Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum48/)
-   -   5.4 motor knock (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/154509-5-4-motor-knock.html)

Ronald Hayes 09-21-2003 09:45 AM

5.4 motor knock

I have a 99 5.4 in my f-250 that knocks when cold, at work we have two vans that do the same thing same motor and year.
Any ides what it is? sounds like a wrist pin?

kabar59 09-22-2003 04:27 PM

5.4 motor knock

We have a 2000 F250 with the 5.4 that developed a similar problem around 68000 miles. When you started the engine up cold, it would knock pretty loud for a few seconds (maybe 10?) then would quiet out. We took it in and the service rep told us lifters had basically worn out on the right side of the engine. The service rep then asked us if we ever had changed the oil because the oil in the lifters was basically sludge. His question wasn't taken very well, since we change the oil every 3000-4000 miles. We had been using synthetic oil, but are no longer using it now. Synth. oil may have contributed, and it may not have. Either way it was really hard to justify the extra cost. Anyway, we had the lifters replaced (which cost a pretty penny because we were no longer covered by the warranty) and haven't had any problems since.

Ronald Hayes 09-22-2003 09:36 PM

5.4 motor knock

Thanks it's funny you mentioned synth oil this is the start of when it happened. I thought I was doing good and paid the big bucks for oil??

Jwalence 09-22-2003 10:17 PM

5.4 motor knock

hey ronald, that is strange, or coincidental. I recently purchased a 2000 expy w/ 5.4 and I have always used synthetic oil. I also developed this noise after about 15,000 of using synthetic oil. I think I shall switch back wednesday to reg oil. that would be great if that was the prob. That noise is really anoying. The same knock you explain is what I have for about 10 sec also at start up.

2000BLK54 09-23-2003 01:33 PM

5.4 motor knock

I think it depends on when you start using it....I've been using Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntech since about 12,000 miles (35,000 now) and never had any problems with knocking of any sort.

Jwalence 09-23-2003 02:54 PM

5.4 motor knock

does the 5.4 have lifters or is it a rail with the rocker arms on it. I thought it had an OH cam, just curious

2000BLK54 09-23-2003 03:26 PM

5.4 motor knock

5.4 and 4.6 have roller finger followers that act directly on the valves...

Ronald Hayes 09-24-2003 02:10 AM

5.4 motor knock

Roller finger follower that act directly on the valves, This should be a good thing im not really up on these new motors?? Give me an old 302 or 351,400,460 and I could build on in my sleep.
This knock I think is really an upper end problem the more I study the sound. sounds like im not the only one with this problem.
Thanks every one for the help this is a great site!!

Lectrocuted 09-25-2003 12:50 AM

Piston slap perhaps. A design flaw. Common in the 5.4 and 6.8.

luv2ski45 09-28-2003 10:35 AM

Piston slap

I'm pretty sure what you're describing is piston slap. I have it on my 4.6. You hear it upon cold start. It's worse when it's cold outside.

Bill7373 10-01-2003 12:44 AM

About 8 months ago, I purchased a 2000 Exp with 32,000 miles on it. When it is idle over night or for a couple of day is raps badly on start up until the oil is circulated. I now have 48,000 on it and it is still doing it, so I took it back to the dealer and left it over night so they could start it first thing the next day. They told me it was normal and attached a copy of the TSB that Ford issued stating that the noise on start up was normal for the 5.4.

It's now colder over night and the noise is louder. I park on a slight incline overnight, so last night I parked it on level ground and didn't have the noise on start up. Sure can't figure this one out, but I do have the extended warrantee, so they haven't heard the end of me. Any other ideas?

luv2ski45 10-01-2003 06:43 PM

If it's piston slap I don't think Ford will fix the problem. I've had it on my 4.6 for over a year now. I can't get anywhere with the dealer. Everytime I bring the truck in and leave it over night they tell me it's normal engine noise. It's become very apparent to me Ford doesn't want to fix my engine. Maybe that's why Ford had to announce 12000 layoffs today. Toyota, and Nissan apparently treat their customers differently.

Bill7373 10-03-2003 08:08 AM

Thank you for your reply. I experienced the same thing with the 4.6 in a Crown Vic several years ago, even though my extended warrantee was still in effect. The dealer tried to get a new engine for me, but Ford denied it simply because the cost of the engine to them was more than the car was worth.

I am now well within my extened warrantee with the 5.7 and have created a record of it with the dealer. If anything happens in the future, I will certainly get Ford for it. Meanwhile, I will file a complaint directly with Ford Motor Company in the near future. I am trying a new additive XR-1, I believe it is called. Will keep you posted.

luv2ski45 10-03-2003 05:46 PM

Please let me know if the XR-1 works. I've been told the problem is caused by the piston rocking in the cylinder until it warms up and expands. I've read on posts that Ford had a problem with piston slap in the late 90's and from what I've read they fixed it in 2000 and newer engines. I suspect they kept some of the older defective blocks/parts and used them as late as 2003. I've read posts from guys that are experiencing this problem in 2003. I guess Ford management doesn't really care if they loose a few customers because of this problem. I know I will never buy another Ford even though I love my truck. I don't feel I can trust Ford Motor Company to stand by their product. This is unfortunate since I've owned five new Fords and four used ones.

Bill7373 10-07-2003 08:26 AM

5.4 Motor Knock

I am still in the process of trying the XR-1. The first night after using it, I parked my truck in the same spot on the incline. When I started it in the a.m. it didn't make the same noise. However, the next night was much colder and it was back. I realized that I was supposed to use 12 oz. of the stuff and only had 8 in with the oil. I have since added the other 4 oz. and will see how it performs in the next couple of days. Will let you know then.

Of course, now that the nights are colder, my air ride problem is back. It seems to malfunction on cold days. Ford has worked on this a couple of times and I thought is was all set at the end of last winter. Now that it's cold again, the light comes on telling me to check the air ride. Back to Ford again in the next couple of weeks. I have owned Fords all my life, but I am now getting very disgusted with the situation. If push comes to shove, I will contact Ford themselves and see if I can get somewhere with them. Will let you know how things work out.