Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   High EOT and ECT when towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1544673-high-eot-and-ect-when-towing.html)

mbinnie 06-19-2018 07:41 PM

High EOT and ECT when towing

Have a 06 with a brand new 6.0 and not even had its second oil change, towing about 8000 lb camper on flats ECT running 204 EOT running 234. 55 to 60mphr running SCT X4 with 65hp tow program, get 20 miles and wrench light, check DTC codes and find none! No loss of power or anything else. So hop on interstate flat and mild hills EOT goes to 237 and ECT 210. Get on big hills and EOT jumps to 246 and ECT goes to 218 and wrench light again, same result, pull over check the DTC code and none thrown, wth? Outside temps when hauling were mid 90’S and high humidity, I have replaced everything on this truck under the hood and to have this happen is very frustrating! Any ideas?

shawn.snow 06-19-2018 08:43 PM

To me that sounds like a clogged oil cooler did you use an oem cooler and was the system flushed before or after the oil cooler was replaced?

FiznUKa 06-19-2018 09:07 PM

Need to get a better code reader. Did you hear your fan come on should have been screaming. How fast does the temp recover after a pull.

mbinnie 06-19-2018 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by shawn.snow (Post 18045566)
To me that sounds like a clogged oil cooler did you use an oem cooler and was the system flushed before or after the oil cooler was replaced?

Engune replacement was by a Ford master tech, and oembsainless oil cooler was used, everything but the turbo was replaced, and yes it was flushed even being a new engine, but was not from Ford, it was from a outfit in PA that redoes these engines. They are better than fords replacement engines.

mbinnie 06-19-2018 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by FiznUKa (Post 18045622)
Need to get a better code reader. Did you hear your fan come on should have been screaming. How fast does the temp recover after a pull.

yes! Fan is screaming, but on flat or downside of hill drops right down to somewhat normal, I have noticed running with no load the EOT has been drifting higher, before it would be running within 10 degrees of each other. Notice a couple weeks ago cool morning EOT 220 and ECT 196

Firefighter 1406 06-19-2018 10:21 PM

I am no expert with this. However that does seem high to me. My truck is a 6.4 but normally EOT is around 201 and ECT is around 196. I would think that a 6.0 should be very similar.

shawn.snow 06-20-2018 08:03 AM

What are your EOT and EOC temperatures after a cold soak they should be the same or within a degree or two.

Originally Posted by mbinnie (Post 18045674)

yes! Fan is screaming, but on flat or downside of hill drops right down to somewhat normal, I have noticed running with no load the EOT has been drifting higher, before it would be running within 10 degrees of each other. Notice a couple weeks ago cool morning EOT 220 and ECT 196

geekwithoutacause 06-20-2018 09:12 AM

Clogged oil cooler.

finn 06-20-2018 10:25 AM

Try unplugging your tuner. Heat rejection to the coolant is a function of fuel rate. If the tuner is commanding more fuel on the hills than the stock calibration, the cooling system won’t be able to keep temperatures under control.

texastech_diesel 06-20-2018 11:40 AM

You should have P012F strored for the wrench light, that's the oil cooler efficiency warning. The SCT might not be pulling the stored code, not the best scanner available.

Is the oil cooler OEM, or an "upgraded" Sinister one? If it's the Sinister one there have been several reports of new, right out of the box coolers showing 20+* differentials. Only fix for that is an OEM cooler.

If it's OEM, try backflushing the oil cooler:
https://www.accuratediesel.com/6-0l-...flush-kit.html

Sparky83 06-20-2018 12:26 PM

OEM setup i agree.. your oil temps stated for empty and no tow are high.... like the others mentioned your oil coolers most likely plugged.. your coolant temps are about even with where they should be...

1979 Ford 06-22-2018 09:47 PM

I'd bet oil cooler. Two years ago today I went and picked up my 06 from the mechanic after the oil cooler plugged up and EGR failed. So brand new Oil Cooler and an ERG delete and I haven't had an issue since. Well, the coolant tank developed a crack and needed replacement.

mbinnie 06-23-2018 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by 1979 Ford (Post 18051069)
I'd bet oil cooler. Two years ago today I went and picked up my 06 from the mechanic after the oil cooler plugged up and EGR failed. So brand new Oil Cooler and an ERG delete and I haven't had an issue since. Well, the coolant tank developed a crack and needed replacement.

I have less than 10000 miles on this cooler, and everything has been replaced under the hood down to the tranny, the only thing I can figure is the ****ty Ford gold coolant, so gonna try and do a real flush, not a dealer flush, and see if that will do it, and if it doesn’t I have no choice but to replace oil cooler, and will use Cat coolant this time!

Tom 06-23-2018 09:22 AM

Moved to the 6.0L forum.

69cj 06-23-2018 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by mbinnie (Post 18051307)

I have less than 10000 miles on this cooler, and everything has been replaced under the hood down to the tranny, the only thing I can figure is the ****ty Ford gold coolant, so gonna try and do a real flush, not a dealer flush, and see if that will do it, and if it doesn’t I have no choice but to replace oil cooler, and will use Cat coolant this time!

A clean cooling system with the proper mix of Ford Gold will not clog the system in 10,000 miles. You have other problems.