Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Options: Why is your truck optioned the way it is? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1543963-options-why-is-your-truck-optioned-the-way-it-is.html)

Ksmeyer18 06-13-2018 07:06 PM

Options: Why is your truck optioned the way it is?

Buy a short bed over a long bed so your truck didn't come with a zip code? 4.x gears over 3.x gears because you tow more than just groceries around town? How about that black on black scheme you're planning, because any truck you own can be any color in the world as long as it's black...

Here's a chance to share with the community what you did and why you did it; opinions and pictures welcome.

​​​​I'm hoping this turns into a nice read for those on the fence between what they want, what they need, or just flat out looking for ideas on what to do or get on their built Ford tough truck :-drink

lawnspecialties 06-13-2018 07:10 PM

Long bed because I use the 450 for pulling our toy hauler and I also like to have an auxiliary tank in the bed. I just returned from Speedway after a $370.00 fill-up. :D

Metallic grey because it matches the cap of the Vengeance.

Lariat because I like the look better than the KR and Platinum.

450 because I like the look better than the 350.

Ksmeyer18 06-13-2018 07:15 PM

I just ordered my 19' 250, and I must say I'm pretty excited for the two tone blue jeans and mag color combo to match the base 18s with magnetic painted pockets... Super into the color combo.

Happily stuck with the value package on my Lariat, because I must say it's about the best value I've encountered for the little money spent..

4x4 over my current fwd explorer because the new boat needs to make it's way out of some of those steep weed'n'water laden lake ramps we have scattered here in Wisconsin. :-D

​​​​​I'd go for the OEM LED's, but the features on the ultimate w/ the awesome headlights, I just can't justify the 3k boost in price.

cficare 06-13-2018 07:15 PM

Got a KR because I believe it was the only 2017 trim level where one could get LED headlights without also having to get the troublesome 2-panel sunroof.

ymsmiley 06-13-2018 07:21 PM

The good stuff:

2018 F250 Ultimate - a little luxury, Ultimate Tow - to tow my hauler and all the cameras are handy, FX4 - since I'm going to lift it and I like a capable truck that I'll actually get it a little dirty, short bed - since long it to looong, 6.7 - since I like the power, insisted on spray-in bed liner and all weather mats - I like em tough and rugged to take some abuse, white on black since I live in AZ and it's already hitting 110+!

Now for the meh:

Chrome package - since it was included, non LED headlights - not happy about it but I got a ridiculous deal on the truck, side steps instead of Amps - see previous explanation, DEF - since we don't have a choice and I actually like the smell of a little diesel exhaust

Ksmeyer18 06-13-2018 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by lawnspecialties (Post 18035487)
...I also like to have an auxiliary tank in the bed. I just returned from Speedway after a $370.00 fill-up. :D

May seem like a steep bill at the pump, but you value your time and you'd like to spend it at your destination rather than at the pumps trying to get there... :-X06

Ksmeyer18 06-13-2018 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by cficare (Post 18035493)
Got a KR because I believe it was the only 2017 trim level where one could get LED headlights without also having to get the troublesome 2-panel sunroof.

I sure do miss my sunroofs though... I opted in for a moonroof this go around... I sure hope it's 'panes' of glass rather than 'pains' of glass. :-roll

Truckie256 06-13-2018 07:36 PM

Because that's how Enterprise rental ordered it...

Ksmeyer18 06-13-2018 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Truckie256 (Post 18035535)
Because that's how Enterprise rental ordered it...

Ha, I was waiting for that response :-X21

Surfish 06-13-2018 08:00 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...4172e407e3.png
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...fdeb2a802.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f9a391116.jpeg
Long bed because need the room. Vinyl floors because carpet and sand don’t mix. Ordered without running boards so I could add 150 boards in magnetic. Really like the boards, wheel accents and lower magnetic two tone together. Also ordered lariat value package because definitely did not want a sunroof and it’s a great value for very little money. Just shy of 18k miles since mid September and no problems at all.

jakematic 06-13-2018 08:03 PM

17 Lariat VP, black on black, sitting since October that I bought 4-April-2018

Because:
  • it was 1.1 mile away at the dealership I trust
  • 3.55... mmmm sporty, but can still tow
  • chrome bumpers and steps can be removed
  • it looked f'ing awesome - wasn't in the market but couldn't stop looking at the side shot on the website
  • I've had it all in a car that was 2X the cost of a top of the line KR SD
  • some times enough is enough, and you should be happy with minimum requirements like a little tech and being able to GTFO of your own way
  • 25 years I've wanted a PSD, I earned this dammit
  • no holes in the roof to let water in and fail
  • it makes me happy, and that is the most important thing

h20camper 06-13-2018 08:08 PM

• Short bed - Like the look and have no need for long bed.
  • Crew Cab - love the room.
  • Gas - been down the diesel route and just don't want or need one. Especially one with all the emissions.
  • Silver - Like a clean vehicle and was tired always washing the black one. Doesn't show scratches.
  • STX Package - Best bang for the buck. Has everything my 2002 Lariat had except leather (not a big fan of), adjustable gas/brake pedal and fog lights (which I never used and are bug catchers for cleaning).
  • Camper Pkg - Wanted the aux leaf spring and the rear stabilizer bar
  • F250 - Ride and Torque G tranny. (With having a gas engine, payload capacity wasn't a big concern)
  • 3.73 - MPGs and I don't tow heavy.
  • Clearance Lights - You just have to have them on a SD. Definitely segments you from the 150s.

Ksmeyer18 06-13-2018 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Surfish (Post 18035577)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...fdeb2a802.jpeg

... Ordered without running boards so I could add 150 boards in magnetic. Really like the boards, wheel accents and lower magnetic two tone together...

I skipped the stock boards too with my two tone! Really digging those 150 mag boards? Pretty rigid with only two brackets per side unlike the super duty three? How's the height (from the picture it looks higher up, which is nice. gives the truck a bigger ground clearance look)

Ksmeyer18 06-13-2018 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by jakematic (Post 18035581)
17 Lariat VP, black on black, sitting since October that I bought 4-April-2017

Because:
  • it was 1.1 mile away at the dealership I trust
  • 3.55... mmmm sporty, but can still tow
  • chrome bumpers and steps can be removed
  • it looked f'ing awesome - wasn't in the market but couldn't stop looking at the side shot on the website
  • I've had it all in a car that was 2X the cost of a top of the line KR SD
  • some times enough is enough, and you should be happy with minimum requirements like a little tech and being able to GTFO of your own way
  • 25 years I've wanted a PSD, I earned this dammit
  • no holes in the roof to let water in and fail
  • it makes me happy, and that is the most important thing

There's nothing like putting in the hardwork to earn something you truly enjoy. Congrats on your truck! :-dancing1

Xwild 06-13-2018 08:32 PM

Long bed - Like the look and I like being able to turn past 90 with the goosenecks
Crew Cab - love the room.
Gas - Don't see a need for diesel at any point in the next 5-10 years.
White - Like the look. Goes with everything.
Lariat Ultimate Package - Wanted the LED lights. Wanted everything else too. Preferred the white/chrome compared to the platinum/KR looks. Also didn't want the options that only come on Platinum/KR
F250 - Ride and Torque G tranny. (With having a gas engine, payload capacity wasn't a big concern)
4.30 - Hills. Lots of hills. And towing.
Clearance Lights - You just have to have them on a SD. Definitely segments you from the 150s.
Spray-In Liner - last truck didn't have one, and didn't have much paint left in the bed either.. figure let the liner take the abuse.
factory gooseneck setup - I installed a B&W in the last truck. Have 2 goosenecks, figured it wasn't worth my time for the very few dollars if any I'd save doing it myself.