Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   2016 Needs a front brake rebuild at 13,000 miles????? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1544603-2016-needs-a-front-brake-rebuild-at-13-000-miles.html)

sgeorge 06-19-2018 09:51 AM

2016 Needs a front brake rebuild at 13,000 miles?????

A few weeks ago I posted that I thought my trailers were causing my 2016 F250 to pull both left and right intermittently upon breaking. About 25% of the time the truck would have a significant pull to one side or the other and be fine for the other 75% of the time. After some trial and error and more research I have determined that the truck does this with or without a trailer. So off to Ford it goes, after trying to explain to the service writer what was going on (he didn’t seem to know a lot about trucks) they took a look at it and was able to replicate the issue. Here is the problem, they diagnosed the truck as needing a complete front brake rebuild. New pads and turning the rotors to the tune of $600.00. The service writer tried to blame that I tow a 7,000 TT which caused premature brake wear. The pads and rotors look like you would expect on a truck with 13,000 miles. The truck only has 13,000 miles on her. It is only used to tow my trailer. I believe that my calipers are hanging up randomly causing the truck to pull, and the pads and rotors are not the issue. When it doesn’t pull it brakes perfectly, strong, straight, and smooth. I am off this morning to talk with the service manager. Any advice on how to approach them?

Towinrig 06-19-2018 09:57 AM

Does your trailer have brakes? If not get some. If it does I would check and make sure they are functioning properly and are in good condition. As for it doing this without the trailer I would stick to my guns and refuse to pay for any work as it is still "new" and under warranty regardless whether you trailer or not.

redford 06-19-2018 02:40 PM

I would also guess that your trailer brakes are not working very well, which is causing the front brakes on the truck to work a lot harder.

The Bone 06-19-2018 03:50 PM

I tow a 13,000# 5th wheel and have been all over the country and I am still on the factory brakes. 52,000 miles no problem. Sounds like the brakes system isn't working correctly. How many miles have you towed that trailer/ were there hot spots on the rotors? That would be a sign that the brakes are dragging. Brake replacement isn't covered under warranty but failure is covered if it is a problem with the system.

senix 06-19-2018 03:56 PM

sticking calipers is probably the issue, just buy a set of preloaded and replace them and the pads.

I can see the dealer trying to get you to foot the bill, but the calipers are a mechanical failure. Pads are just replaced and maybe rotors as damaged due to the calipers.

Tell the guy, what in the world did they make a Super Duty to do if not tow...might show him the actual towing rating too.

TexasRebel 06-19-2018 04:02 PM

I'll add one for the "check the trailer brakes" camp.

If your pickup is stopping an additional 7,000# those front brakes are getting HOT! Make sure the trailer is stopping itself.

I pulled a 10k conventional on occasion, and the only reason I ever changed the brakes on my '08 was because I had to change the wheel bearings at 100k. Pads & rotors were barely worn.

sgeorge 06-19-2018 05:41 PM

Update - My TT brakes get serviced and adjusted every year. They work so good I can stop the truck with them if needed, that s not the issue. I probably didn't make it very clear in my first post, but the pads and rotor look new as they should. Got to talk to the mechanic and look at the truck today, he even said the pads and rotor look good. No hot spots on the rotor no signs of excessive heat or use. Even the tech said all looked normal, but they are blaming the pulling on some type of defect in the pads and want to change them out. Because it is past the 12 month 12,000 mile warranty and is considered a wear issue I am on the hook for the repair. I call BS on it being the pads, it acts like the calipers are hanging up and causing the pulling. I have explained to all of them that because it happens randomly that it cannot be the pads. If it was the pads why wouldn't it pull every time I brake. They have had the truck for the second full day and I haven't heard from them yet and it is almost closing time. I have a strong belief that they changed the pads and it still pulls. We'll see??? If that is the case and the pads didn't fix it, am I still on the hook to pay for that part of the repair? The service manager did say that anything replaced beyond this point would be covered under warranty.
Thanks for reading!!!

Slowpoke Slim 06-19-2018 06:05 PM

If you told them to change the pads, then yes, you're on the hook for the repair bill. If you didn't, then no, you just got a free set of new pads. I too call "BS" to the pads or rotors being the issue. I'd tell them if it doesn't fix the problem (which I'm certain it won't), then you want your old parts put back on, and they can eat the labor all the way around. They should be taking a hard look at the calipers, brake lines and doing a brake flush and rebleed of the front brakes.