Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Exhaust filter service required at 62K (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1540321-exhaust-filter-service-required-at-62k.html)

bkuuz1 05-14-2018 11:01 PM

Exhaust filter service required at 62K

What's the likely hood the exhaust filter needs to be serviced at 62K? This is a 2015 truck that does not have a lot of idle time on it either. We were on a trip from Denver to The 4 corners. Drove across several mountain passes pulling the toy hauler, so I was using the exhaust break a lot and lower gears. Got to the flats at South Park and noticed the DPF was full and went into cleaning. A little bit latter the the notice came up DPF was "Overloaded drive till clean." About ten minutes after that got a red notice the "DPF was over limit and service required." Torque Pro shows the regen is off, not sure if that indicator actually works or not, but my soot level was showing 331% full. As I travelled down the highway trying to find a place to park for the night, the soot% dropped to 267% and was still dropping as I kept driving. We found a spot for the night before we ended up in limp mode or it shut down. Trying to figure out if this is possibly a false indication or not. Showing a fault Forscan code of PSMP246c:00ec. OBDII reads P246C-C. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brice

my_crib_too 05-14-2018 11:14 PM

I thought this was a known issue when driving at altitude. Seem to remember that it goes away once you return to normal driving and regens. Dealer flash is the permanent fix. All based on memory. On my phone, tough to search FTE but I will in the morning if no one else adds a link.

Bruce

bkuuz1 05-14-2018 11:22 PM

Thanks Bruce!
I was not aware of the issue at altitude. This is the first time I've had this issue come up.

For tonight we landed in a post office parking lot. Hope nobody gets mad and well, if they do, it's how it goes. This is the better choice then being stuck in the middle of the road in the middle of the night.

Hopefully that's it.

senix 05-15-2018 05:14 AM

Drive it without the trailer before starting off so it can regen. See what the soot level is.

I think it is a software issue. I drive up the passes in Colorado and don't get that. But mine is a 2013 so it sounds like a software glitch.

How is your consumption of DEF?

HRTKD 05-15-2018 07:48 AM

Is it possible that some of these trucks simply need to be driven HARD to really clean things out in the exhaust system? I know it's not an equivalent comparison but a friend of mine had an older model British sports car. About once a year he had to really open it up and it would magically run better after that.

bkuuz1 05-15-2018 07:50 AM

Thanks Senix,
I'm going to move out of the post office parking lot and hopefully I can find a better place to drop the trailer and see if I can get the truck to regen and clear up. I've dragged this trailer to Glacier NP and back, through the mountains up I70 to Grand Junction and to San Antonio TX. and have never run into this issue before. After reading a few posts last night, it seems like it's an issue with with the 2015 and 2016 trucks. Seems like this is happening when it needs to regen when you're at a point on the road and you have to take it slow because of the altitude and terrain. I will update how it all goes. Hoping we can still make Mesa Verde for our short trip.

my_crib_too 05-15-2018 08:02 AM

Link to past thread. TSB noted on last page, this is a very known issue. I would just continue to drive it.

Bruce....

WhëëlMå1 05-15-2018 08:35 AM

I've been told to expect to fork out the big money to change out the DPF at about 70k miles (and I did). Local dealer wanted $4k for the filter, without installation. I found it at an online Ford dealer for about $3k (St. Louis based, if memory serves).

senix 05-15-2018 06:16 PM

DPF's should last much longer. I had 86K on my 08 (1st generation with the DPF) and it was fine when I sold the truck.

The Bone 05-16-2018 07:34 AM

I have a 15 and been across the country twice pulling my 5th wheel and never had a problem like this. I have about 51,000 mile so far. I have been over almost every mountain pass through the northern southern and middle of the country without my filter getting plugged. Hope the filter cleans itself.

ssunit1 05-16-2018 12:11 PM

I just turned 85K miles on my 2015 6.7. Its my daily driver so 70 miles each day of rush hour traffic and 11K miles of pulling my 5er on Florida flatlands. No issues with the DPF so far but I am looking forward to hitting 100k and I'll delete the the whole mess.