Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   6.7 reliability data. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1543604-6-7-reliability-data.html)

Headhunter68 06-10-2018 07:09 PM

6.7 reliability data.

Gonna buy a new SD before year end, don't need a diesel but kinda want one. I know of some of the horror stories I've read in forums about costly repairs , catastrophic failures , etc as well as those who guarantee 500k trouble free miles. My question is....where can a guy go to get the real truth about the reliability. I can't help but feel uncomfortable just using forums as the gospel.

tony montana 42 06-10-2018 07:14 PM

6.7 is very reliable as long as proper maintenance is done. I actually got rid of 2011 6.7 and traded it a 17 6.2l. Only reason I decided to get rid of it is my extended warranty was just about out and was expensive extend and I’m not towing over 10,000 pounds.

Bill_The_PA 06-10-2018 07:34 PM

Here is my 2 cents
You want the truth...go to your local dealership ask who is their chief diesel mechanic. Take that guy a coffee during his break. He'll tell you the truth.
Your best bet is buy what you need or expect you will need. Also but the best extended warranty and maintenance plan you can afford and go enjoy that truck regardless of its engine.

TJP249 06-10-2018 07:42 PM

I don’t know if the data you are looking for exists, but if you want the diesel, get the diesel else you won’t be happy. The 6.7 appears to be as reliable as any other current diesel offerings. If you have the means than go for it with the understanding of proper maintenance and the possibility of post warranty repairs.

Headhunter68 06-10-2018 07:56 PM

Thanks guys, I'm one of those that a 6.2 meets all my needs, and the presumed comfort of the reliability and less complicated maintenance makes sense. Buy the 6.2 and be left wanting... Buy the diesel and be left with bad thoughts every time I hear an odd sound...... I've played this in my mind and money aside, the 6.2 is the smarter play for me, but sometimes want wins over logic!!!

Bill_The_PA 06-10-2018 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Headhunter68 (Post 18030222)
Thanks guys, I'm one of those that a 6.2 meets all my needs, and the presumed comfort of the reliability and less complicated maintenance makes sense. Buy the 6.2 and be left wanting... Buy the diesel and be left with bad thoughts every time I hear an odd sound...... I've played this in my mind and money aside, the 6.2 is the smarter play for me, but sometimes want wins over logic!!!

FWIW a lot of fleet CO are going to gas as for them the penny counts. Maintenance is more expensive. This was debated heavily on this forum. Look up 6.7 vs 6.2 or maybe it was gas vs diesel. Good luck. I chose the diesel as I plan on towing lots. For me it’s a need not want.
YOLO

toymaster 06-10-2018 11:09 PM

I've seen no such data. Back in the day they had stats that such and such percentage would go blah blah miles. The 5.9 was known to be a 1,000,000 mile motor while the 7.3 was 500,000 motor..... Nobody is bragging about that anymore so, that is not a good sign in my book.

On the other front, there is no way to make the dollars and cents work out to buy a diesel over a gas motor now-a-days with the high cost of the low sulfur diesel and the $10,000 up front costs. There are reasons to go diesel but money is not one of them. I say if you are here asking then gas is the way to go for you. I may be talking out of my ass here but just the $10,000 is enough to run two motors and be ahead of the diesel. I'd never buy a heavier truck with a gas motor myself.

kylant 06-11-2018 06:33 AM

I am getting out of diesel. I am selling my camper. so i will have no need for diesel at this time. A smaller gas motor will fit my needs just fine.
Oil changes, fuel filters, etc... all way more expensive on the diesel. 30 cents a gallon extra tax for diesel here... all the extra expense just does not make sense for me now.
I love the power, but...
i am also terrified of the potential fuel system repairs. with my luck, i would be a contaminated fuel victim :(

nico963 06-11-2018 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bill_The_PA (Post 18030184)
Here is my 2 cents
You want the truth...go to your local dealership ask who is their chief diesel mechanic. Take that guy a coffee during his break. He'll tell you the truth.
Your best bet is buy what you need or expect you will need. Also but the best extended warranty and maintenance plan you can afford and go enjoy that truck regardless of its engine.

Minus the coffee,This is exactly what I did.I went to all my local Ford dealers and simply walked in to the diesel mechanics bay and just asked if I could have a minute if there time and ask them a few questions.

If you wanna know how it went, I planned on buying a 6.2 as I was really worried about the new diesels....I currently have a new 6.7 sitting in my garage....

FOURBYBUD 06-11-2018 07:13 AM

I don't need a diesel, but to me it's all about smiles per gallon. Mine has been trouble free.

HRTKD 06-11-2018 08:08 AM

I tow an 11K bumper pull toy hauler over 11,000' mountain passes. Yeah, I got the diesel (and the extended warranty, just in case). If I had seen a lot of posts here and in the diesel subforum indicating poor reliability I either would be in a GMC or maybe a 6.2L F-350. The 6r140 transmission seems to be as reliable as the 6.7L engine. That was very encouraging to me.

UGA33 06-11-2018 08:25 AM

Don't discount forum info on reliability. I have a personal matrix on determining how reliable one engine is compared to its peers. When I take into account my personal experience with the 6.7, the 100 or so people I personally know with them, info from my Ford diesel tech friend, and trends/questions that I monitor here and on Facebook, it all comes together to form an extremely reliable opinion. The 6.7s have done extremely well. Well enough to buy one and expect many trouble free miles out of it.

C12H24 06-11-2018 08:26 AM

The only reliability/problem data is with Ford corporate. Everything else is anecdotal. You can get a general impression, like researching posts on the particular model/engine, but you have to be pragmatic about what you're seeing. A lot of postings about failed connecting rods, yeah, you have to pay attention to that. Posts where there are no real patterns, well, things can go wrong with any vehicle. Keep in mind; People come here to post about a problem. Sometimes looking for a solution, and sometimes just to carp or bring their issue to the attention of the world. You don't see a lot of posts about people who have no issues whatsoever.

The argument of diesel or gas is pointless. If you WANT a diesel, get a diesel. Screw the analysis over which makes more financial sense.

Blwnsmoke 06-11-2018 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by toymaster (Post 18030564)
I've seen no such data. Back in the day they had stats that such and such percentage would go blah blah miles. The 5.9 was known to be a 1,000,000 mile motor while the 7.3 was 500,000 motor..... Nobody is bragging about that anymore so, that is not a good sign in my book.

On the other front, there is no way to make the dollars and cents work out to buy a diesel over a gas motor now-a-days with the high cost of the low sulfur diesel and the $10,000 up front costs. There are reasons to go diesel but money is not one of them. I say if you are here asking then gas is the way to go for you. I may be talking out of my ass here but just the $10,000 is enough to run two motors and be ahead of the diesel. I'd never buy a heavier truck with a gas motor myself.

The 6.7 has a B10 rating of 250,000 miles.

Blwnsmoke 06-11-2018 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Headhunter68 (Post 18030222)

It really isn't that much more maintenance. It costs more but the extra work is minimal.

DEF every oil change (buy at pump or buy 2 2.5 gallon jugs)

Fuel filters every other pil change (you are already under there anyways).