Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Dang.... wish I had a PTO now (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1544915-dang-wish-i-had-a-pto-now.html)

jakematic 06-21-2018 06:49 PM

Dang.... wish I had a PTO now

Ran across this looking for SEIC videos last night.

Anyone do anything like this ?

mhoefer 06-21-2018 07:06 PM

How much I wonder......

wb6anp 06-21-2018 07:06 PM

It's nice if you don't mind running up idle hours on your truck.

zeroo 06-21-2018 07:07 PM

Nice. I would want something a little different than the residential panel box though.

jakematic 06-21-2018 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by mhoefer (Post 18048948)
How much I wonder......

Have’t found any pricing, but haven’t looked hard.

Originally Posted by wb6anp (Post 18048950)
It's nice if you don't mind running up idle hours on your truck.

When the power is out for two weeks due to a hurricane or ice storm.... nope I wouldn’t mind at all :)
Being so rural a whole house generator is tricky, but everyone has diesel storage.

wildcard30 06-21-2018 07:20 PM

That panel box is industrial. It’s steel. You can go stainless but the price is high. You can go NEMA 4x, but that’s more expensive. You can go waterproof cam locks and add more bucks to the cost. We use stainless NEMA 4x boxes with cam locks in our Water Reclamation facilities. The application is 480 3 phase connection to a 25 ton portable a/c unit.

jnuechte 06-21-2018 08:08 PM

I assume you can add a PTO to your truck if you didn't purchase it with it...?

nuctrooper 06-21-2018 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by jnuechte (Post 18049073)
I assume you can add a PTO to your truck if you didn't purchase it with it...?

yes you can. You have to buy an entire new transmission. Quite pricey, but you can do it.

toymaster 06-21-2018 09:57 PM

Hindsight is 20/20 ain't it. I saw that a while back but I really did not like how far the gear box hung down. I think that setup really belongs on a much larger truck. Anyway, I love having capability so I get all of the heavy duty options and a vinyl floor and this time all the fancy widgets too.

bushpilot 06-21-2018 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by mhoefer (Post 18048948)
How much I wonder......

8 years ago it was $5k for 12kw
you certainly don't need a 6L v8 to drive a 12kw power head.

Our motor coach has an Onan 10kw diesel gen and uses a small 3cyl Isuzu (aka yanmar) and sips less than a quart an hour on average....Ive run it nearly 3 days straight and didn't use 15 gallons.

ford390gashog 06-21-2018 10:49 PM

They are a novelty at best. Total disaster! We were swayed to buy 3 of these systems for our new trucks. Trust me, stay with a hydraulic generator that is bed or remote mounted.

wb6anp 06-21-2018 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by jakematic (Post 18048983)
When the power is out for two weeks due to a hurricane or ice storm.... nope I wouldn’t mind at all :)
Being so rural a whole house generator is tricky, but everyone has diesel storage.

True Didn't think of that I live in socal so don't have to worry about that often, only during earthquakes. I was in the rv thought sine the junction box has both 30 amp and 50 amp outlets.

jakematic 06-22-2018 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by bushpilot (Post 18049331)
8 years ago it was $5k for 12kw
you certainly don't need a 6L v8 to drive a 12kw power head.

Our motor coach has an Onan 10kw diesel gen and uses a small 3cyl Isuzu (aka yanmar) and sips less than a quart an hour on average....Ive run it nearly 3 days straight and didn't use 15 gallons.

Yes it is massive overkill and doubt it would be anywhere near as efficient as my portables.
But I like backups to my backups ! And it would be another notch in my belt for an ongoing "how much can you outdo each other" thing a buddy and I've had for the last 25 years LOL

Originally Posted by wb6anp (Post 18049379)
True Didn't think of that I live in socal so don't have to worry about that often, only during earthquakes. I was in the rv thought sine the junction box has both 30 amp and 50 amp outlets.

Ahhh... makes sense. Gads no way I'd want to idle the truck to power an RV either.
Forget that most folks here have the SD for RVing. Mine is mostly farm and equipment towing.

Originally Posted by toymaster (Post 18049302)
Hindsight is 20/20 ain't it. I saw that a while back but I really did not like how far the gear box hung down. I think that setup really belongs on a much larger truck. Anyway, I love having capability so I get all of the heavy duty options and a vinyl floor and this time all the fancy widgets too.

Options are nice. Someday maybe I'll turn the Ford options box upside down and dump it all on a truck... but oooh the cost.

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 18049375)
They are a novelty at best. Total disaster! We were swayed to buy 3 of these systems for our new trucks. Trust me, stay with a hydraulic generator that is bed or remote mounted.

Yeah it was interesting seeing on their website they mostly do much bigger vehicles.
Am sure there are better options... but redundancy would be cool if the cost wasn't so stupid high.

wheelerfreak 06-22-2018 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by jakematic (Post 18048983)

Propane doesn't go bad and a 1000 gallon tank will run the generator for a long time.

jakematic 06-22-2018 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by wheelerfreak (Post 18049629)
Propane doesn't go bad and a 1000 gallon tank will run the generator for a long time.

That was my plan A until Suburban pissed me off enough to close the account that came with the house, and then ripped me off by stealing almost 700 gallons via "pump out" fees. :-X09

May revisit that with an actual local propane company when I build the barn for the truck.
Going to take me years to rotate all the stored gasoline now that the F-150 is gone.... and also considering a diesel genset.