Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Motorcraft PM-22 User Alert (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1552200-motorcraft-pm-22-user-alert.html)

mtnguy 08-20-2018 09:14 AM

Motorcraft PM-22 User Alert

1st off, this is not a discussion on fuel additives and whether they are needed or not. :-roll

I regularly add Motorcraft PM-22 to my fuel during fill-ups. I also wipe the filler tube with a paper towel after filling up, and glad I did after adding the PM-22 after 1 fill up. While wiping the filler tube, I saw the seal from the cap stuck in the filler tube. It apparently stuck to the bottle before I dumped the additive and was laying in the filler tube. I am not sure what would have happened if the cap went into the tank unnoticed, but I would rather not find out. :-X15

This could also probably happen when adding PM-23 during the winter.

Just a word of warning to those that use the Motorcraft additives. :-jammin

HRTKD 08-20-2018 09:26 AM

There are a few threads out there of guys having fuel related problems that turned out to be the seal in the fuel tank. Because of these threads I've been very careful when opening my fuel treatment bottles.

The Bone 08-20-2018 05:22 PM

I put my cetane in a empty sta-bul bottle. Its easier to measure that way. I have not had a issue with the paper cap thing because I do this.

my_crib_too 08-20-2018 10:14 PM

You have to be very careful and aware when using pm22 in small or medium size. Lots of new people here and this is a great reminder.

Bruce

HRTKD 08-20-2018 11:35 PM

This week I started using small bottles for my fuel treatment. I use PM-22a and Better Diesel Fuel Burn Catalyst. By putting them in pre-measured individual bottles it did two things:
1. Greatly decreased the time it takes me to fuel up. Dump one bottle of pre-measured PM-22a, then dump the pre-measured bottle of FBC. Piece of cake. No measuring, no mess. Very fast.
2. Removed the worry about the lid disk.

In one bottle I have 7 oz of PM-22a which I use when filling the tank when it's close to empty. I have a second bottle with 4 oz in it for when I do a fill when the gauge is just below half. Then I have a third bottle with 2 oz of FBC in it. I considered mixing the PM-22a with the FBC so it's just one bottle to dump in, but decided to keep them separate since the ratios are different.

MPawelek 08-21-2018 05:34 AM

I would think that a teeny spot of grease between the seal and cap would keep everything in place.

djousma 08-21-2018 07:16 AM

I reuse my Stanadyne bottles that I fill from the half gallons. Long ago, I removed the cardboard seals. I store 1/2 a dozen of them in the bed of my truck prefilled. Lids are on tight, but they can leak a little bit, but not enough to worry about. I keep them stood up in the storage box.

Chuck-B 08-22-2018 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by HRTKD (Post 18151277)
This week I started using small bottles for my fuel treatment. I use PM-22a and Better Diesel Fuel Burn Catalyst. By putting them in pre-measured individual bottles it did two things:
1. Greatly decreased the time it takes me to fuel up. Dump one bottle of pre-measured PM-22a, then dump the pre-measured bottle of FBC. Piece of cake. No measuring, no mess. Very fast.
2. Removed the worry about the lid disk.

In one bottle I have 7 oz of PM-22a which I use when filling the tank when it's close to empty. I have a second bottle with 4 oz in it for when I do a fill when the gauge is just below half. Then I have a third bottle with 2 oz of FBC in it. I considered mixing the PM-22a with the FBC so it's just one bottle to dump in, but decided to keep them separate since the ratios are different.

I do exactly the same thing. I have 3 premeasured bottles sitting in the little storage compartment in the driver's side back door. I buy gallon jugs of PM-22a and fill the little bottles. I don't think I'll ever get used to running my truck until the "low fuel" light comes on.

Deuce40s 08-24-2018 04:02 PM

Where are y'all getting these little bottles? I just bought my first 20oz bottle and used the rectangular measuring cup that comes with weed killer to get the right amount in the tank. That's not gonna happen again.

my_crib_too 08-25-2018 08:03 AM

I use 4 oz per tank and measure using the marks on the side of the plastic bottle. Even when filling a half tank, 4 oz are used.

Bruce

Painted Horse 08-25-2018 08:34 AM

I use the Opti-Lube Summer Cetane Boost and it came in a gallon jug. Each squirt is 1 oz
When I fill up I just wait till I get home ( always fill up pretty close to home anyway) and pump in the right amount.
If I'm traveling farther from home, I carry the 8 oz clear bottle I got from Opti-Lube years ago and dump in the amount I think I need. But it's never as accurate as the pump.
And using the pump there is no chance of any lids falling into the tank

I've also been adding some Better Burn Diesel Fuel Catalyst additive this past month. With their 16 oz bottle, You squeeze 1 oz up into the top and pour it in. With a 48 gallon fuel tank, I usually have to add 2 oz. of the BBDFC

I'm not terrible consistent about making sure I add the additives every tank. But I use it most tanks.

Chuck-B 08-27-2018 08:42 AM

Just Google 4oz Glass Bottles - here's some on Amazon -

Deuce40s 08-27-2018 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck-B (Post 18161717)
Just Google 4oz Glass Bottles - here's some on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/slp/4-oz-glas...ydtcmv4tcfw5nc

I saw those but I thought they might jingle in the door pocket. :D

I just stuck the whole 20oz bottle in there and I'll use the gradations on the side.

Chuck-B 08-28-2018 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Deuce40s (Post 18161728)
I saw those but I thought they might jingle in the door pocket. :D

I just stuck the whole 20oz bottle in there and I'll use the gradations on the side.

They do, I wrapped a piece of bubble wrap around each one. 3 bottles with bubble wrap fit perfectly in the lower deal in the left rear door panel. In CT they still allow us to have the little deal in the pump so you don't have to stand there squeezing the handle for the fuel to come out. So while fuel is pumping into the tank I mess with the little bottles - gives me something to do.

dirthawg 08-29-2018 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck-B (Post 18153408)
I buy gallon jugs of PM-22a and fill the little bottles.

You must be getting a good deal on those gallon jugs. I get my 20oz bottles from Amazon and they are currently cheaper per oz than the gallon jug.