Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Power steering noise... please HELP! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1544922-power-steering-noise-please-help.html)

Odyssey350kc 06-21-2018 08:01 PM

Power steering noise... please HELP!

Watch video with sound

Took my truck to the dealership. They ended up changing out the power steering pump. Got it back today and took the video when i got home. So needless to say i'm a bit irritated. Did a bit of research to find plenty of people having the problem with no solutions. If I knew this would happen I never would have bought the truck. It drives me absolutely crazy. If anyone has had this problem and found any solution I would love to know

screwy 06-21-2018 09:29 PM

Sounds like the gearbox to me.

briangp 06-21-2018 09:38 PM

To me sounds like there is air in the system. Maybe they didn't fill the gearbox all the way?

Vinford 06-21-2018 10:28 PM

Took mine in for this today , they told me nothing was wrong with it they all made that noise.
I call bs on that but at least its documented.

stangman68inftc 06-21-2018 10:42 PM

So I can't help but this sounds like the noise my truck makes at full lock either direction and has from day 1. I've been meaning to take it to the dealership to see if I should be worried about it. Maybe someone else with some knowledge of the situation will chime in.

Jimmycat1 06-21-2018 11:30 PM

Power steering.

Mine also makes a similar sound. Mine sounds as if it’s sending feedback through the center channel speaker. I’m going to have dealer look at it when it goes in for the first oil change.

C12H24 06-22-2018 07:45 AM

It sounds like aerated fluid. Does it make the noise on morning first start or does it have to run a bit before it starts? You can get fluid aeration when you replace hydraulic components and it can take some time for all the bubbles to work their way out of the fluid. You can also get persistent aeration when the front seal on the pump is pulling air. The seal can be fluid-tight, but not air tight. You can also get bubbles in the system from low fluid level. It can be solved and it may do so on its own, but the shop's response that they all do it is pure nonsense.

Tricon 06-22-2018 11:49 AM

Mine does this at full lock, always has. Everyone has always said its normal.

No.15 06-22-2018 01:46 PM

Mine makes noise as well. Only at full lock and it sounds like it comes from just below the steering wheel. I think mine is the ps assist and it has done it from day one

Tricon 06-22-2018 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by No.15 (Post 18050469)
Mine makes noise as well. Only at full lock and it sounds like it comes from just below the steering wheel. I think mine is the ps assist and it has done it from day one

Are you talking about adaptive steering? It's definitely not that, because I don't have that.

No.15 06-22-2018 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tricon (Post 18050476)
Are you talking about adaptive steering? It's definitely not that, because I don't have that.

yeah I think mine is the adaptive steering. That's why I pointed out the location of the sound in case it was different from the op . I could not tell from the video because it's noisy here :)

Tricon 06-22-2018 02:00 PM

That's what I'm saying, I get that squirting fluid noise in my steering wheel as well and I do not have adaptive steering, so it's not that.

stangman68inftc 06-22-2018 02:22 PM

Don't think I have adaptive steering either on my XL STX.

Odyssey350kc 06-22-2018 06:43 PM

It wouldn't bother me if it were just at full cut but it does it at almost any position. And I checked to make sure it was full of power steering fluid before i brought it into the dealer. Strangely enough i haven't been able to get it to make the noise today except at full lock - which i know not to hold. So hopefully it was just some air in the line after replacement and the new pump fixed it, but i doubt it.

mrgrayaz 06-22-2018 07:36 PM

I have never met a Ford with a quiet power steering pump.

It's embarrassing really....