Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Arizona DPF delete? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1551340-arizona-dpf-delete.html)

kd2dwj 08-12-2018 11:57 PM

Arizona DPF delete?

Anyone do a full delete here in Arizona?

Maricopa Cty does visual and sniffer tests, really want to do the delete because I’m sick of my truck sounding like a Prius and getting crappy fuel millage, but I don’t need it failing inspection so I can’t drive it lol

thanks in advance

e23barton 08-13-2018 12:23 AM

Just hold on to it and put it back on before you have to do inspection. I haven't removed mine yet but that's what I personally plan on doing.

ymsmiley 08-14-2018 05:38 PM

Unless its some kind of out-of-state inspection AZ state won't find out or care but most folks are swayed on the delete since the dealership will care

TX03RUBI 08-14-2018 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by e23barton (Post 18137106)
Just hold on to it and put it back on before you have to do inspection. I haven't removed mine yet but that's what I personally plan on doing.

This is MUCH easier said than done. The EGR would be a huge pain in the ass.

CBEllis 08-15-2018 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by TX03RUBI (Post 18140724)

^^Agree 100%^^
You don’t want to remove and reinstall and remove and reinstall when inspection time rolls around.

Tricon 08-15-2018 08:30 PM

You wont see a mileage increase btw, maybe .5-1mpg, max.

Itll sound better though...but thats a lot of money to spend for sound. EGR delete, DPF/DEF delete, tuner, etc....all just for sound.

UGA33 08-15-2018 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by TX03RUBI (Post 18140724)

Originally Posted by CBEllis (Post 18142564)

^^Agree 100%^^
You don’t want to remove and reinstall and remove and reinstall when inspection time rolls around.

If one were going to swap back annually, I would recommend running block off plates as it would keep the exhaust gas off the EGR valve and keep it from "coking" up. Block off plates keep the EGR cooler on the truck. Takes literally 5-10 mins to install them.

If you just run a delete pipe vs a full exhaust, the DPF can be put back on in under an hour easily. Once you do it a couple times, it can be done in 30 mins. Order the sensor plug kit to keep them clean and you can literally be back to stock in under an hour. That time includes the tune back to stock. If you only had to do it once a year, that's easy.

Adam R 08-16-2018 03:24 AM

What about a stealth delete? Block off plates and gut the factory exhaust system. That way it would look completely stock.

Not sure much it would affect the sound, but I'd be more worried about visually tipping off an emissions inspector.

C_Smitty 08-16-2018 07:26 AM

The visual and sniffer tests here in AZ are only for out of state vehicles that are getting registered in AZ. Also vehicles don't need any kind of emissions testing until the vehicle is over 5 years old. So you have 5 years to either put the emissions back on for the test and get it registered for 2 more years, or get the vehicle registered in a zip code that isn't in Maricopa and doesn't require emissions testing. I deleted my truck once I hit 5k miles...

honda250xtitan 08-16-2018 08:35 AM

Register it in Pinal County.

kd2dwj 08-17-2018 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by honda250xtitan (Post 18143370)
Register it in Pinal County.

okay, I’m going to do the delete.

how can I register in pinal without buying property there? I heard they don’t let you register to PO boxes anymore

honda250xtitan 08-17-2018 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by kd2dwj (Post 18144788)

okay, I’m going to do the delete.

how can I register in pinal without buying property there? I heard they don’t let you register to PO boxes anymore

Best bet is look through your rolodex and see who lives out there and make a call.....I think Wickenburg works too. Arizona Trucking Association on 75th ave and Lower Buckeye/Buckeye is easy to deal with for registering.

texasjonathan 08-17-2018 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by UGA33 (Post 18142761)

If one were going to swap back annually, I would recommend running block off plates as it would keep the exhaust gas off the EGR valve and keep it from "coking" up. Block off plates keep the EGR cooler on the truck. Takes literally 5-10 mins to install them.

If you just run a delete pipe vs a full exhaust, the DPF can be put back on in under an hour easily. Once you do it a couple times, it can be done in 30 mins. Order the sensor plug kit to keep them clean and you can literally be back to stock in under an hour. That time includes the tune back to stock. If you only had to do it once a year, that's easy.

uga what plates are you using? I thought you had to remove the egr cooler to install the plates. If I can install without removing the cooler, I want to. Don’t want my egr valve coking up.

UGA33 08-17-2018 03:54 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...17d86c2933.jpg

Originally Posted by texasjonathan (Post 18145139)

uga what plates are you using? I thought you had to remove the egr cooler to install the plates. If I can install without removing the cooler, I want to. Don’t want my egr valve coking up.

No Limit plates. Around $100 bucks.

pkarhoff 08-18-2018 01:05 PM

Here is some info I've gathered from tuning/tricking my 17 SCREW F-250.

I live in SE Pima and did a full DOC/SCR/DPF delete and blocked the EGR. I use GDP 200HP Low Smoke ECU tune with the PPEI 1.1.1 TCM tune. I run a 4" DP back pipe to an AFE straight muffler and from the muffler a 5" out to a 6" fluted tip. I did it this way to keep the gasses from expanding so quickly and having poor down low acceleration. So far it seems to be pretty good. I also removed the throttle body adapter and went with a machined aluminum direct adapter for the cold CAC tube. I am experimenting with designing my own catch can for the CCV but as of yet still have it stock. So far my unloaded MPG went from 17.X to 21.x combined city/highway and I have run it for 6000 miles. GDP seems to have the edge on the ECU and MPG vs PPEI to me where PPEI has the edge on the TCM. PPEI ECU tunes are snappy and very good just poor fuel mileage and more smoke. The acceleration is night and day better than stock at all points.The smoke, as the tune indicates, is low and in my case non-existent while driving normal. Under load or for a brief moment while getting on it there will be a little smoke but in both cases it subsides once the turbo spins up to provide the boosted air. While Tucson does require emissions I live just outside the required area so I am not required to get it. You can verify that you are required by looking on AZ DEQ website. If you find that you live outside the area you can call them and they will remove the requirement from the MVD system.

Some of the levels I have now are:

Exhaust Manifold Pressure: Between 1.0 and 7.0 idle and cruising. It will momentarily go higher on heavy acceleration. Using the exhaust brake it hits in the high 30s. For reference, at stock it was always higher than 12 for me.

Turbo Pressure: Between .02 and 34 depending on throttle but usually is within 1 to 3 of the Exhaust unless braking, idle or accelerating.

Turbo Vane Position: Between 27 and 47 cruising on the highway and 27 and 60 in town. With exhaust brake on it will hit 99 and under a very heavy acceleration it has gone to 0.

Injector Pressure: 4.6K PSI at start/idle and with this tune seen as high as 29K PSI under heavy acceleration. I'm still trying to find the upper limit for both pressure and quantity on the Bosch 4.2s but cannot get a solid number. Some numbers have stated that it will handle 38K and others only 34K. I am more worried about quantity than pressure as I'd think I'd run the rail out of fuel before hitting the pressure limit. So I have not done anything higher than 200HP. With the Bosh 4.2s it is the low lubricity of the fuel that is the primary factor on them failing. I religiously use the OptiLube XL additive that reports the wear scar of less than 280um as from what I've read the Bosch 4.2s are designed around 450 um or less. Since the diesel here is normally 500+ um it makes sense to me.

Fuel Injector Quantity: Between 11mm/3 to 88+mm/3 depending on load/acceleration.

Engine Coolant Temp: Runs about 192.2 to 194 under normal driving and will hit 206 under load/throttle.

Exhaust Temp: Anywhere from 400 degrees to 800 degrees for normal driving and throttle load. Towing I watch it like a hawk and have a warning set for 1200 so as to slow down and/or down shift but have not hit this yet. I don't tow and go WOT so it may be a bit before I hit it.

I have not had any trouble with warranty. Each time the shop has worked around what I've done and have honored all warranty needs on the truck.

I do not like doing things that are specifically illegal but in this case it is a pure scam in my opinion. I did all modifications myself in my driveway (except for the actual ECU/TCM tunes) so that if any legal trouble were to come it would solely be on me and not anyone else. Everything I say here, again, is my own opinion from what I have experienced.

The truck runs better, gets better mileage and still produces very low exhaust. I am going to get it tested as an experiment to see if it will pass emissions at some point here this fall. The biggest kicker for me was the damned EGR and DPF. There is absolutely no need for the EGR on a diesel period. I don't care what any mech says, it does no good for the engine.

Allow combustion temps to be higher to more efficiently burn the fuel and you do get more NOX. However, it is simple to control that with DEF and DOC. Then the DPF would not fill as fast further reducing the full on waste mode of the "Active Regen" that happens.

Speaking of the DPF, it is a joke right now for many reasons; not the least of which is injecting more diesel on the exhaust throw to raise exhaust temps to burn off the extra soot created by the inefficient burn cause by a damn EGR controlling NOX. Stevie Wonder could see there is a well planned problem purposely put in place here. I'll play the dumb part and say if, I know they have actually, if they could figure a way to use the DPF and have some sort of electrically generated heat to raise the temps to 800+ degrees to burn it off then I'd be on it. Again, this is my opinion and I won't debate it. If you believe the EGR and current DPF is a good thing then bully for you and I am happy you feel that way. You may be right. On the other hand, from what I have researched, installed and done I come to a different conclusion.

I hope this helps some of you on your decision. Have a great weekend.