Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   What to look for in a used F250/gas/4x2 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1553105-what-to-look-for-in-a-used-f250-gas-4x2.html)

misspeabodi 08-27-2018 01:40 PM

What to look for in a used F250/gas/4x2

Greetings all!

So, I've always loved Fords and I finally have a reason to buy an F250! I'm super stoked! I do plan to buy used and I know for sure I want a gas, 4x2, within the year range of 2009-2015/16. I plan to haul a TT with it, under 10k, probably closer to 8k in weight. I have towed trailers and driven larger trucks, so I'm familiar with that much, but have never shopped for a tow vehicle. I want something reliable that I can haul across the country (MS to OR), but will also use it as my DD for a while, using it for minimal towing. Given this, I'm curious what's the smallest engine I could get away with based on what I plan to tow with it. What are must-haves that I need to shop for in a used truck? Would it be wise to buy one with a factory tow package? I want to keep cost down, but am willing to invest where it matters. I don't care much about the interior (vinyl seats suck but I can make due with them). I'm more about efficiency and reliable performance. I welcome all thoughts, but I am sure I want to stay with gas, and I have no need for a 4x4. I would prefer an extended cab of some kind, but it's not absolutely necessary. Another concern is buying one that is on the fringe of parts starting to break. I'm sure most can relate to trying to avoid major repairs for at least the first year with a new (used) truck. I can handle my own light maintenance, oil changes, air filters and other stuff as needed if I can find how-to videos on youtube and it's not too in-depth.

I found this so far--is it too good to be true? https://www.graydanielschevy.com/Veh...75745463#close

Juneaudave 08-27-2018 05:56 PM

The 5.4 l was the small engine in the 1999 to the 2010 (Gen 1 and Gen 2) F250s. The 2010 you linked to pulls 300 hp and 365 lb-ft of torque. It will haul 8000 fine....there are lots of them around.

If you can afford it and you can find one you like, I think a better choice is to step up to a Gen 3 (2011 to 2016) model. That gets you the 6.2 l with 385 hp, 405 lb-ft torque and the 6 R140 6 speed (as opposed to the 5 speed in the 2010).

I've not had any problems with either the 5.4 l in my 2001 (185,000 miles) or the 6.2 l in my 2015 (40,000 miles).

misspeabodi 08-28-2018 11:36 AM

Cool beans. Thank you for pointing that out. One of the overwhelming parts of shopping for a truck (which I knew it would be) is figuring out the setup I want and need, as far as engine and features. I am now familiar with the fact that I need to have a tow package (right?) and the Gen 3 is where I need to focus.

'65Ford 08-28-2018 12:55 PM

I don't think you can go too far wrong with F250's from 2009 and newer so long as you're don't run into a rust bucket. The 2011 and newer gassers seem to have very few complaints. Guys that have the 6.2 love it like they want to marry it. Rarely if ever hear anything bad about the trannies either.

misspeabodi 08-28-2018 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by '65Ford (Post 18164297)
I don't think you can go too far wrong with F250's from 2009 and newer so long as you're don't run into a rust bucket. The 2011 and newer gassers seem to have very few complaints. Guys that have the 6.2 love it like they want to marry it. Rarely if ever hear anything bad about the trannies either.

In that case, I can't wait to get engaged haha

Good to know about the trannies too. :) Thanks for the comment! :)

Djosbun 08-28-2018 01:55 PM

I’m not into trannies, but I have no problem with people that want to live a different lifestyle. It’s just not for me.

— Dave

sunuvabug 08-28-2018 04:10 PM

IMHO, the tow package is a must unless you want to invest a lot of aftermarket dollars (which you will do anyway for some thinsg like a weight distribution hitch etc.). With the tow package, you get upgraded spring packs with the rear helper springs, usually a rear and sometimes a front anti-sway bar, factory hitch receiver with 4 and 7 point wiring. Not sure about the brake controller ... wasn't standard on the older SD's but the newer ones may be different. Also, you definitely want tow mirrors ... they stick out further, are taller and come in manual or electric controls, some are heated, and they can come with or without blinkers.

Dang! I just realized I probably mixed some camper package options in with the tow package options. I have both options on my older 2001 so somebody else will have to separate which option goes with which package. However, I still recommend having all of the above one way or another to make your towing life easier.

CPaulsen 08-28-2018 06:03 PM

Or go with a V-10. My 08 F250 has the tow package...integrated brake controller .....all the required wiring...power tow mirrors......4:10 gears........but pulling my 13K 5th wheel........only get about 8-9 MPG and empty about 13-14 MPG........but no lack of power.

misspeabodi 08-28-2018 06:24 PM

Thanks sunuvabug, that helps a lot!
​​​​A follow up question though...say I find a truck that has a tow package but no brake controller, how heavy does a load need to be where that becomes crucial to have? I may skip the camper if I can find a place to live before I move, therefore I may only pull a large trailer (not sure how much it'd weigh, but not more than 4000)

kd0axs 08-28-2018 08:45 PM

I have the 3V 5.4 in my 2005, same engine in the one you posted the link to. It's a great engine, no complaints about mine. It does have its limitations though. I've pulled about 10,000 lbs around town with it in the form of a skid loader and a couple attachments. It does that just fine. This spring, I purchased a TT that weighs about the same. It quickly became apparent that the 5.4 was just not up to the task. The trailer is ~11 feet tall (12 at the top of the AC unit) and 8.5 feet wide. This makes for far more wind resistance which requires far more power to go down the highway. That's why I just upgraded to a Diesel. Unless you've got a really low profile TT, I'd recommend going at least with the V-10 or a 2011+ with the 6.2.

As far as the trailer brakes go, they're required by law. The requirements vary by state, but in most states brakes are required on any trailer over 3000 lbs. It's not a big deal if the truck you find doesn't have the controller, you can always install an aftermarket one. Factory installed brake controllers didn't even exist until Ford first offered them in 2005. Prior to that, aftermarket was the only option.

Squisher 08-28-2018 09:57 PM

The moral of the story is go 2011+ with a 6.2 6 speed. You'll have no regrets.

sunuvabug 08-29-2018 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by misspeabodi (Post 18164850)
Thanks sunuvabug, that helps a lot!
​​​​A follow up question though...say I find a truck that has a tow package but no brake controller, how heavy does a load need to be where that becomes crucial to have? I may skip the camper if I can find a place to live before I move, therefore I may only pull a large trailer (not sure how much it'd weigh, but not more than 4000)

You're welcome misspeabodi! My 2001 was too old to have an OEM brake controller as standard equipment. They were included in later years (not sure when Ford started offering them as OEM equipment). I bought a used Tekonsha Prodigy 2 on Kijiji (like Craigslist). Works great for my needs which is pulling a 3,500 lb. cargo trailer while hauling our 3,500 lb. truck camper at the same time (so about an additional 7,000 lb. over empty).

For the first couple of years of driving with that trailer/truck camper combination, I did not have a brake controller. After installing the Prodigy 2, there is a big positive difference with it ... especially driving in the mountains and specifically when descending steep/er grades or making unexpected panic stops. The brake controller shares the slowing down with your truck's brakes, gives you greater control and certainly boosts confidence in your equipment handling ability.

5851a 08-29-2018 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Squisher (Post 18165193)

X2, XLT works fine for my use, towing package nice too. Seems 4:10 hard to come by, I have 3.73 and works fine for me. Great truck. Make sure it will fit in your garage.

misspeabodi 08-30-2018 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Squisher (Post 18165193)

That's definitely what I'm shopping now. I found a promising one--2013 XL, 6.2, 4x2, with 58k for $17,900. We'll see what happens! :)

Random question for anyone that reads this--I'm seeing a lot of these with flex fuel. I read a little on them saying it's not a big deal fuel wise, but what concerns me is the long-term maintenance. Anybody had one that experienced issues down the road? I like to keep things simple and to me it seems like a plain gas engine would have less chance of having issues, but I don't know. I welcome input on this.

ibdagriz 08-30-2018 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by misspeabodi (Post 18167901)
That's definitely what I'm shopping now. I found a promising one--2013 XL, 6.2, 4x2, with 58k for $17,900. We'll see what happens! :)

Random question for anyone that reads this--I'm seeing a lot of these with flex fuel. I read a little on them saying it's not a big deal fuel wise,.

Buy the 2013. Don't sweat the flex fuel thing as most folks never run the stuff in their truck anyway.

Griz