Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2014+ Transit (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum273/)
-   -   Does a salvage title nix the warranty? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1548046-does-a-salvage-title-nix-the-warranty.html)

BSers 07-16-2018 01:35 PM

Does a salvage title nix the warranty?

Greetings, All;

New to the forum, as we just acquired our first Transit. Found her at an insurance auction, she's a 2017 T350 HD HR EL Passenger. I'll be converting her to a hybrid of passenger/cargo, as we tour schools with educational theatre programs...I suspect I have the only business in the world that needs to carry both people and stuff around. So, the plan is to put a bulkhead behind the second row seat, delete all the seats and trim behind that, put up ply and E Track inside and vinyl wrap outside.

My question of the moment is, once we get the roof damage repaired (looks like our predecessor made a fatal decision to take her into a low parking garage...d'oh!), given she's only got 12K miles on her, can I still visit a dealership for warranty and/or recall work, or because she has a salvage title am I SOL?

Also (sorry if this is a frequent question that I can find elsewhere), anybody else with 350 HD Duallie and EcoBoost engine: what kind of mileage have you been seeing?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.
Cheers!
Geoff

seville009 07-16-2018 02:21 PM

Salvage title voids the warranty......I guess technically because the vehicle was declared a total loss and the owner was paid the full value.

BSers 07-16-2018 05:11 PM

Rats and thanks

Thanks, Seville009 for the prompt response. Not the one I was hoping for, but I kinda figured that would be the story.
So, what about factory recalls? Am I hosed there too, do you think?

seville009 07-16-2018 05:31 PM

My guess is that you’d probably not have coverage for recall work either.

In both cases though, I don’t know how a dealer would find out about the salvage title unless you told them. They don’t have access to title records. If you have work to be done that would otherwise be covered under warranty/recall, I’d take it to a dealer for a warranty quote. You’re under no legal obligation to disclose the title as far as I know.

BSers 07-16-2018 06:45 PM

Hm, interesting thought, thanks. Maybe I'm not SOL after all. I guess I'll find out when I have my first problem!

EagleFreek 07-27-2018 04:31 AM

In many states, if it has a salvage title, it can"t be registered for the road. Usually you have to have it inspected and then issued a rebuilt title.

JWA 09-18-2018 08:36 AM

In this day and age with almost immediate access to every bit of info in a public record chances of a salvage title being missed by in this case Ford is slim to maybe none. I would guess Ford and every other manufacturer offering a vehicle warranty or recall support has some sort of mechanism scouting for any issue that'd help them avoid spending money after a sale is complete. The dealer might miss it but since they're tied into Ford's network even that's slim.

Not good news I know but I'd not count on Ford's support for this vehicle. Recall notices won't be affected as that is somewhat public info but they'd resist paying for anything with a salvage title.

Hat4RVn 03-14-2019 08:23 PM

I bought a salvaged Transit that was under warranty miles. Bought it in PA, titled it in IL as a rebuilt. Got insurance. All good. Took it in for recall work at local Ford dealer in IL. (The recall was performed free of charge.)

The service department at the dealership knew it was rebuilt/salvage title from their computer system. And yes, the warranty was voided.

BSers 03-16-2019 08:06 PM

Well, that’s good news and bad, I guess. Thanks for the report. We’ll both cross fingers that we didn’t get lemons! 😉

Matt79F250 10-16-2023 10:28 AM

QAll warranties are void. Safety recalls are still in effect.