Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   New Owner looking to improve towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1542697-new-owner-looking-to-improve-towing.html)

pirate4x4_camo 07-13-2018 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rcarpen22 (Post 18085074)
Ok, been a while, but I figured I would report back. I took the Ex into a truck alignment shop. They looked over everything and set the alignment. They also retorqued the ball joints, as they determined that the front end was "too tight." I asked for 5 degrees of + caster. They put 2 degree bushings on, which took it from +2 to +4. Bottom line, that solved the bulk of my problems. I took it (plus 6 other people) on a road trip and cruised easy at 75 with no issues. The steering still isn't great by normal car standards, but it no longer feels terrifying at high speeds. I'm going to install some new Bilsteins and tires and call it a day. Any tire recommendations for towing? I want a stiff sidewall, so thinking maybe BFG A/Ts. They are E load rated and have mega stiff sidewalls.
Thanks

glad to hear you are getting the handeling sorted out.

Tires.

earliet you mentioned you wanted the Michelin LTX tiresand now a BFG ?

Since BFG ( made by Michelin ) doesn’t offer a highway type tread I have to ask, what tread type are you wanting ?
highway , all terain, mud terrain .

you are saying you want a stiff sidewall but that isn’t really how tires are built nowadays, manufactures spend absurd amounts of money on research and development to develop technologies that allow softer sidewalls because they give a better ride, handle better, last longer and tow better.

Ill give my recomendationson the the 3 tread types with towing in mind.

highway Nitto Dura grappler
all terrain Nitto Ridge grappler
mud terrain BFG km3

( and yes I am a BFG fan and retired driver for them )

WE3ZS 07-13-2018 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rcarpen22 (Post 18085074)
Ok, been a while, but I figured I would report back. I took the Ex into a truck alignment shop. They looked over everything and set the alignment. They also retorqued the ball joints, as they determined that the front end was "too tight." I asked for 5 degrees of + caster. They put 2 degree bushings on, which took it from +2 to +4. Bottom line, that solved the bulk of my problems. I took it (plus 6 other people) on a road trip and cruised easy at 75 with no issues. The steering still isn't great by normal car standards, but it no longer feels terrifying at high speeds. I'm going to install some new Bilsteins and tires and call it a day. Any tire recommendations for towing? I want a stiff sidewall, so thinking maybe BFG A/Ts. They are E load rated and have mega stiff sidewalls.
Thanks

Our EX is a dedicated tow rig and I try to keep it off the road for the salty Winters (that hasn't worked out so well the past 2 years with salty, snowy, iced Spring trips....) and it doesn't go off road at all, so I went with the Nitto Dura Grappler tire's that have a highway rib type design. They have proven to be an excellent towing tire that handles my 6,000+ lb rear axles weight great and are wearing very well. I have always had a truck for the past 35 years as well driving several different trucks in the Fire Service and these are without question the quietest truck tire's I have ever used, you just don't hear them!

2.5gl 07-13-2018 12:20 PM

I put the bilsteins on last year. Improved the rebound vastly since the original shocks were shot. Hope you like them as well.

I have the BFG A/T T\A KO2. I liked them, except for now. Alignment was a bit off, and now they "sing". I'll get new ones (post alignment) before these hit the wear bars since I can't stand the noise. I figure I'd get 50k out of them if my alignment was right and wear was even. Right now I'm at about 30k wear @ 5-6/32.
However, I probably won't get BFGs again. I might take the recommendation of the Nitto Dura Grappler since I'm mostly highway. Hopefully those do well with towing 4-6K once or twice a month.

robert_l_ross 07-13-2018 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by R&T Babich (Post 18085264)
Do you have a rear anti-roll bar?
The Ex did not come with one, even though the F250s, Explorers, Expeditions, etc. all did.
A rear anti-roll bar helps keep the rear end under control when cornering and cross winds, especially when towing.
Our 8k TH tows great in winds.

No, mine only has the front bar. I don't get 'roll' problems, I get the 'push' from passing semis and hard cross winds. Slowing down fixes the feeling. I've thought about adding one, just haven't found time yet...working on building a custom center console first.

thor363 07-13-2018 12:47 PM

With my minor lift I added the Hellwig bar. World of difference. Sounds like you need a really good anti sway hitch also.

WE3ZS 07-13-2018 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2.5gl (Post 18085373)
I put the bilsteins on last year. Improved the rebound vastly since the original shocks were shot. Hope you like them as well.

I have the BFG A/T T\A KO2. I liked them, except for now. Alignment was a bit off, and now they "sing". I'll get new ones (post alignment) before these hit the wear bars since I can't stand the noise. I figure I'd get 50k out of them if my alignment was right and wear was even. Right now I'm at about 30k wear @ 5-6/32.
However, I probably won't get BFGs again. I might take the recommendation of the Nitto Dura Grappler since I'm mostly highway. Hopefully those do well with towing 4-6K once or twice a month.

My Duras have performed as good as I could ever ask of a tire over the last 5 years and 23K towing miles with the 11K+ lb TT behind, typically a couple of 1 to 2.5 K mile trips a year and several short local weekends away.
I will be absolutely buying a new set if I ever wear these ones out! :-X22

Kai Herrmann 07-13-2018 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by R&T Babich (Post 18085264)
Do you have a rear anti-roll bar?
The Ex did not come with one, even though the F250s, Explorers, Expeditions, etc. all did.
A rear anti-roll bar helps keep the rear end under control when cornering and cross winds, especially when towing.
Our 8k TH tows great in winds.

My 05 came with a factory rear bar. I didn't know it was there so I ordered a Hellwig and when I installed it I found it had a stock anti roll bar.

Mattman81 07-13-2018 09:30 PM

Sway bar links

When I got mine a few years ago, mine seem to wonder some as well. Check to make sure your sway bar links are in good shape. I didn't see anyone mention that. If they did. Sorry I missed it. But a set of links and new shocks did lots of good for mine. Mine has the LTX tires they are great on the road. Suck in a little bit of mud when hunting.
I went with the Rancho 9000 series shocks. They are decent. For the price I think they are a good shock. Kinda wish I would have went Beilsteins. But my ex is no where near mint. I would bet your steering stabilizer is shot to. Get one of those while your at it. But it will make a difference. I tow a 32' camper.

BTW great talk on the springs guys. I looked as SD springs last year for my Ex. I am confused now. Is that the best option or is it a home made version? If I wanted to replace them. Should I get them from SD or something some where else.
Thanks

R&T Babich 07-13-2018 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kai Herrmann (Post 18086080)
My 05 came with a factory rear bar. I didn't know it was there so I ordered a Hellwig and when I installed it I found it had a stock anti roll bar.

I've read the 05s were more likely to come with a rear anti roll bar.
There was a "tow package" option that included a rear bar, too.
Your OEM bar was probably one of these diameters - 32mm (1.25”), 30mm (1.18”), or 27mm (1.1”)
Any of these bars are much better than none.
The Hellwig bar is 1.25".
Upgrading to a larger diameter bar is similar to upgrading to thicker leaf springs.
Larger diameter bars will provide increased roll resistance.
The front Hellwig bar provides more roll resistance for the front end and when combined with the rear bar provides excellent handling/control.

Kai Herrmann 07-13-2018 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by R&T Babich (Post 18086220)
I've read the 05s were more likely to come with a rear anti roll bar.
There was a "tow package" option that included a rear bar, too.
Your OEM bar was probably one of these diameters - 32mm (1.25”), 30mm (1.18”), or 27mm (1.1”)
Any of these bars are much better than none.
The Hellwig bar is 1.25".
Upgrading to a larger diameter bar is similar to upgrading to thicker leaf springs.
Larger diameter bars will provide increased roll resistance.
The front Hellwig bar provides more roll resistance for the front end and when combined with the rear bar provides excellent handling/control.

Gotcha. I wish mine came with the full tow package but unfortunately it has the 3.73 gears.I would say my OE bar was one of the smaller ones, definitely smaller than the Hellwig.

Rcarpen22 07-16-2018 08:24 AM

Mine has the Hellwig rear bar. I will look at the steering stabilizer to see if it needs to be replaced, but I think the PO did that fairly recently (it's a Rancho unit). After re-torquing the ball joints and setting the caster, mine handles better. However, after pulling my trailer again this weekend, it is still unacceptable. It still does not tow as well as my Volkswagen, which is significantly smaller. Perhaps a larger front bar would help. I am going to replace the tie rods, sway bar end links, and install the Bilsteins. If, after all that, it still does not meet my needs, I may sell it and just use the Touareg for towing and buy my wife something else to drive. I would certainly miss the room I have in the Ex, but, as it stands, I just don't feel like it is a safe tow vehicle. If I notice incremental improvement, I may go as far as doing the spring swap. I really don't want to be $30k into a 20 year old vehicle though... Man, I wish they hadn't discontinued the EX. A 2011 version with the 6.7 and (more) modern front end design would be so awesome.

Rcarpen22 07-16-2018 08:27 AM

Oh, Pirate, as far as tires go, yeah, I know the LTX is highly rated, but as you pointed out, many tires now have softer sidewall for ride quality. I know the BFGs have a really stiff sidewall because I used to try to destroy them as an engineer for Michelin (long time ago). You stated that you would go with the M/T over the A/T. Can you elaborate on that? Thanks.

Rcarpen22 07-16-2018 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by robert_l_ross (Post 18085216)
I have a sticky somewhere on my spring swap...did it in about 8 hours with floor jacks and jack stands while BSing with a buddy one Saturday.

If I decide to do the spring swap, I will definitely go find this. Your description of the results from the spring swap are compelling. It seems like that has to be the biggest design flaw in the Ex given that F250s from the same era do not seem to suffer from these issues. I already set the caster and it did improve the wander some. The big issue towing now is that the trailer really moves the back end of the Ex around a lot and seems to control the tow. That is with a load distributing hitch. It is surprising to me given how big the Ex is relative to my VW, which is rock solid up to about 65 when towing. It sounds like maybe replacing the springs and installing airbags might really be the answer.

pirate4x4_camo 07-16-2018 08:55 AM

for me the M/T meets my needs since I don’t daily drive my Ex, it is more or less a toy I take to Baja on safari.
I try to drive it at least once a week but still, it sits a lot between trips.

When you were at Michelin did you do destruction testing on your competitors products ?
I’d be intressted in a subjective anylasis of a Nitto vs Bfg sidewall comparison if you can share the data.

Mattman81 07-16-2018 08:59 AM

Is your weight distrabution cranked up to much? Are you removing all the weight from the back? Did you use it on the VW? 7500lbs on the VW seems like you would be blowing the GCWR by a lot. Towing with a smaller rig and soft rear springs did you lighten up the front end of your trailer to compensate?