Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Cali smog question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1553520-cali-smog-question.html)

Bonanza35 08-30-2018 06:38 PM

Cali smog question

1999 F350 dually,crewcab 7.3 w/4" exhaust. Just failed smog. First time ever, pretty much stock except F5 that was set to stock tune and hid away. Always did this before and always passed. Said OBDII notready fail. Comprehensive Component. Asked what that was, he didn't know, take it to shop. I have know codes on my terrminator scan gauge. Can these machines now read PCM for tuners? Been this way for years and no problem. Like to here what you have to offer. Going to pull it all the way out saturday I guess. What a pain. This guy has been really easy in the pass, first thing he said, Diesel? So maybe he's scared but don't know why it would be printed on his paper work. Thanks for your help.

Sous 08-30-2018 08:29 PM

Found this on the interwebs, but don't know if it helps.

Originally Posted by interwebs
How the status of your vehicle’s emission systems becomes “ready” again:
Driving the vehicle in a normal fashion may allow your vehicle’s to become
“ready”. However, for certain emission systems and certain vehicles, the status
returns to “ready” only after driving the vehicle a specific way. This specific “drive
cycle” is determined by the manufacturer. Speak to your repair technician
regarding this drive cycle and what you or your repair technician should do to
prepare for your retest.
If you perform your own repairs and do not have a scan tool, you should drive the
vehicle in a “normal” fashion for up to a week. This “normal” driving should
include both “stop-and-go” driving as well as cruising speed driving. You are
entitled to one free test within 60 days of every paid test, until your vehicle
passes the inspection.

The Brad 08-30-2018 08:35 PM

Have you recently cleared codes, or disconnected the batteries? The PCM needs to see a certain amount of drive cycles under varying conditions before the readiness test is complete.

Edit: I just realized Sous said the same thing.

viperman86 08-30-2018 09:01 PM

monitors not ready means you need to drive it about 100-200 miles because the computer is still learning. you want to split it 50/50 with highway and city driving. also the fuel tank MUST be at least half full. 3/4 is preferable.

you can check the monitors with a obd2 scanner. you have to scroll thru and check each one, such as EVAP, CAT, etc ect .... It will say monitors "ready" . under new law, ALL monitors must be "ready" for a diesel. during this time do not reset your tune or battery, that will start you at square one ....hope this helps

Bonanza35 08-30-2018 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Brad (Post 18168928)
Have you recently cleared codes, or disconnected the batteries? The PCM needs to see a certain amount of drive cycles under varying conditions before the readiness test is complete.

Edit: I just realized Sous said the same thing.

No I haven't reset codes or discounted the batteries. He asked me if I had a tuner in it and I said no. I forgot to unplug the scan gauge that plugs into the OBS port. And it did switch tunes a couple of time right before I went up there when I hid it behind the panel. This has happen before with the tunes and had no problem. I didn't drive it that far before I went down there just maybe that was it. But it was driven a lot yesterday. Maybe we can check this Saturday if you don't mind. Only other thing I can think of is take the F5 out all together. Like I said it was on the stock tune. Pisses me off. My son has to do his to next week and it is a 6.0 with a flashed IDM. We'll see I guess. Oh, and the tank was almost full. I didn't think the PCM reads for the Cat? There is know sensor for it.

BBslider001 08-31-2018 08:01 AM

Hmmmmmm.....this darn state sometimes. It's my home, but Jeezus. Anyways, I went through the exact same thing with a '98 Volvo wagon a few years ago. You might make sure there isn't a provision for the OBDII not being ready. There was for the Volvo, but it took two months out of my life and some digging to find it out. I guess you could also take the tuner out completely. That shouldn't be a big deal.

For you other guys, do any of our tuners show OBDII readiness? I didn't think they did.

timmyboy76 08-31-2018 10:17 AM

Hey Chet...dump the f5 and give it a run for a few miles like BB nentioned. Then, hit a small town..(menifee, cherry valley..etc) one that doesnt have a high pooulation. There, ask for a PRE-Inspection. This way, its just a undocumented test. If pass, then have it redone....i remember when woodcrest was just that. A town that was once great to live in. No riffraff bs around, then it went and got itself in a big damn hurry...the "smog" garage there would pass a skateboard:-X22

brian42 08-31-2018 10:25 AM

I will tell you that I've never had a problem with my chip (6-position and Hydra). My 6-position chip and my Hydra don't show anything. With the 6-position I turned it to '1' (stock) when I parked at the station. I put my Hydra in my smog test tune when I parked at the station this last time. No issues with OBDII.

I'm not sure what's going on with it but if it were me at this point I would be doing what I needed to do to get it to pass. I'd disconnect the batteries (to pull the chip and reset the truck), pull the chip, fill up the tank, and drive for 200 miles. That should be enough to guarantee that all the monitors have run the course and (hopefully) flagged satisfactory completion.

To hedge your bets I would follow timmyboy76's advice above and call around to find a shop to do a pre-inspection just to make sure there aren't any issues.

It happens to the best of us. I learned my lesson 15 years ago with my F-150 when I repaired a radiator fan, connected the batteries, and tried to get it smogged that afternoon (only put about 20 miles on the truck).

viperman86 08-31-2018 10:39 AM

if they see a knob the tech might notice it and fail you because they know it's a chip. If it's tuned with SCT or hand held there is no way for them to know. Either way it doesn't matter because your monitors aren't ready, you have to drive it 100 miles and check the monitors with a scanner.

Njstern87 08-31-2018 10:51 AM

Somhow or another your pcm lost power, weather by flashing a tune, disconnecting a battery or somthing. It could also be from lack of driving if your truck if it is a spare vehicle. Your PCM controls several components of your vehicle, some of wich need to report to the pcm they are ready and working for the pcm to get proper feedback to determine if a fault has occured wich would set a check engine light. There is a prescribed sequence of events that has to occure for all the devices to report they are ready and able to function. Usualy that sequence involves ideling, driveing at various speeds for a certain ammount of time, different RPM,s, engine temp, exhaust temp, etc. Once all the paramiters have been meet than the pcm will show “ready” and can than accuratly illuminae the check engine light if its still has a wierd readig from a sensor. If its “not ready” than the right sequence if events hasent happened recently enough for the pcm to get an accurate reading from the various seonsors. This prevents false check engine lights, it also prevents people from gaming the system by disconnecting the batteries in an effort to shut off the check engine light to pass smog.

long story short drive your truck for a few days and take it back, tell the tech it failed because it wasnt “ready” and ask them to do a pre check first. If it shows ready than have them do the actual smog test.

'88 E-350 08-31-2018 11:08 AM

My '02 is ready within a few minutes driving after clearing the ECM, I think yours should be too. Much of the stuff being talked about with drive cycles and fuel level is for gassers, newer diesels may also take a long time to be ready but I've never checked. I think you only have 2 monitors and they should set pretty quickly.

If you have a scanner check the monitors, readiness test. You may see some that are N/A, ignore those. What you need to look for is any that show INC, incomplete. When they show OK you're ready. If you tweaked the tune or connected/disconnected anything from the OBD port shortly before the test it could have 'reset' the monitors. AFAIK they can't see the tune and only look for the monitors to indicate everything's "OK".

brian42 08-31-2018 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by viperman86 (Post 18169916)
if they see a knob the tech might notice it and fail you because they know it's a chip.

True. My shop cares more about under the hood than in the cab. I've done my last 3 tests with a cable coming out of the PCM box and it wasn't an issue. With my 6-pos chip I mounted the switch (no labeling) on the dash that was not an issue for 2 tests. My Hydra this last time I set the tune, removed the head (put it in my pocket), and tucked the ribbon inside the dash so it wouldn't catch the technicians eye and that worked like a charm.

If they look under the dash it's game over when they see that cord but so far it's not been a problem. I didn't buy the USB extension cable to pull the Hydra out, even if it's only every couple of years. Besides, the PCM connection foils aren't going to last forever doing that.

So it turns out that the cheapo looking ribbon-sticking-out-of-the-dash-and-velcro-the-Hydra-head-to-the-dashboard standard mounting option was a good thing (even though it looks terrible it is very practical for me).

Bonanza35 08-31-2018 12:31 PM

Guys thanks for the replies! There was know F5 controller to see, I hid it. I think what happen was I forgot to unplug the areo scan gauge I have, bought from RR, it's terrminators version, and then he plugged in his scanner. Also It was driven every day except yesterday before the test. I drove it about 4 miles to his shop and said go for it. I don't know how the PCM could of lost power, it always starts right up and it is a daily driver, and I never discounted the batteries. I just went on a 3500 mile trip three weeks ago. I've done this for ten years like this except I always warm it up first by going down the freeway. I was in a hurry for the grand daughters party yesterday. I want to scan this before I take it back. And that's a good idea about the pretest, I'll see if he will do that. He only smogs so I'm not sure. Never had a problem with this guy in the pass, I've sent people to him even. He looked at my 4 gauges and asked after he failed me if one was a tuner. Maybe he got in trouble for something. I plan to take it back next week, I will report back what happens. I don't want to go to a referee, I do have four inch exhaust going to the cat.

BBslider001 08-31-2018 12:39 PM

Here in Nebraska, there is none of this horsechit...BUT it's Western Nebraska....IE NOTHING to do except horses and cattle. Looks like I have lots to deal with when I get back. My truck is all stock except for a Cody tunes TS chip and AFE Intake. I can just hide the knob though.

Bonanza35 08-31-2018 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by BBslider001 (Post 18170205)
Here in Nebraska, there is none of this horsepoop....BUT it's Western Nebraska....IE NOTHIGN to do except horses and cattle. Looks like I have lots to deal with when I get back. My truck is all stock except for a Cody tunes TS chip and AFE Intake. I can just hide the knob though.

See, that's what I've always done. I was wondering if they can now detect the tuner anyway. But maybe I just need to drive it. Don't know why unless the oil temp wasn't high enough. If I thought it lost power, I would of drove it first. Need to see what a different scanner says!