Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   What is the most durable soft top for Broncos? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1542596-what-is-the-most-durable-soft-top-for-broncos.html)

Shag from WA 06-03-2018 12:30 AM

What is the most durable soft top for Broncos?

I just picked up a '86 and plan on dailying so i can rotate between my '59 fairlane and 65 'camino. So all three of them get a ton of winter rain driving in the wetside of Washington.

Between here and the various bronco forums i've seen a lot of threads about fit, finish and ease of install but I'm not really worried about those, what is the best bang for the buck for durability? I'm actually considering just getting a spare fiberglass top and skeletonizing it, adding snaps and going to a marine upholstery shop to stretch some cloth on it

75BigBlock 06-03-2018 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Shag from WA (Post 18016620)
I'm actually considering just getting a spare fiberglass top and skeletonizing it, adding snaps and going to a marine upholstery shop to stretch some cloth on it

I'm assuming you've seen this thread? Hard top to soft top conversion (pics) - Ford Bronco Forum
I had considered doing something like that when I found a 78 in th JY here with an intact top that was missing the windows, but then I remembered I have no fab skills or tools, dang.

Sorry I'm of no help on the soft top info, but if I had the ability I seriously would have taken that top I found and chopped it up. I know a guy who does upholstery and does a lot of boat covers, so I'm sure that'd be an easy thing for him to do if I had the top chopped and ready to go.

Shag from WA 06-03-2018 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 75BigBlock (Post 18016658)

Ive heard of that thread mentioned in other posts about soft tops that i found, but hadn't actually seen it, thanks! I'm figuring on probably doing something simpler, probably a basic fastback design with a window in the middle so i dont have to deal with bracing, and less seams to possably leak from. I'm not worried about loosing back seat space.

schwim 06-04-2018 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Shag from WA (Post 18017493)
Something simpler, probably a basic fastback design with a window in the middle so i dont have to deal with bracing, and less seams to possably leak from. I'm not worried about loosing back seat space.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to have it custom made. There's only the two companies making the traditional cap replacement type tops. Although the Skyler site is still up, they've been out of business for years. There's a used one for sale over on FSB and that's the first one I've seen come up in years.

There's been a bunch of discussion over on FSB about building a fastback-type top but I've only seen one person actually do it.