Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Early 99 up-pipe wont fit driver side (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1541859-early-99-up-pipe-wont-fit-driver-side.html)

socali350 05-28-2018 02:16 AM

Early 99 up-pipe wont fit driver side

Hello all I am a long time viewer of this forum but first time posting. First things first I have an early 99 7.3 which I am doing the up pipes on, I was starting to put everything back together and could not get the driver side pipe on the manifold (about half an inch off). I know the pedestals are different and I have read that the manifolds are not. I bought 99.5 and later bellowed up-pipes hoping they would fit but they don't. My question is what do I need to get in order to make it work ie. pedestal or manifold? I would like to keep the EBPV for when I go on trips to the snow. Thanks!

jhl3 05-28-2018 06:37 AM

Since you state that you have an early '99 and assuming that the engine still has the e99 turbo, e99 pedestal, e99 collector, and e99 plenums, then you will need e99 up pipes. The exhaust manifolds should be the same.
Are the up pipes too long by 1/2"?

socali350 05-28-2018 03:36 PM

It does have all the e99 stuff but the turbo housing has been up graded to the bigger size. The driver side up-pipe is too long by half an inch. Would I be able to get away with just using a later pedestal to raise it up that half inch?

jhl3 05-28-2018 04:32 PM

I do not know the answer to your question. I can say that there was a guy in the Columbia, SC area about 10 years ago that made a custom plate to raise the height of the turbo on an e99. I don't remember why but up pipes would make sense. I would check to see if your plenum to spider CAC boots would accommodate the added space from the L99 pedestal between them first: that added 1/2 inch could cause the boots to blow off with some regularity. Also check to see if the collector/baby's butt is actually crooked/not indexed properly to the turbo while connected to the L99 PS up pipe. If so, the difference in height would not actually be 1/2". If the turbo is not indexed properly to the collector, you'll have a hell of a time with the v-band clamp and you'll have an exhaust leak.

At the end of the day, I would either update everything to L99 or just buy the e99 up pipes.

If cost is not a factor, a T4 setup would be a huge upgrade instead of the L99 update.

socali350 05-28-2018 06:13 PM

Okay thank you for the help!

roozterdvx 05-29-2018 05:56 AM

Need some details on this...
E99 pedestal and E99 turbo or late turbo?
What housing was upgraded?
I'm assuming you're using a late baby's butt that came with the up pipes.

Bonanza35 05-29-2018 03:55 PM

If everything is early it should work. Don't know with out seeing, but a 1/2 inch long, cut a 1/2 inch off. You might have one late up pipe. If you went to the t4, you'd have to change plenums to I would think.

socali350 05-29-2018 10:12 PM

Everything is stock e99 turbo wise accept it has a bigger ebpv for a larger down pipe. I am using the later babys butt that came with the bellowed up pipes kit I have a feeling that this driver side pipe is longer due to the taller turbo pedestal on the later trucks. Im trying to find out if i do go with the later pedestal if I have to go with the rest of the stuff like turbo, spider plennums etc. I found a guy that is trying to sell his 2002 wreck whole but he also put parting out in the ad on craigslist so i'm waiting on him to make up his mind. What would be a good price for used turbo and spider and pedestal probably try to get his IDM and Computer too so i can have the cruise light

socali350 05-29-2018 10:18 PM

Also I would love to go on a bonanza ride I'm a private with an instrument working on my commercial out of Cable

Bonanza35 05-29-2018 10:37 PM

I would love to take you if I still had the plane. I put the IO550 in it with full instruments and altitude preselect autopilot. Me and my son always went to oshkosh and all over the US. Had so much fun in that plane. Should of never sold it. Keep up the good work. Had friends at Cable airport, they use to restore Howard aircraft. Do you have a plane? I remember when the first lansair came out at oshkosh. I said, not sure if I'd want one, but now, I'd take it in a minute. Go on line and look up Mike Patey and his turbulence. Now that's a plane. Built after the lansair but heavily modified.

socali350 05-29-2018 11:22 PM

Darn I"m doing my training in a friends archer. I do like the Lancairs as well I saw a home built one take off almost vertical out of gilsebie one time.

Walleye Hunter 05-30-2018 06:49 AM

I am pretty sure that if you switch anything from the up pipes through to the plenums it's an all or nothing deal but someone else might have different experience. Here's why...well...you have found out why on the up pipes. A raised turbo will require a different spider and the later spider has larger outlets on it to match up with the larger holes on the plenums (I'm thinking 3" vs 2" but my memory is foggy, either way, size is irrelevant as the difference is real). You'll also need to adjust your downpipe to reach the higher turbo outlet so you might need a different downpipe too if the existing one won't reach. You'll also need the rubber tube that mounts on the inlet side of the turbo, it's technically called a turbo inlet tube if you have to hunt one down.

roozterdvx 05-30-2018 12:59 PM

From what socali has posted...

late baby's butt installed
late pass side bellowed up pipe installed

late drive side bellowed up pipe is approx. 1/2" too long

I wish I had this info a couple of months ago when I replaced my clutch...
...would have ordered a bellowed up pipe kit and worked on it while the tranny was out.

I have my own tig welder and shortening/fitting the up pipe would be a breeze without the tranny in the way.
My only consolation is that I was short on time when I did the clutch and I really didn't need to add to the project.

I'm def going to order a kit and "be ready" if/when the up pipe gaskets let go ;)

roozterdvx 05-30-2018 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by socali350 (Post 18006346)
Hello all I am a long time viewer of this forum but first time posting. First things first I have an early 99 7.3 which I am doing the up pipes on, I was starting to put everything back together and could not get the driver side pipe on the manifold (about half an inch off). I know the pedestals are different and I have read that the manifolds are not. I bought 99.5 and later bellowed up-pipes hoping they would fit but they don't. My question is what do I need to get in order to make it work ie. pedestal or manifold? I would like to keep the EBPV for when I go on trips to the snow. Thanks!

How about taking the up pipe to an exhaust shop or a welding shop and have it shortened?

socali350 05-30-2018 09:00 PM

roozterdvx shortening it looks like the best option. I just have to make sure my measurement is right the nice thing about the bellows are you can move them around the part that sucks is I already wrapped them with exhaust wrap. Oh well I guess.