Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Rear tires slipping again - New coopers on 17" - ball joints - shocks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1551109-rear-tires-slipping-again-new-coopers-on-17-ball-joints-shocks.html)

SatinBlack03 08-10-2018 10:46 PM

Rear tires slipping again - New coopers on 17" - ball joints - shocks

I had 17" wheels installed on my 03 6.8 2wd Lb crew cab, new Cooper AT3 LT 285/65/17 on 17x9 wheel. I also had Bilstein front shocks installed and ball joints replaced today.
I pickup the truck and from a stand still the rear tires when gas is applied sound like there spinning and make a slushing type sound. I had these wheels put on a year ago that time General Grabber 2 and when I took off from a stop they slooshed like crazy, every time the gas was applied they would sloosh pretty bad and there was about a 50% loss of power, this time the power loss is less and the sound is not as loud.
I bought the correct long cone lug nuts (last time we did not and they used two brands all they could source) What could this be? Could it be they used a air gun to tighten them and possibly not done in the correct sequence?

Also the front seems to wander bit after 50 mph, the steering doesn't seem as tight as it was prior.

SatinBlack03 08-10-2018 11:15 PM

The first time the tire shop guys had no idea, didn't try to figure it out and refunded me for all 4 General Grabber tires. We switched the fronts of the Grabbers to the back and they still did it, then they gave up. This was at American tire co in LA Mirada CA

seville009 08-11-2018 03:19 AM

Are you saying the tires are spinning from a dead stop (not gaining traction)?

if you’re just saying that they have a squishy feel to them, that’s normal. They have deep smaller lugs which give more movement. I got that same tire as a summer tire about two years ago. Takes awhile to get used to it.

I had them go way out of balance while they were sitting in my shed this past winter. Not sure why. One was replaced as defective. The other three were balanced, but are still off. I wouldn’t get these tires again.

Chuck's First Ford 08-11-2018 04:10 AM

New tires, shocks, ball joints.. and you did NOT say you Got a front end alignment... ??

New tires come with a lubricant called mode release.... so the tire can be pulled from the mode... might take 50 to 100 miles to wear off...

sounds like you need to find a better tire shop... or redue the lug nuts yourself..

50 years.. I always redue lug nuts... even when the car/truck dealer has removed a wheel/tire...
I know they are done Correct..

82_F100_300Six 08-11-2018 09:38 AM

I don't understand what tires slipping is. Are they spinning on the pavement from lack of traction or are the tires spinning on the rims where they are mounted?

EDC8008 08-11-2018 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six (Post 18134470)
I don't understand what tires slipping is. Are they spinning on the pavement from lack of traction or are the tires spinning on the rims where they are mounted?

I agree, what does “Slipping” mean????

82_F100_300Six 08-11-2018 09:57 AM

It's slushing and slooshing too.

At least it runs good if it's smoking the tires. }>

EDC8008 08-11-2018 10:08 AM

I’ve always had to clean the tread area on new tires, learned that one the hard way riding motorcycles. My sports cars had the same issues also.

:-X19:-X19:-X19

SatinBlack03 08-11-2018 02:29 PM

Sorry if this was confusing, first time with the Generals the wheel was moving inside the tires. This time I marked it with chalk earlier and drove all over and it's not the same problem. Thank God

I think I should of changed the tie rod ends to go with everything, also thinking of changing the steering dampner (I think all of them have never been changed)

The truck does have a caster correction thing welded on the front so it can be adjusted. When I picked it up the guy that had worked on my truck had left and I couldn't ask anything. Going back Monday to see if he used the front adjusters and maybe have the alignment redone anyhow. I spent enough they should do it.

SatinBlack03 08-16-2018 05:03 PM

Problem ended up being rear tires were put to 78 psi each and fronts 65 psi, no clue where they got those numbers but it was the rear of the truck causing all the wandering. I had them re torque the ball joints to factory specs and steering is alittle tighter now as well. I guess I'm going to have to request specific tire pressures from here on

seville009 08-17-2018 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by SatinBlack03 (Post 18144140)
Problem ended up being rear tires were put to 78 psi each and fronts 65 psi, no clue where they got those numbers but it was the rear of the truck causing all the wandering. I had them re torque the ball joints to factory specs and steering is alittle tighter now as well. I guess I'm going to have to request specific tire pressures from here on

i wouldn’t think the difference in pressures between the fronts and rears would cause issues. Many people seem to run lower pressures in their front tires. I run all four at 72 psi

if you had a large difference in the pressures side to side, that would cause noticeable driving issues (ie: if one side was 60 and the other side was 78)