Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   66 f-250 Rusted out bed (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1539621-66-f-250-rusted-out-bed.html)

Rick Bensco 05-09-2018 12:55 PM

66 f-250 Rusted out bed

Is there a place to get a new bed? Do I have to take the whole thing off to replace just the bed? The sides and tail gate look ok but where the bed meets the front it is rotted out to where you can see the road. Any idea of the cost?
Thanks for any input.

Crop Duster 05-09-2018 02:26 PM

I you want a Flareside you can pretty much buy a new one. Styleside not so much, nothing but a tailgate as far as I know. But in the part of the country you're in I would think you could find a complete rust free bed. Do an advanced search, there have been a lot of threads on bed repair. I just took my bed to the sandblaster today it has similar rust as yours. I figure after I make a new front cross sill and a repair panel for the front of the bed and replace the floor and paint it. I will be close to $1500 in it plus a lot of labor.

Thipdar 05-09-2018 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rick Bensco (Post 17974011)
Is there a place to get a new bed? Do I have to take the whole thing off to replace just the bed? The sides and tail gate look ok but where the bed meets the front it is rotted out to where you can see the road. Any idea of the cost?
Thanks for any input.

IIRC, the bed will need to come off for repairs, since the floor of the bed bolts to the frame.

Sounds like you may want to place it upside down on some sawhorses.

I haven't been there in a long time, but I used to get reasonably good stuff from Dorris, in Hayward. They pulled the top of a cab for me about 20 years ago.

ibuzzard 05-09-2018 04:25 PM

There is a 66 F250 at Pik N Pull in Moss Landing.

Rick Bensco 05-09-2018 11:58 PM

I would like a trip to Moss Landing. Sounds like a trip for me!

Rick Bensco 05-10-2018 12:43 AM

Thanks again! I'll refine the search too and see what I'm getting into. There is a ton of stuff to do on this old truck

daveengelson 05-10-2018 11:01 AM

Pic and pull offer's a website where salvage shopper can enter the make-model-year of vehicle and get results; provides list which yards have the particular vehicle available, location on the yard, and date vehicle was planted, etc. Suggest focus on when the vehicle was placed in the yard, I have traveled quite a distance only to find the truck had been picked to the bone. There's also a source where one can hire a person who trolls the salvage yard and will remove items of interest for a fee.
Pick-n-Pull » Check Inventory

Rick Bensco 05-10-2018 12:55 PM

Wow thanks! I have a lot to learn in this restoration field. I hope my bank account can hold up after looking at some of these prices for new stuff. Pick and pull here we come.

Crop Duster 05-10-2018 02:24 PM

Another good place to search is Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
If you set the search box for distance you might find something close. Since this is a search of salvage yards they don't always list every part they might have so you may have to get creative and search for different parts until you find someone has a 64 to 66 F100/250. Then give them a call.

NumberDummy 05-11-2018 12:12 PM

Styleside bed is the same: 1964/66 F100/250 2WD; 1966 F100 4WD

VTrob66 05-11-2018 04:36 PM

You can also check out www.flashbackF100's.com talk to Tom or his wife. They're very knowledgeable and have many used parts for sale. It might be a drive for you as they're in North Carolina but I've heard from one guy I met in Arizona that he delivered a part to him on one of his truck finding trips across the country. They are good people to deal with.
Good luck!

1966 F100 styleside