Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   What are some good headlights with HID conversions? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1539743-what-are-some-good-headlights-with-hid-conversions.html)

L-ight 05-10-2018 09:23 AM

What are some good headlights with HID conversions?

Looking to upgrade my lights to HID, but want to make sure the headlights are made for HIDS. I don't want to put HID in factory headlights and blind people cause the spread of the HID is horrible. Any ideas? Preferably smoked headlights as I like the white/black look.

Bonanza35 05-10-2018 02:39 PM

You you find some post up please.

L-ight 05-10-2018 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bonanza35 (Post 17976421)
You you find some post up please.

I can do that.

beef tits 05-10-2018 04:13 PM

I doubt they exist. HID housings should have an auto leveling feature so that you don't blind other drivers, watch the headlights closely on any car that has them stock... they move up and down to stay level as road grades change.

Just getting new factory housings and bulbs on mine made a world of difference, buffing the lens helps but not as much as new housings. I also run some big KC spot lights for when there is no traffic coming at me and for off-road. I can see out about a 1/4 mile with those badboys.

L-ight 05-10-2018 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by beef tits (Post 17976546)
I doubt they exist. HID housings should have an auto leveling feature so that you don't blind other drivers, watch the headlights closely on any car that has them stock... they move up and down to stay level as road grades change.

Just getting new factory housings and bulbs on mine made a world of difference, buffing the lens helps but not as much as new housings. I also run some big KC spot lights for when there is no traffic coming at me and for off-road. I can see out about a 1/4 mile with those badboys.

Actually that's not true. I owned a C6 Z06 corvette and they come with HIDs. The housing never moved up and down You're thinking of the luxury BMWs Audis, etc that have that technology. As long as the housing is made for HIDs it'll be fine. If I put an HID kit in my headlights now it would be so spread out it would blind people.

I actually bought new aftermarket headlight that look better than stock, but now I'm wanting to go with a hid type housing/headlight. Can you link me to what you purchased please?

Sous 05-10-2018 06:15 PM

I have a 2008 Subaru with HID's and they do NOT adjust.

There are so retro fit kits that have been tried in the past. Some were good, others were crap. I cannot remember for sure but the good kits might have been Morimoto or something like that. The search function will probably bring up a lot of results, but that is because this has been discussed many times.

beef tits 05-10-2018 10:26 PM

I got stock replacement housings from Rock Auto, they were like $18 each with bulbs.

That is surprising, my 2004 Subaru definitely had HIDs that adjusted. I believe my CR-Z did too as did my old Lexus definitely did. Maybe the tech has changed since the early 2000s?

aawlberninf350 05-12-2018 12:07 AM

It's simple to adjust the existing or any OE replacement headlight buckets. Shine lights on a wall or garage door, mark top light cutoff on wall with masking tape. Install HIDs and adjust as necessary to match light pattern to the tape.

HID bulbs rarely emit light from exactly the same point as the stock halogens, so the reflection geometry made by the headlight bucket tends to scatter. It's not a big deal. Generally a slight adjustment down is all you need.

Bigger concern is if your truck has a chip the RF from the HIDs may interfere and cause the truck to stall when the lights are turned on. This is disconcerting at 70mph on a dark road. on the chip wire can fix that.

Benjaminesh 05-12-2018 03:31 PM

Here ya go guys, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eadlights.html

Silverhks 05-23-2018 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sous (Post 17976735)
I have a 2008 Subaru with HID's and they do NOT adjust.

There are so retro fit kits that have been tried in the past. Some were good, others were crap. I cannot remember for sure but the good kits might have been Morimoto or something like that. The search function will probably bring up a lot of results, but that is because this has been discussed many times.

Most Subarus with HIDs do actually adjust, just not automatically. There should be a 5-6 position dial left of the wheel.

Sous 05-24-2018 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Silverhks (Post 17999555)
Most Subarus with HIDs do actually adjust, just not automatically. There should be a 5-6 position dial left of the wheel.

This is correct, but what was being referred to was auto adjusting. The HID lights on my Subaru DO NOT auto adjust. I did own a 2004 Audi S4 that the HID lights did auto adjust on.

Whitey Ford 05-24-2018 08:35 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...bf5ec22cdd.png

Originally Posted by L-ight (Post 17975824)
Looking to upgrade my lights to HID, but want to make sure the headlights are made for HIDS. Any ideas? Preferably smoked headlights as I like the white/black look.

Research (search) this forum on headlights. LED’s are the BEST. The industry is constantly upgrading, so some of these threads are older and bulbs have improved. We like the look of white on smoke black as well.

We like to think the light at the end of the tunnel, is just a 7.3 heading your way!

Good Luck!

L-ight 05-24-2018 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Whitey Ford (Post 18000348)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...bf5ec22cdd.png

Research (search) this forum on headlights. LED’s are the BEST. The industry is constantly upgrading, so some of these threads are older and bulbs have improved. We like the look of white on smoke black as well.

We like to think the light at the end of the tunnel, is a 7.3 heading your way!

Good Luck!

Man you can't just post a picture and not tell me those type of headlights lol.

Whitey Ford 05-24-2018 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by L-ight (Post 18000412)
Man you can't just post a picture and not tell me those type of headlights lol.

We built those from scratch, and added projector lenses. We plan to build the LED version next.

L-ight 05-24-2018 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Whitey Ford (Post 18000507)

We built those from scratch, and added projector lenses. We plan to build the LED version next.

Care to market some out to the board peeps? I just got some LED bulbs ordered and will be here tom. From reading these are 05 style lenses correct? If so that means I would have to cut some of the housing, yea?