Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Appearance & Dress-Up (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum71/)
-   -   Glowshift gauges (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1544068-glowshift-gauges.html)

Unicom 06-14-2018 05:09 PM

Glowshift gauges

found a decent price on them on ebay with the pillar piece for my 1997 psd.

found positive and negative reviews, whats so bad about them? Ive always used autometers but these are way more reasonable

Thumper96F250 06-16-2018 09:40 AM

Think twice about purchasing colorshift. I purchased for my 96 F250 four gauge pillar piece did not fit even close. I called colorshift they acted shocked like I was the only one that had this problem, ever. They sent me another one. Same problem. Long story shortened up, they gave me a credit of $40 I think it was. What they charge for one. At the time I believe autometer makes one as well for around $80 it seems like it may fit better from some the reviews I did not try it though.

Another issue that I have with the gauges, a pretty big issue really. You can’t adjust the brightness and they are too bright at night. They have a set percent of dimming when you turn on your headlights or running lights the gauges will dim a preset amount. I don’t remember the percentage but it’s not enough and it creates a blindspot from the lights and the hue around the lights.

Other than those issues the gauges seem to be OK. I’m want to make something to install them above my mirror on the headliner. That would be a better location. IMO

Thumper96F250 06-16-2018 09:42 AM

I meant Glowshift and not colorshift. sorry.

Thumper96F250 06-16-2018 09:45 AM

530ktmpilot 06-16-2018 10:16 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...a5d135e76.jpeg
Some have had reliability problems with the sensors and some have been fine. I did alot of reading and ultimately settled on Issa pro as they had factory matching guages and a steller reliability record. They are more expensive but quality (including pillar mount) is top notch. They allow dimming via the computer programming tool and the brightness is a perfect match for my truck. They also have a built in warning light that can be programmed (again via the computer tool that is included) to come on a a preset value like low OP light or too high of EGT. There is a guy named Joe Oram on facebook that sells them as a side business and his prices were better than anyone else I looked at. Quick shipping too.

Thumper96F250 06-16-2018 10:36 AM

Those look great, they match real nice. I’m talking about world of difference to mine looking like total, (well) add on and it doesn’t fit. I have a 97 F3 50 I will check out the ISSA PRO for it. Thank you for that.

Unicom 06-16-2018 11:59 PM

Yea i couldnt live with how bad that gauge pod fits, thanks for the info (and pics) that answers my question!

jgg123 06-17-2018 06:34 AM

The pod does fit very poorly over the factory pillar, I ended up removing the factory pillar trim (which gave me a lot more room for wiring etc} and secured it near the headliner with a fairly closely matched screw. Yeah yeah I get the idea you get what you pay for but the idea of spending 10% of what I actually spent on the truck on high quality gauges is ridiculous to me.

Mine's an 02 with tan interior, I'll see if I can snap a pic for you.

Unicom 06-17-2018 08:11 AM

The problem with gauges is that you have to look at them the whole time you drive so the imperfections stick out!

perhaps i can research a way to get them dimmer, that would be an issue (like aftermarket stereos that blind you at night)

jgg123 06-17-2018 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Unicom (Post 18040928)
The problem with gauges is that you have to look at them the whole time you drive so the imperfections stick out!

perhaps i can research a way to get them dimmer, that would be an issue (like aftermarket stereos that blind you at night)

IMO it looks really good without the factory trim underneath. I'll post some pics for you to decide. I also went with the tinted gauges so maybe that helps with the brightness,although I haven't done a lot of nightime driving yet with them.

Thumper96F250 06-19-2018 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by jgg123 (Post 18040931)
IMO it looks really good without the factory trim underneath. I'll post some pics for you to decide. I also went with the tinted gauges so maybe that helps with the brightness,although I haven't done a lot of nightime driving yet with them.

My year truck the factory piece comes back about 14” above door and the new one doesn’t. If I made the piece it would replace the factory piece.

I have the tinted ones, I don’t know if it helps but the brightness is still a problem. I know very little about electronics but am trying to learn. I would think that a different size resister installed it would change the percentage of dimness. I’ve had mine for a couple of years, maybe there is a newer version???

Oh another issue that I have is of the four gauges is two of them are identical colored LEDs and the other two are identical to themselves, however, all four are not exactly the same color. Close but no cigar.

Thumper96F250 06-19-2018 09:35 PM

One more issue is the gauges actually are and looking at the roof of the truck and not towards me. It makes it a more difficult to see the readings.

Unicom 06-20-2018 08:19 AM

Has anyone used the autometer pods? I have a super duty and an obs that i am considering doing gauges in if i can make them look decent