Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   State Inspection (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1547556-state-inspection.html)

LiquidSteam 07-12-2018 05:41 PM

State Inspection

I had to go to 3 different places to get my state inspection this week. The first place said their company policy is no trucks 10klbs and over (mine is 10k). The second place (Toyota dealership) said they could not fit the truck in their inspection bay....they didn't specify if it was a height or length issue. The 3rd place finally took care of me (strangely enough it was a Lexus dealership). They came out with the measuring tools for height issues with the level but of course it passed. On a side note the Lexus "Café" waiting room was really nice. I'll gladly go back there again next year!

System 07-12-2018 06:13 PM

Try doing it with a SRW 350. Even the inspection locations where it will fit, often aren't licensed to do 11.5k GVWR. And, some that are, think they need to do a commercial inspection for over $100 even though here in MA, a SRW 350 is registered passenger just like a 250. So, you have to explain it to them and hope they get it. Your best bet is just run down to Marcotte Commercial Truck Center. Best Ford service in the area and certainly no problem doing inspections on SD's.

Xwild 07-12-2018 08:32 PM

wow.. i just bring mine back to my dealer, and 30 minutes and 1 cup of coffee later, i'm back out the door.

Section179 07-12-2018 08:45 PM

I get inspections wherever I feel like it in New York. Truck is exempt from a bunch of stuff because of its weight... even easier.

Mark this as the first thing New York has right.

toymaster 07-12-2018 09:19 PM

Inspections? I walk around mine every so often and kick the tires, 'fore I light the fire....

Lord it is good to live in a free state....

Wes Hightower 07-12-2018 09:27 PM

Massachusetts? just another reason I left there in 92 and never looked back. In NC, your only required a "safety inspection" $12.00 (lights, horn, tires) for the first three years so long as you have less than 75K on the clock.

lawnspecialties 07-12-2018 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Xwild (Post 18084416)
wow.. i just bring mine back to my dealer, and 30 minutes and 1 cup of coffee later, i'm back out the door.

Originally Posted by Wes Hightower (Post 18084527)
Massachusetts? just another reason I left there in 92 and never looked back. In NC, your only required a "safety inspection" $12.00 (lights, horn, tires) for the first three years so long as you have less than 75K on the clock.

What they said. Why not your dealer, LiquidSteam?

System 07-12-2018 09:46 PM

A valid question for sure. Marcotte (the place I mentioned) is the local Ford dealer in LiquidSteam's backyard.

Cornbred 07-12-2018 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by toymaster (Post 18084512)
Inspections? I walk around mine every so often and kick the tires, 'fore I light the fire....

for real...what the hell are y’all talking about with these inspections? Is this a every year thing, know way in hell I’d deal with that.

tseekins 07-13-2018 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wes Hightower (Post 18084527)

This makes more sense than anything.

Virginia state inspection is pretty comprehensive and looking at some of the junk on the road, i can see why. But damn, if you have a truck that only 10k or 12k miles on it, does it really need a thorough going over?

ATC Crazy 07-13-2018 06:45 AM

I've never had a problem getting my 14k GVWR dually inspected anywhere...

Inspections keep things like this off the road:

While I do think VA's inspections are too intrusive, they are doing some good. I have several friends who are state certified for VA inspections. If you follow VA's inspections process by the book, you can take any brand new car off the lot and fail it for something. Amazing... :mad:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...b0d8a0631b.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...da6cccc935.jpg

blueglide 07-13-2018 07:13 AM

Thankfully my state of domicile doesn't require inspections. I was living in Michigan (westside of state) in the 90's when they tried to force smog inspections on us. The problem was all the smog was coming over the lake from Chicago....it wasn't even our smog!! After several tests and studies to prove it EPA backed down and we didn't have to have inspections.

lawnspecialties 07-13-2018 07:21 AM

NC is a fairly laid back state for the most part. But they will take your money if they can as with most other states. We're definitely one of those states that if you're pulling a toy hauler thousands of lbs. past your GCWR, NCHP still won't really care.
Two things that I know some other states don't do but NC does: vehicle state inspections including emissions and NC property tax every year on your car's value. Its a racket.

HouseMouse 07-13-2018 07:50 AM

From Birth to Death, Massachusetts is in your back pocket on everything. It never stops! None of this None of that. Massachusetts is most probably the only state that dictates that their citizens are too stupid to use Fireworks responsibly as an example.Oh, Don't get me started. Sorry for going off topic.

Spence144db 07-13-2018 07:58 AM

GA here, and I'm with the Toymaster on this one... step one will it run....step 2 does it have wheels.... step three SEND IT!

Blueglide: I spent 25 years in Muskegon MI left in late 2000s. What part did you live in back in the day? small world