Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Purchase help F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1544719-purchase-help-f150.html)

sibernut 06-20-2018 07:07 AM

Purchase help F150

I'm considering purchase of a 2014 F150, 4x4 & 5.0V8, 62K on it. I'd appreciate any insight, problems pro's & con's you can give me. Current truck is a 1994 F150 2WD, so this is a quantum leap. I'm not familiar enough with the newer trucks, what to look for etc. Tks for any input, purchase imminent.

MarkBowers 06-20-2018 02:02 PM

14 is probably the best year for 12th generation. I have a 14 Supercab with the Coyote modular. I think it is my favorite engine among my trucks (5 trucks with 4 different
engines: 2 5.0 302's, a 5.4 Triton, a 7.5 460, and the 5.0) . The 7.5 is fun, but gets 11 mpg. I have 2 94's and a 95, so agree that it's quite a difference to drive the 2014.
( I like the older trucks a lot, too....they are more like trucks) Only thing I can think of is maybe the water pump issue, but they might have rectified that by 14.

2jhanna 06-20-2018 02:03 PM

With no direct input to your question, I know your feeling. I went from a bought new '74 F100, bought new '97 F150, to a used '12 F150.

sibernut 06-20-2018 02:10 PM

Tks for the git-back. Pls advise about water pump issue, that's the kind of thing I need.

MarkBowers 06-20-2018 09:18 PM

It was a premature water pump failure issue on some 5.0's.....I think only earlier model years, also earlier years once in a while a cylinder out of round issue, but I think they were solved by 2014s. You can find discussions on it by typing in "water pump 5.0" in the Search This Forum box up at the top of the 09-14 page. No issues at all with my 2014, but my truck only has 12k miles.

artscott61 06-21-2018 06:46 AM

Bought a 14 last October 2wheel drive extended cab I have put about 4,000 miles on it and it runs great . We are driving it now going up to the panhandle of Ne. So far I like the truck except getting in since I short pudgy little fkr. I researched all I could on the forum before I pulled the trigger I love the 5.0 motor everything that I read was good about this year for the 5.0 . I said that this will be the last vehicle that I purchase but now am thinking of trading up. If anyone has a way to lower the thing let me know the rear is easy enough but the front is where the money is.

sibernut 06-21-2018 06:53 AM

TKS! Also considering another vehicle almost identical specs but ext cab not crew for same price, only 32K miles & CPO truck vs non-CPO & 64K

newfordy 06-21-2018 06:17 PM

I got my '14 new and now have 75k on it.
One thing to check is the 3rd brake light, they leak. You can look and see water intrusion around the edges. Some here have even had the water get t the headliner and stain. The fix most effective around here is to make your own gasket from Home Depot weather strip.
Also, to some the front door detents need a third intermediate one. The first detent is not enough to get in for most and the other is wide open(not the best in tight parking lots). "Door Detent 3.0" is a company that sells a modified Ford door stop.

At 75k, my '14 has been great to me.

sibernut 06-22-2018 06:44 AM

TKS! Just what I need. May go look at it (them) this weekend. Interesting, 2 Ford dealers within 20 miles of each other have one in Green Gem (I like green) , one a crew w/62K & one ext w/32K, both lariats & can't find any others that color. Both within $1K of the other I'm playing them against each other, and it seems green is a much less desirable color. Let the games begin.................
Anybody with a few minutes wanna' look at them both & give me input ? Different size wheels, one is certified, lots of variables I don't know if matter. The crew has "off road", will that be a stiffer ride?
https://www.koonssterlingford.com/us...earchDepth=1:3
https://www.tedbrittchantilly.com/us...FX1EF5EFA99248
Have fun, & tks for any help! I'm coming from a 94, stone age compared to these.

ubereal2 06-22-2018 07:55 AM

They're both loaded up nicely, and the green is a good color. I like the mileage of the Super Cab, and I've had one. But now being on my 2nd Super Crew, I could never go back to a smaller cab.

sibernut 06-22-2018 08:15 AM

Tks, now that's just the info I need. I am suspicious of "off road" & if he got that to really use. I'm going to have them get both up on a lift before I buy. I'm leaning toward the crew, it is not "certified". BUT- Ford offers an extended warranty for less than the certified price bump the dealer puts on.

MarkBowers 06-22-2018 08:16 AM

Enviable situation. My vote goes for the little SuperCab for sure. Question there is how big a family do you have? SuperCab is great for a single person, couple, or maybe with one kid. I was watching a family of four awhile ago (Dad, Mom, 2 teenagers) load into a Supercab like that, and it looks like it gets to be a bother, since front door has to open first to open the little door in back and you have to make sure the little door in back is closed first, etc. Also the back seat area in a SuperCab is more compact compared to the SuperCrew. Adobe is nicer interior trim for a Green truck. CPO means you should either get an extended warranty in the deal or the truck is eligible for extended warranty coverage, if that is something you prefer.

My 14 SuperCab has the Off Road Pkg. It's 3.55 rear locker, skid plates underneath, beefier shocks, and hill descent control (basically an engine braking deal). I don't know if it rides any stiffer because compared to the 9th generation trucks, you will think this is the smoothest ride ever anyway. Both of my younger trucks (the 14, and an 08 F150 4X4 Lariat Crew) ride like Town Cars compared to the "old guys". But out where I live, anyway, the old guys have a coolness factor that the fancy trucks just can't match. You hafta keep your 94 ya know-a guy can't have too many trucks. Looks like the SuperCab doesn't have the defrost in the rear window-some owners have had problems with the window shattering after using the defroster.
I have it on mine, but have no reason to use the mirror or rear window defrost. SuperCab is still what guys used to refer to as a "heavy half ton". I would go for that one over the other.

sibernut 06-22-2018 08:30 AM

Tks again everyone! No children, but 2 good sized Huskies, why I'm leaning toward crew. Also, seems like the back of the back seat folds down on the crew but not the super. Certified means it was gone thru carefully, & stuff fixed. But the warranty is only for 12/12
**OR** the existing remaining warranty from the day the truck was purchased new. Approx value according to dealer $ 1K. Crew has bed extender too.
Keep them coming, I go look at both Sat !

Olytlr 06-22-2018 04:51 PM

Neither of those trucks fall within the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper if that is what the dealer is referring to remainder of factory warranty unless the extra cab made it well into 2015 with an in service date. The CPO designation is only as good as the dealer. The dealer pays the manufacturer for the CPO designation but there are no regulators that verify that the vehicle is brought up to CPO condition. I personally would lean towards the Super Crew. They are more usable and hold their value better. I would also try to work down the price a tad due to the mileage.

sibernut 06-22-2018 05:53 PM

Well, both dealers already indicated they'd drop the price maybe $300. When I'm there in person with a wad of green money, we'll have a "Come to Jesus" discussion or I'll walk. I don't "need" to buy a truck. I did a comparison line-by-line of the options on both window stickers. The crew has over the other bed extender, chrome pkg, power folding heated mirrors, chrome wheels vs painted & "off road" skid plates. The ext cab has a tailgate step, which I don't care for . The crew msrp was 53K, the ext was 47.8K.
Cripes, the other dealer is 18 miles away & they both know about my interest in the other dealer's truck. I have my own financing too. The only other thing I could have going my way would be a hot 25 yr old in a French maid's costume with me.