Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   17’ f-250 regen issues (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1545239-17-f-250-regen-issues.html)

Nando248 06-24-2018 03:22 PM

17’ f-250 regen issues

I have a 17’ f-250 Lariat 6.7 I purchased new 7 months ago. The truck will not go into auto Regen mode, the check engine light comes on with code p2459. This I’ll be the 4th time it has been to the dealership for a manual regen. I have a little over 7k miles on it and the dealership can not figure out why it keeps doing this. The first time the check engine light came on around this order: 1st time @ 5k miles, 2nd @6100 miles, 3rd @ 7050 miles and 4th time at 7200 miles. Has anyone had this issue or found a resolution to this issue?

jakematic 06-24-2018 03:35 PM

More information will help.

What is your driving style ?
Do you tow a lot, haul, short trips, lots of idles, long haul ?

EDIT: Also, do you have DPF % turned on in the instrument cluster? If so what percentages are you seeing when this happens?

Nando248 06-24-2018 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by jakematic (Post 18053422)
More information will help.

What is your driving style ?
Do you tow a lot, haul, short trips, lots of idles, long haul ?

EDIT: Also, do you have DPF % turned on in the instrument cluster? If so what percentages are you seeing when this happens?

i don’t drive it a lot. I average about 15 miles every day, and maybe around 50 miles on the weekends. I live in the city so a lot of city driving. I only haul about once a month to haul my 20’ trailer with Utv and atv.
I can’t seem to find the dpf % on the cluster, I’ve heard that not all trucks cane with that feature

senix 06-24-2018 04:28 PM

You're problem is your duty cycle. Wrong motor for your commute and city driving.

I'd recommend a commuter car, save the truck for towing and hauling.

C12H24 06-24-2018 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 18053488)
You're problem is your duty cycle. Wrong motor for your commute and city driving.

That is not his problem. I use mine even more gently than does he. I'm retired and drive mostly low-speed, short mileage, -maybe 20 miles a week. Never tow, rarely haul. I just wanted a bad-assed truck. My truck does auto regen and it seems to do so very efficiently with the DPF % dropping very quickly once it goes into regen.

Nando248 06-24-2018 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 18053488)

i have a company truck for work and my daily driver, I use the f250 for my daily trips to the gym and small errand trips just to put miles in it. The reason I bought this truck is to haul my 20’ and 24’ trailer with my rzr and other Atv and my boat from time to time and because I’ve always wanted to own a power stroke. Now I have to hear my neighbor tell me “ you should of got a duramax”, and again him and I use our trucks for the same reason and same style of driving on both.

jakematic 06-24-2018 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by C12H24 (Post 18053533)
That is not his problem. I use mine even more gently than does he. I'm retired and drive mostly low-speed, short mileage, -maybe 20 miles a week. Never tow, rarely haul. I just wanted a bad-assed truck. My truck does auto regen and it seems to do so very efficiently with the DPF % dropping very quickly once it goes into regen.

Ditto, except almost-retired.

I think he should escalate with Ford. This sounds like it is hitting 200% load on the DPF and going to limp.
My driving style is similar and it regens fine when it stretches its legs while warmed up.

EDIT: OP ask the dealer to turn on DPF% in the cluster, or use FORScan and a $29 interface from Amazon. I do keep an eye on it more than I should, but I like information

RONMCHUGH 06-24-2018 06:15 PM

What jakematic said . Get your dealer to enable the regen screen or use Forscan to enable . :-X22

Nando248 06-25-2018 06:46 AM

I will ask the dealer to enable the dpf screen and hope they find the issue. Thanks

troverman 06-25-2018 07:47 AM

Nando, your duty cycle may not be ideal for a diesel, but it will work. You can enable the Exhaust Filter screen yourself with FORScan, but to avoid having to do that just ask the dealer to use IDS to do so. This will help you monitor yourself. The delta pressure sensors fore and aft of the DPF are what determines when a regen is needed. The dealer can easily test to see if these are working. The truck also needs to meet some other basic parameters for a regen to start...for example, engine coolant or oil temp needs to be a certain level. Perhaps your truck is running too cool.

Forget your neighbor. All brands of vehicles have issues now and then...just stinks when it happens to be yours. You'll get it resolved.

Nando248 06-25-2018 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by troverman (Post 18054403)
Nando, your duty cycle may not be ideal for a diesel, but it will work. You can enable the Exhaust Filter screen yourself with FORScan, but to avoid having to do that just ask the dealer to use IDS to do so. This will help you monitor yourself. The delta pressure sensors fore and aft of the DPF are what determines when a regen is needed. The dealer can easily test to see if these are working. The truck also needs to meet some other basic parameters for a regen to start...for example, engine coolant or oil temp needs to be a certain level. Perhaps your truck is running too cool.

Forget your neighbor. All brands of vehicles have issues now and then...just stinks when it happens to be yours. You'll get it resolved.

Thanks troverman, I will ask the dealer to enable the DPF screen so I can closely monitor it. I just don’t get how the first 5k Miles, I never had an issue, it is in the last 2k miles that it has happened 4 times, and my driving/duty cycle has been the exact same since the day I bought the truck.

troverman 06-26-2018 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nando248 (Post 18055094)

Thanks troverman, I will ask the dealer to enable the DPF screen so I can closely monitor it. I just don’t get how the first 5k Miles, I never had an issue, it is in the last 2k miles that it has happened 4 times, and my driving/duty cycle has been the exact same since the day I bought the truck.

When the truck is brand new the DPF is extremely clean and might go longer without a regeneration. But certainly you aren't going 5k miles without one. Mine went about 1000 miles I think. Now its like every 500-700 miles. It's possible you just got unlucky and it tried to do a regen and you pulled into your driveway, or your work, or Home Depot etc just when it started and you shut the truck off. If that happened a couple of times the truck would need a manual regen done. But it seems strange. Likely there is some problem somewhere. There are plenty of people driving the same truck as you with the same driving habits as you and not having problems.

C12H24 06-26-2018 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by troverman (Post 18056167)
When the truck is brand new the DPF is extremely clean and might go longer without a regeneration. But certainly you aren't going 5k miles without one. Mine went about 1000 miles I think. Now its like every 500-700 miles. It's possible you just got unlucky and it tried to do a regen and you pulled into your driveway, or your work, or Home Depot etc just when it started and you shut the truck off. If that happened a couple of times the truck would need a manual regen done. But it seems strange. Likely there is some problem somewhere. There are plenty of people driving the same truck as you with the same driving habits as you and not having problems.

According to the owner's manual, an active regen will occur between 100-500 miles. Even if you have passive regen though heavy towing, it will still active regen at the 500 mile mark. It just won't take very long. Also, according to the manual, you can expect a regen to last anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes depending upon how the truck is being used. The manual is fairly thorough on the regen issue even accounting for low-speed, short distance, and stop-and-go city driving as well as how you should drive the truck during a regen. It's not nearly as daunting as some make it out to be.

mtnguy 06-26-2018 10:25 AM

Me thinks the OP should get the DPF screen enabled, and ehen that gets to 95 or 99%, plan on taking longer jaunts down some highways that offer something other than stop and go traffic. :-jammin

troverman 06-26-2018 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by C12H24 (Post 18056628)
According to the owner's manual, an active regen will occur between 100-500 miles. Even if you have passive regen though heavy towing, it will still active regen at the 500 mile mark. It just won't take very long. Also, according to the manual, you can expect a regen to last anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes depending upon how the truck is being used. The manual is fairly thorough on the regen issue even accounting for low-speed, short distance, and stop-and-go city driving as well as how you should drive the truck during a regen. It's not nearly as daunting as some make it out to be.

If my truck was regenerating every 100 miles, I'd be upset. The only way I can see that happening is if you idle...a lot. I tow a lot. Right now, I'm towing a trailer weighing between 10-12k every day except Sundays. Even in the winter I'm towing sleds a couple of times a week. But none of my previous-gen diesel Super Duty trucks regenerated every 100 miles. I'm also not certain I'm seeing an active regen every 500 miles no matter what. If it is doing so, its extremely brief. Yesterday my truck started an active regen...the exhaust filter screen had gotten to 99% and I ended up shutting the truck off...it dropped to 95%. It has not started another regen as of this morning.

As a side note, I really like the previous gen that would at least flash a brief message stating exhaust cleaning had started. The new truck tells you nothing unless you have the exhaust filter screen enabled and watch the percent drop. Heck, even my Kubota tractor tells me a regen has started, and when it finishes, and when I need more RPM, and even lets me do it manually.