Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Rust and Exploding Driveshafts (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1544253-rust-and-exploding-driveshafts.html)

FractureCritical 06-16-2018 12:05 PM

Rust and Exploding Driveshafts

never in my life have I ever seen anything like this. Thank God it happened pulling away from a stop at an intersection rather than at speed on the highway. The driveshaft let go with enough force to bash in the muffler and get the attention of the cops across the street who heard it and came over to lend a hand.

took out the bits today and you can see where the wall of the shaft got down to the thickness of paper. We’ve talked before about how Ford doesn’t spend the $0.50 to paint the driveshafts, even on the brand new trucks. https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...89c30a97a.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...b88a43a64.jpeg

Just Strokin 06-16-2018 01:50 PM

you must live in rust belt of the NE of Midwest? If one lives in a snow area that the state uses salt and chemicals, then one does need to do some preventative maintenance and not blame Ford for no painting of the shaft.

don123 06-16-2018 02:22 PM

When my truck was brand new it had surface rust on the driveshafts. If I didn’t spray it with fluid film or another product it would be in horrible shape by now. It’s unfortunate but when you buy one of these trucks you need to take steps to prevent rust underneath. My opinion is Ford should do a better job with rust prevention on these trucks and cars they sell. My wife’s last car a Toyota Corolla had absolutely no rust when she sold it after 10 years of use. She bought a brand new Ford Escape and when I did the first oil change I noticed some light rust that I blasted with fluid film.

seville009 06-16-2018 03:02 PM

Have a 2006 F350 that has a rusty driveshaft that looks like those pictures. Primarily just a plow truck now, but may get it replaced.

Also have a 2011 F350 that has an aluminum driveshaft that looks brand new still

FractureCritical 06-16-2018 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Just Strokin (Post 18039952)
you must live in rust belt of the NE of Midwest? If one lives in a snow area that the state uses salt and chemicals, then one does need to do some preventative maintenance and not blame Ford for no painting of the shaft.

no, we’re going to go ahead and blame Ford for this one. It’s insane not to paint a critical drivetrain component that’s essentially made of sheet metal. There is literally zero possible counter argument for it.

“Gee, you must live where there’s road salt” is about as defensible an argument as “Gee no wonder your truck overheated because you live in the south.”

Ford has no qualms selling these trucks up here, but they can’t be bothered to build them for up here. It would have cost another $50 to use effective coating materials on the entire truck, but no: they give BS e-coat primer on the body metal, and naked exposed steel on the stuff that can actually do real damage.

This is is class action law suit level stuff

DogRidesInBack 06-16-2018 05:01 PM

Generally no paint on driveshafts, the paint does not go on evenly and will screw up the balance. Welded on balance, so no way to do it in the reverse order.

That said, there are electrically applied coatings which would reduce corrosion. But the cost goes up.

Just a guess, but the driveshaft is likely not the only rust on your truck. How are the cab corners? Floorboards? Bed rails? Rear fender wells?

maticuno 06-16-2018 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by DogRidesInBack (Post 18040124)
Generally no paint on driveshafts

The Spicer sourced driveshafts on Toyotas are painted. Granted not very well, but it's usually the frame that rusts out on them before the driveshaft goes.

speedfreak78 06-16-2018 07:11 PM

Yeah, Ford probably should've used better coatings, but they only expect these vehicles to have a 10 year life span, nothing's built to last anymore. Saying it's class action worthy is ridiculous. The original buyer had the opportunity to fully inspect the truck , so they know what they were getting. It's the owners responsibility to keep up on maintenance.

Fefanatic 06-16-2018 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by speedfreak78 (Post 18040248)
Yeah, Ford probably should've used better coatings, but they only expect these vehicles to have a 10 year life span, nothing's built to last anymore. Saying it's class action worthy is ridiculous. The original buyer had the opportunity to fully inspect the truck , so they know what they were getting. It's the owners responsibility to keep up on maintenance.

Yep, early Mustangs rusted out floorboards because they did not paint under the front cowl vents. Those rusted through and water got to floorboards and those rusted through. They did not expect those cars to last very long and who would have thought they would be as valuable as they are today. They may have saved $20. on each car but the restorers are making a fortune rebuilding them. One market created another.

speedfreak78 06-16-2018 07:29 PM

Double post

5851a 06-17-2018 06:44 AM

That could have gotten ugly if you were out on interstate trying to pass someone. Odd you can go to salvage yards and find 50 year old drive shafts that just have surface rust. Maybe shafts are made from inferior materials now.

T diesel 06-17-2018 08:01 AM

The 2017 and up are now painted.
Still with the crappie E coat.

speedfreak78 06-17-2018 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by 5851a (Post 18040849)
That could have gotten ugly if you were out on interstate trying to pass someone. Odd you can go to salvage yards and find 50 year old drive shafts that just have surface rust. Maybe shafts are made from inferior materials now.

Majority of steel was better 50 years ago. New steel will always be better than recycled steel, which makes it worse than the parent metal. There's always minor degradation from contaminates. I'd be willing to bet most new vehicles are majority recycled steel. Plus the fact everything was built thicker and heavier in the past.

At one point i owned a 78 Pontiac Bonneville and a 94 Chevy Caprice, both were built on the same chassis/ suspension from 78-96. The 78 had a heavier frame with less lightening holes and mostly just had surface rust underneath where the 94, a 16 yr newer vehicle had to be junked because the floors and rear frame rotted out. I knew the history on both cars, the 94 was washed religiously, the 78 I literally had to shovel mud and sand out of the quarter panel drops, it was just better materials.

Also, could it be Ford trying to save weight to meet more stringent fuel standards? I know they take paint weight into account in some racing and aviation.

Slowpoke Slim 06-17-2018 08:15 AM

OP,

What year is your truck?

How many miles are on the odometer?

82_F100_300Six 06-17-2018 11:18 AM

I was wondering that too