Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Head Light Issue (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1545944-head-light-issue.html)

Old51f3 06-29-2018 09:57 PM

Head Light Issue

need input please .

i just re wired my brake lights .

before I wired them up my regular headlights was working fine. In high beam and low. Beam

now after the wiring only my high beams work. Can someone tell me if I might of did something wrong. Or has this happened to you

thank You
sergio

52 Merc 06-29-2018 10:06 PM

Whether or not you did something "wrong" is hard to say. But it seems safe to say something you did caused an undesirable malfunction. The first thing to try is to go back and retrace your steps, undo whatever you did until the headlights work right again, and then rethink the brake lights. You may have a crossed wire somewhere between the brake and tail connections, backfeeding through the headlight circuit. While it could be totally unrelated, chances are if they worked before, and don't work now, the problem lies in your 'fix.'

petemcl 06-30-2018 11:26 AM

You haven't given us much information. I'm assuming that this is a '51 F3? Maybe an old wire got broken or a connector came loose while you were working on it. I would start at the dimmer switch. Hopefully you have a multimeter or at least a 6V test light.

tip49 06-30-2018 06:15 PM

Sergio

as already suggested, try looking for voltage at the dimmer switch. If you have high beams you should have power to the one side of the switch. Try low beam and look for power going out. Could be switch is defective.

The headlights get power from ignition on to the main light switch. Check wiring at the dimmer switch .

Old51f3 06-30-2018 07:37 PM

Funny thing is I didnt tough anything from the break light switch on the MC and forward ...

Old51f3 08-08-2018 10:55 PM

Quick stupid question.
So I’ve gone back checked all my connections.
Everything seems ok. I’ve gone ahead and changed to dimmer switch on the floor and I’ve changed the headlight switch

still the same issue. All the lights work. My parking lights. My brake lights. And my high beams. But not my normal headlights.

I’ve recently changed the bulbs. Is it possible the auto parts store sold me 12 v bulbs. Would the high beams still work if they were 12V on 6 V system ??

ALBUQ F-1 08-09-2018 12:56 AM

It's possible they sold you headlights for a quad-light (two low, two high) system, but they would only have two prongs on their backs vs. the three you need.

Old51f3 08-09-2018 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 18131064)
It's possible they sold you headlights for a quad-light (two low, two high) system, but they would only have two prongs on their backs vs. the three you need.

it def had the 3 prongs on them tha I. Sure of. But I didn’t see any markings on box for 6v or 12v.

Thats why im asking if a 12v would work on high beam only. Or would it just not work at all ...

mechmagcn 08-09-2018 08:31 AM

A 12V bulb on 6V will burn, but very dim.

52 Merc 08-09-2018 09:45 AM

Did you check your headlamp plug to see if you have power to the plug/bulb? If you do, then it's a bulb issue (if we're ruling out ground since half of the bulb does work) and you can double check the bulb for continuity across the prongs to be sure. If not, then trace the wire back to where you find power. Electrical problems are frustrating head scratchers, but are usually simple once you find the cause.

Jafo56 08-09-2018 05:10 PM

I just had this exact issue on my 49 f-4 ...it turned out it was indeed the dimmer (high beam low beam ) switch....I replaced it no problems....

Old51f3 08-10-2018 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jafo56 (Post 18132161)
I just had this exact issue on my 49 f-4 ...it turned out it was indeed the dimmer (high beam low beam ) switch....I replaced it no problems....

i thought that’s what it was That’s the first thing I changed and still same issue ..