Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Is a 12,000 lb winch enough for these trucks? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1550998-is-a-12-000-lb-winch-enough-for-these-trucks.html)

gravedgr 08-09-2018 09:30 PM

Is a 12,000 lb winch enough for these trucks?

Normally, I buy a winch equal to at least double the weight of the vehicle it is going to ride on. However, in researching aftermarket bumpers it seems there are quite a few that only support up to a 12k winch (guessing that might be due to the strength of the steel on bumpers with a winch plate vs. mounting to the truck frame).

I know about switch block and increasing the pull strength, just don't want to undersize the winch in favor of a stylish bumper.

toymaster 08-09-2018 09:52 PM

I've had a 12K warn on my 2000 model since new and it has always done the job. I do carry a snatch block just in case but, most of the time the winch has been used to get other smaller vehicles out of trouble. I"ll be going with a 16K this time but that is just my inner Tim Taylor showing.

ATC Crazy 08-10-2018 04:12 AM

I drug a '07 CC F350 diesel, with a busted knuckle (axle tube dragging on a piece of wood) and a locked up rear axle onto my trailer with an 8k winch. 12k should be fine unless you are up to your fenders in some sticky mud.

HouseMouse 08-10-2018 05:51 AM

That is a good question. You will only find out when you are stuck as these are Self-Recovery items. Would rather have more than enough than find out what I should have had. Tim Allen Syndrome.

RONMCHUGH 08-10-2018 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by HouseMouse (Post 18132869)
That is a good question. You will only find out when you are stuck as these are Self-Recovery items. Would rather have more than enough than find out what I should have had. Tim Allen Syndrome.

^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^^^^ Bigger is better !!!!!!!!!!8D

wizkid00104 08-10-2018 08:11 AM

If you go 12k, consider getting a heavy duty snatch block. I remember a long time ago taking statics and mechanics course in college about using pulleys to increase pulling power. I believe a snatch block to a tree and then back to your own vehicle would be close to double the pulling power. Fortunately, I am an electrical engineer so I don't have to be tested on the math here :-)

Chinookman 08-10-2018 08:18 AM

A senior member here with the channel bigtruckbigrv demonstrated a synthetic cable replacement that was able to pull his truck with ease. Plus cable was lighter and eliminated the need for keeping steel cable lubed.

wicked 2018 08-10-2018 08:48 AM

yes. use a snatch block if you have weight pull concerns

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...707ea836a5.jpg

gravedgr 08-10-2018 08:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback. We have a recovery kit that hangs out in a pelican case in the rear of my wife's Rubicon, so plenty of 20k and 30k snatch blocks, straps, tree protectors and D-rings. I also only get synth cable winches, as the extra cost is completely worth the safety and weight savings, IMHO.

I don't do mud bogging, so no worries there, but if we pull our TT somewhere it means the 350 will become our offroad explorer and I'm pretty cautious about avoiding issues / planning for the worst. I'm thinking the 12k will be plenty, especially with some creative snatch block use, I appreciate the input.

toymaster 08-10-2018 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chinookman (Post 18133019)
A senior member here with the channel bigtruckbigrv demonstrated a synthetic cable replacement ....

I run syn cables on my jeep where every ounce and square inch matter but, to me at least, the benefits of syn cable go away when you are talking a full size 8,000# truck. A pound or two more on the front is not making any significant difference on a super duty. Syn cable is very delicate and easily damaged (sun and abrasion), the weight savings and the cost increase combined have me running a steel cable on my super dutys.

wicked 2018 08-10-2018 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by toymaster (Post 18133090)
I run syn cables on my jeep where every ounce and square inch matter but, to me at least, the benefits of syn cable go away when you are talking a full size 8,000# truck. A pound or two more on the front is not making any significant difference on a super duty. Syn cable is very delicate and easily damaged (sun and abrasion), the weight savings and the cost increase combined have me running a steel cable on my super dutys.

On a big winch on a big truck I feel there is even more reason to go synthetic. With the diameter of the steel cable and length - you are going to save a lot of weight. 90' of 7/16 steel weighs ~35lbs. The synthetic replacement is 4lbs.

Sure on a big truck it doesn't sound like much - but don't forget this is hanging off the front of your bumper. I think every 100lbs or so sags the front .25" or more. So you already for an 80-90lb winch - why add another 35lbs to it?

winch rope is protected from the sun - winches usually are below a bumper (shade) wound up (covering them selves) and good synthetic rope has about 10' of shielding on the end to protect that final wrap around the spool

toymaster 08-10-2018 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by wicked 2018 (Post 18133171)
On a big winch on a big truck I feel there is even more reason to go synthetic. ....

winch rope is protected from the sun - winches usually are below a bumper (shade) wound up (covering them selves) and good synthetic rope has about 10' of shielding on the end to protect that final wrap around the spool

rope/vehicle
35/4100 = 0.0085
35/8500= 0.0041

The math is not with you. And that is not even talking about the horsepower to weight ratio.

The best thing you can do for your syn rope is to invest in a winch cover. If you don't believe me start looking at syn rope winches at the local mall parking lot. Even the bit that sticks out of your fair lead, cover it up, I have mine wrapped in electrical tape to protect it from UV exposure.

HRTKD 08-10-2018 10:06 AM

OP, since you said you don't play in the mud then 12K will be fine. I've done a few recoveries with my 9,500 lb winch and it did fine. Rarely are you pulling the entire weight of the vehicle during regular (non-mud) recoveries. You're already in the synthetic cable club and everyone seems to have covered that ad nauseum.

I had a conversation with Warn a few years back regarding the winch mount for a Nissan Titan. They specifically designed theirs and spec'd it out for a 9,500 lb winch because they didn't feel that the mounting points on the frame would support more than a 9,500 lb winch. For some of the winch mount manufacturers there is research being done to come up with the maximum supported winch specification.

gravedgr 08-10-2018 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by HRTKD (Post 18133213)
OP, since you said you don't play in the mud then 12K will be fine. I've done a few recoveries with my 9,500 lb winch and it did fine. Rarely are you pulling the entire weight of the vehicle during regular (non-mud) recoveries. You're already in the synthetic cable club and everyone seems to have covered that ad nauseum.

I had a conversation with Warn a few years back regarding the winch mount for a Nissan Titan. They specifically designed theirs and spec'd it out for a 9,500 lb winch because they didn't feel that the mounting points on the frame would support more than a 9,500 lb winch. For some of the winch mount manufacturers there is research being done to come up with the maximum supported winch specification.

I think you're spot on. I think a lot of attachment points / mount brackets are not necessarily designed for the upper end of some the forces you can generate.

wicked 2018 08-10-2018 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by toymaster (Post 18133192)
rope/vehicle
35/4100 = 0.0085
35/8500= 0.0041

The math is not with you. And that is not even talking about the horsepower to weight ratio.

The math is with me - guess you're not getting the point. its an additional 35lbs sticking out over your front bumper when it only needs to be 4lb. Go ahead and run steel if you like. There is just no reason to add weight when you don't need to. Just cause your truck is heavy doesn't mean you should just add as much weight as you can because its "big"

I have synthetic line on my UTV and my trail truck for over 10 years and both still pull fine, no sun damage no abrasion and lighter weight.