Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   Brake Pad Life (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1546434-brake-pad-life.html)

Boondockdad 07-03-2018 08:37 PM

Brake Pad Life

bought the old girl in April 2015 with 54k Miles. No maintenance records.

here we are July 2018 with 118k and I’m kicking myself for not maintaining the brakes.

With all the heavy towing we do, I pull the rears expecting gouged rotors. I find 1/4” on both. Pull the front: 3/16” on both.

How is that possible?

Im50fast 07-04-2018 06:58 AM

Those low measurements indicate need for replacement.
Seems like you got them at the perfect time.

Ive added 220,000 miles to my 2007 E350 in the last five years and my pad life matches yours perfectly. I think the “original” pads got me about 30,000, then I changed to PowerStop Truck and Tow and got about 60,000-70,000.

Im estimating of course. But my point is that 64,000 miles seems normal.
You and I must be good drivers

wirelessengineer 07-07-2018 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Im50fast (Post 18069706)
You and I must be good drivers

How you drive has a huge effect on brake life. Brake early, brake often if you want long life. Just don't do like most people and wait until the last minute. Braking hard is what kills them.

It's like some people are in a hurry to get to a red light so they can enjoy all the pleasure of sitting and waiting for it to turn green. And here I come, the guy they just passed in a hurry to get to the red light, and I get there just in time to not-quite-stop. I guess I'm missing all the fun of sitting there.

baddad457 07-07-2018 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by wirelessengineer (Post 18075226)
How you drive has a huge effect on brake life. Brake early, brake often if you want long life. Just don't do like most people and wait until the last minute. Braking hard is what kills them.

It's like some people are in a hurry to get to a red light so they can enjoy all the pleasure of sitting and waiting for it to turn green. And here I come, the guy they just passed in a hurry to get to the red light, and I get there just in time to not-quite-stop. I guess I'm missing all the fun of sitting there.

And I'm the other guy passed, right behind you. :-X22 The quality of the pads has a huge effect too. I changed the pads on my 96 6-7 years ago when I bought it and after 40K miles they were fine.

Yoteman 07-07-2018 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by wirelessengineer (Post 18075226)

oh I agree it seems people race to each light BUT, I think it’s so they can sit and TEXT. LOL

baddad457 07-07-2018 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Yoteman (Post 18075717)

oh I agree it seems people race to each light BUT, I think it’s so they can sit and TEXT. LOL

Naw they do that while they're driving. That and other things on the phone. Half the vehicles that pass me are doing something with their smart phones.

wirelessengineer 07-08-2018 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Yoteman (Post 18075717)

Well, they've been doing it since I've been driving, and that's a lot longer back than cellphones.

I guess now they have a reason.....