Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   Turbo 67 f100 inline 6 300!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1545547-turbo-67-f100-inline-6-300-a.html)

Dusto1002 06-26-2018 07:25 PM

Turbo 67 f100 inline 6 300!!
 
Been turboing my f100 1967 inline 6 300 everything's custom and has been fabbed by me. It's slow but it's happening. So far it's got a Garrett gt38r turbo set up as draw through with 2.5 piping and a Holley 600cfm vacuum secondary carb. Eventually it'll be bagged but it'll retain a rat rod look.

got the car a few months ago and when I have the time or money I do a little something to it.

any idea on how well this turbo will work with this turd?https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f9784a9dd7.jpg

Dusto1002 06-26-2018 07:27 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...76c0af36df.jpg

Dusto1002 06-26-2018 07:28 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...e63b33639f.jpg

Dusto1002 06-26-2018 07:30 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...ae71ed6895.jpg

Dusto1002 06-26-2018 07:37 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...96f29e07c2.jpg

ultraranger 06-26-2018 07:39 PM

I bet a pair of small, compound turbos on these '87-'96 4.9L (fuel injected 300) exhaust manifolds would be a screamer on an inline 300.

300 I built and put in my truck 4 months ago.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...6a24220788.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f7a4f8e1a0.jpg

Dusto1002 06-26-2018 07:42 PM


Originally Posted by ultraranger (Post 18057531)
I bet a pair of small, compound turbos on these '87-'96 4.9L (fuel injected 300) exhaust manifolds would be a screamer on an inline 300.

300 I built and put in my truck 4 months ago.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...6a24220788.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f7a4f8e1a0.jpg

that engine bay is way too clean for me 😂 it looks good though! I have another project i keep clean this one is just my beat around.
jeez even your garage is nice!

Dusto1002 06-26-2018 07:43 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...64df69d770.jpg

85e150six4mtod 06-26-2018 08:00 PM

Check this out. You are a ways into your project, and this one is quite different being a rear mount. However, you might spot a thing or two that will work for you:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...6-sleeper.html

Dusto1002 06-26-2018 08:14 PM


Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod (Post 18057557)
Check this out. You are a ways into your project, and this one is quite different being a rear mount. However, you might spot a thing or two that will work for you:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...6-sleeper.html

ah I was wondering if this guy was on here. Seen a lot of his vids before I started. I was close to selling the 300 and getting an LS instead and chose to turbo it because of his vids. Didn't know it was rear mounted though! He's got a really cool truck.

J ballan 06-26-2018 08:35 PM

Not being a hater because I respect what your trying to do but I have a couple questions. Why did you choose to weld the turbo inlet pipe right to the cast iron exhaust manifold? Also why did you mount your turbo upright? Not saying itís wrong but I donít think Iíve ever seen a turbo mounted this way. Good luck with your build.

Dusto1002 06-26-2018 08:46 PM

The cast can penetrate and hold well with a weld if it's preheated a bit. I made it like that for ease the way it is i can access every bolt and take off seperately if i want to and didn't have any adapters and really didn't feel like making any. And the turbo is a flipped intake side up to be a draw through. You can't run a Holley 4 barrel sideways last I checked.

UNTAMND 06-26-2018 08:47 PM

I figured it out J... he's gonna do a draw through..
actually he says it in his original post. I read it, but didn't put the two together either.

Hopefully you put a big enough drain back so its not an issue with turbo mounted that way. Most turbos are t designed for draw through, but if that's a real 38r, the ball bearings might handle it. It typically doesn't have thrust that direction, so I'm unsure if it has ability or not with the ball bearing.

UNTAMND 06-26-2018 08:51 PM


Originally Posted by Dusto1002 (Post 18057640)
And the turbo is a flipped intake side up to be a draw through. You can't run a Holley 4 barrel sideways last I checked.

If you had researched draw through turbo setups, I doubt you'd find many, if you could, turbos oriented like that. All the of the kits had a 90* bend under the carb to go into the turbo.
Give it a whirl. I don't really see an issue, other than oil drain. Some turbos are picky.

Dusto1002 06-26-2018 08:52 PM


Originally Posted by UNTAMND (Post 18057647)
I figured it out J... he's gonna do a draw through..
actually he says it in his original post. I read it, but didn't put the two together either.

Hopefully you put a big enough drain back so its not an issue with turbo mounted that way. Most turbos are t designed for draw through, but if that's a real 38r, the ball bearings might handle it. It typically doesn't have thrust that direction, so I'm unsure if it has ability or not with the ball bearing.

oil drain back?... hmm hadn't thought of having an oversized drainback, I was under the impression that they operated mainly off of pressure from the oil. It is larger than input but it wasn't on my issues list. And it's a Garrett gt38r off a 7.3 it's also got a weird integrated wastegate that wasn't included that is inside the turbo housings downpipe. Thought it was really really weird to have the Watergate there. Im going to have to weld it open so it doesn't shut randomly.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands