Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Troublesome 99 7.3 won't stay running. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1550952-troublesome-99-7-3-wont-stay-running.html)

LilF350 08-09-2018 03:05 PM

Troublesome 99 7.3 won't stay running.

Hey folks, first off I'm new here and come bearing mechanical knowledge minus the electrical part. I know a lot of you here have brilliant minds and may just have a clue for me. I've got a 99 7.3 CcLB f350 with 260k miles. Ive owned it now for about 7 years. Its also my first diesel. Current mods are WW2, 6637, Hydra, RiffRaff OCR and that's about it.

Okay, so heres my problem that I would like to see if any of you have experienced and successfully fixed without taking the truck to the stealership. After sourcing a few forums, I wasn't able to get a clear answer to a fix.

To shorten the post a bit, I've burnt my old PCM (dpc-402 XLE4) and went with an 01 dpc-422 PMT2. My PCM fuse and #30 fuse were both blown as well. Post new PCM install, I started my truck and it ran fairly crappy, like one bank was down. However it didn't smoke out the pipe. I turned off my truck and went back to restart it, and the only thing that happens is it fires up and immediately dies.

Here's what I've checked...

-Hpop res full.
-Oil is new.
-Fuel filter / inline good.
-CPS (new. grey)
-ICP and Pigtail (2 months old. Non MC)
-Fuel in the bowl.
-I have WTS, GP and FP all working.
-Batteries showing 12.10v
-Checked IPR tin Nut. Good.
-New UVCH harness / pigtail (ohmed out good)
-New beru germany MC GP's.
-New O'Reillys GP relay.
-New O'Reillys EOT sensor. (Old PCM said it was bad, when it worked)

I was able to pull codes and got the following; p1280, p0605, p0470. Also a code for an intake heater, which I never had (could this be a PCM difference issue that needs programming?)

I need this truck for commuting and use it as a daily driver and simply cannot afford a shop bill. Hope someone has an idea or can point me in the right direction of self diagnosis. Thank you folks, glad to be here.

mcnance865 08-10-2018 04:40 PM

Not to state the obvious, but did you upload new tunes to the Hydra using the new pcm code and not just leave the old ones there?

Also, you should ask a moderator to move this to the 7.3 section, you will get a lot more help. Or you could repost I guess.

LilF350 08-10-2018 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by mcnance865 (Post 18133682)
Not to state the obvious, but did you upload new tunes to the Hydra using the new pcm code and not just leave the old ones there?

Also, you should ask a moderator to move this to the 7.3 section, you will get a lot more help. Or you could repost I guess.

Sorry guys didn't notice I wasn't in the 7.3 section, my fault. And mcnance, I did update the hydra and all its values. Today I went out to the truck and kept messing with wiring, sensors and all plugs. I finally got it to start, however it ran, it did not have the 'pep' it used to have. Took a while to raise RPMs with fully depressed throttle. After some more messing around, I have narrowed my problem down to the fuel pump not providing enough PSI. After the truck ran for a while, I performed a KOEO and found no codes. Thank you for.your time and reply. Hopefully this helps someone else out in the future.