Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum287/)
-   -   Tools On Board (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1553745-tools-on-board.html)

Branford 09-01-2018 03:17 PM

Tools On Board

I have a 2018 SD pulling a fifth wheel for the first time. Up until now, I had a bumper pull toy hauler and I was able to carry tools and such in the back under the cover without issue. This year I started to look for some sort of tool box that would fit under the cover when I'm not towing and offer a secure way of storing basic tools. I also need something that size wise fits behind the drivers seat as I haul fencing for the yard rats behind the passengers seat (all in front of the hitch). I'd also like something that can't be lifted out of the truck as well as keeping it dry if it should rain (like on the last trip). So far, I have found something that might work from Home Depot although I'm not sure how I would secure it. I'd like to able to keep people honest if I happened to stop somewhere and had to leave the truck unattended for an hour for a meal or something. Hopefully theres some sort of cost effective solution that I haven't found yet. Surely others have solved this before. I'm looking for ideas.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-3...R-OS/300748555

gasman6674 09-01-2018 06:56 PM

I have a black plastic/structural foam box that I carry in front of the bed but I carry firewood/kindling and wood blocks for leveling. It fits under my soft topper with out issue. I stopped carrying tools in it because I had to clime in to the bed which is a pain. I carry tools and a bottle jack in a little wheeler tool box from Plano. it works well and sets at the rear of the bed for easy access. I carry the basic but cheap tools so if they walk I would be upset but not out a lot of money. I carry bungees and roap in plastic ammo cans and they work great.

wrvond 09-01-2018 07:18 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...3be8c31fcb.jpg

Originally Posted by Branford (Post 18171966)
I have a 2018 SD pulling a fifth wheel for the first time. Up until now, I had a bumper pull toy hauler and I was able to carry tools and such in the back under the cover without issue. This year I started to look for some sort of tool box that would fit under the cover when I'm not towing and offer a secure way of storing basic tools. I also need something that size wise fits behind the drivers seat as I haul fencing for the yard rats behind the passengers seat (all in front of the hitch). I'd also like something that can't be lifted out of the truck as well as keeping it dry if it should rain (like on the last trip). So far, I have found something that might work from Home Depot although I'm not sure how I would secure it. I'd like to able to keep people honest if I happened to stop somewhere and had to leave the truck unattended for an hour for a meal or something. Hopefully theres some sort of cost effective solution that I haven't found yet. Surely others have solved this before. I'm looking for ideas.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-3...R-OS/300748555

Wow! That's one serious tool box!
I have an aluminum tool box purchased from Tractor Supply. It came with four self tapping screws to bolt it to the bed, but being reluctant to drill more holes in my bed, I simply bought two turnbuckles with hooks that I use between the handles of the box and the lower tie downs in the corners of the bed. It holds an amazing amount of stuff.

SecondChance 09-02-2018 08:01 AM

In an F250 with a fifth wheel, I'd be concerned about the weight of that Ridgid box. I've helped lift one and they're HEAVY! We have a large aluminum box permanently mounted at the front of the bed that works very well and holds a lot. It's one of those that sits in the bed rather than having the wings over the bed rails.

Rob

Branford 09-02-2018 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by wrvond (Post 18172317)

Wow! That's one serious tool box!
I have an aluminum tool box purchased from Tractor Supply. It came with four self tapping screws to bolt it to the bed, but being reluctant to drill more holes in my bed, I simply bought two turnbuckles with hooks that I use between the handles of the box and the lower tie downs in the corners of the bed. It holds an amazing amount of stuff.

I like what you have except I want it to be roughly 26 inches wide as I want to share that space with fencing for the small herd I cart with us. I'm also concerned that opening from the top might be an issue with the cover I have on the truck. I don't have any photos at this time unfortunately. That's why I posted here to see what others have done. Thanks for the great photo.

Branford 09-02-2018 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by SecondChance (Post 18172913)
In an F250 with a fifth wheel, I'd be concerned about the weight of that Ridgid box. I've helped lift one and they're HEAVY! We have a large aluminum box permanently mounted at the front of the bed that works very well and holds a lot. It's one of those that sits in the bed rather than having the wings over the bed rails.

Rob

I'm good on weight. My trailer is pretty light however the box is a little big and I'm not a big fan of the bright orange color either. I don't believe this will be my solution. It was just an example. That one is the smaller one they carry but still heavy just empty. I was down at Bomgaars and found a nice little black one that looks like it will work. It opens to the front also. I carry tools just in case so that'll be fine. I just don't know how I'd secure it to the truck. How did you mount yours?

scraprat 09-02-2018 09:57 AM

If you don't want the style that the top opens because of possible interference with your bed cover that leaves the front open style that mounts under the frame of a flatbed/ box trailer (Dee Zee one brand name) but would there be enough room for the door to come down (open) so it doesn't hit the 5th hitch? Mounting it would be screwing into the bed floor. Now being aluminum bed you would have use proper screws/ bolts so it doesn't badly react to the toolbox or the truck bed.

Branford 09-02-2018 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by scraprat (Post 18173047)
If you don't want the style that the top opens because of possible interference with your bed cover that leaves the front open style that mounts under the frame of a flatbed/ box trailer (Dee Zee one brand name) but would there be enough room for the door to come down (open) so it doesn't hit the 5th hitch? Mounting it would be screwing into the bed floor. Now being aluminum bed you would have use proper screws/ bolts so it doesn't badly react to the toolbox or the truck bed.

Exactly or I put it sideways so the door swings open to the middle. I don't need a huge box. I want something that's easy to remove but somehow secured to the truck and will hold the rain out etc. I'm not planning on needing access to it every day (and hopefully never; much like a spare tire). One trip I did find myself using my impact tools to swap tires on my trailer. So...just thought I'd see what ideas folks have.

scraprat 09-02-2018 11:49 AM

If you're carrying impact tools along with 5th wheel then there is a air compressor/ jacks stands. I'm all for what *if* but a line has to be drawn. What happened to old school breaker bar, brute force and choice words. }>

Branford 09-02-2018 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by scraprat (Post 18173216)
If you're carrying impact tools along with 5th wheel then there is a air compressor/ jacks stands. I'm all for what *if* but a line has to be drawn. What happened to old school breaker bar, brute force and choice words. }>

Actually choice words are usually there. I carry my Ryobi 18v impact driver and that works great and a breaker bar to finish it off. I'd just like a place to store those when I travel. I also carry a socket set and a bag full of basic tools like pliers, screwdrivers and the like. Nothing too major but it does include some impact sockets. I will usually pack a jack and one stand as well. I don't need those in a tool box. They can get wet etc. It's really not all that much. I'd just like a nice box fixed to the bed somehow to store them under lock and key.

Shovelheadrob 09-03-2018 01:42 PM

Have you considered the Undercover swing case? Reasonably secure, waterproof, I have one which I keep a few tools & tie downs etc in.

Branford 09-03-2018 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelheadrob (Post 18174691)
Have you considered the Undercover swing case? Reasonably secure, waterproof, I have one which I keep a few tools & tie downs etc in.

Are you speaking about these?

I did look at these but I couldn't find one that fit on my truck. They also look light duty based on the reviews. I would be open to it though if something should come along.

Wes444 09-03-2018 06:52 PM

Here's mine
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f9ba0dcc2f.jpg
Below the rails so i can toss the shell on it whenever, 28 inches from cab to lock

Holds more than you'd want in your F250 tho. Currently a 5 ton floor jack, 5 gallons of oil and a new filter, 5 gallon jug of diesel, 5 gal of distilled water, 16 gal water/meth, jug of coolant, fuel additives, gallon of simple green, couple different greases, gasoila, ceramic brake lube, mechanics gloves, overalls, paper towl rolls, spare parts, and one of every tool I've ever needed to work on the truck n 5er

Shovelheadrob 09-03-2018 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Branford (Post 18175105)
Are you speaking about these?

I did look at these but I couldn't find one that fit on my truck. They also look light duty based on the reviews. I would be open to it though if something should come along.

https://www.amazon.com/Undercover-SC...box+swing+case

That's the one's, my truck is a 2000 & I've had mine a few years so I don't know if anything has changed. But I'm happy with the product & it's easy to access, although I've never actually used it while the trailer is hooked up.

ibdagriz 09-04-2018 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wesley Green (Post 18175133)
Holds more than you'd want in your F250 tho. and one of every tool I've ever needed to work on the truck n 5er

I'm thinking that might make the SD ride a bit better all around if I loaded up about half of your list and kept it in there all the time.

Griz