Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   fuel pump opinions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1536386-fuel-pump-opinions.html)

gfl 04-15-2018 12:32 PM

fuel pump opinions

My truck wouldn't start to come home after driving it out in the country to let the dog run, didn't hear the fuel pump prime ( i know this sound because i usually wait for that to start it).

Got a ride home and intended to tow it home the following day, fortunately when we went out to get it, the fuel pump primed and it started up, drove it home. :)

From what I've read, this is likely a sign the fuel pump is going out, never has done this before, and for what I do with it, I really don't want it to happen again. (pulling the camper etc)

Since I can arrange to have that changed more on my own terms, is there any consensus as to which replacement pump is best? This is a non california SC.

Part numbers would be great!

mkbuth 04-15-2018 03:11 PM

I had to replace my fuel pump on my 2000 f350 V10. I went with the Motorcraft. A little more expensive, but I have confidence in the quality and reliability.

Tom 04-15-2018 03:20 PM

There are a lot of jobs I'm willing to do again, such as an ignition coil. I have no qualms about using a cheap coil because it's a 3-minute fix if I have to replace it again.

A fuel pump isn't that way in my opinion, I think dropping the tank is a pain in the neck. I'd spring for an OEM Motorcraft fuel pump for this one, unless pulling the fuel tank is your idea of a good time. I made the same choice a few years ago on my Excursion and was glad I did.

maticuno 04-15-2018 05:27 PM

Motorcraft , followed by any of the name brand companies that supply parts to OEM such as Delphi, Bosch, ACDelco, etc.

WE3ZS 04-15-2018 05:42 PM

Just to add to the pile already here, I went with the OEM Motrocraft fuel pump on my EX when the original died.

gfl 04-15-2018 06:52 PM

At first I had thought i should try a different brand but i suppose 16 years is probably a good lifespan. I believe I'll order the Motorcraft.
I am going to pay someone to do this for me, I'd do it if I had to, but like was mentioned I can see dropping the tank is a pain, and I really don't want to.

Tom 04-15-2018 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by gfl (Post 17928180)
I am going to pay someone to do this for me, I'd do it if I had to, but like was mentioned I can see dropping the tank is a pain, and I really don't want to.

Yeah, it's a pain, but it's not awful. I've done two of them over the years and would do it again if I have another...I just wouldn't want to do it twice on the same vehicle to save a few bucks on the part.

Warren89 04-15-2018 07:09 PM

I just had mine replaced, I didn't do it because I everytime I try to replace one, I break more parts! I paid a shop to do it. I saved a little money because he cut through the bed rather then drop the tank. It didn't matter to me because the bed was coming off anyway. Anyway, I agree with the above posters. Most of these superdutys don't just drive for many miles, they idle for long periods as well and motorcraft builds fuel pumps that last. Delphi is good as well.

gfl 04-15-2018 09:09 PM

It looks like PFS389 is the Motorcraft part I'll need, any idea if this comes with a new strainer? didn't see one in the pictures, just want to make sure I have all the parts gathered

Warren89 04-15-2018 09:17 PM

Most fuel pumps I have seen have a non-removable screen attached. I can't say for sure.

mkbuth 04-16-2018 06:20 AM

Another note on this topic is that Rock Auto saved me over $100 on the Motorcraft pump, when compared to the normal auto parts stores.

gfl 04-16-2018 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Warren89 (Post 17928512)
Most fuel pumps I have seen have a non-removable screen attached. I can't say for sure.

Somehow I had the idea there was a bag type pre filter on the end of the pickup hose, but i could be wrong..

Warren89 04-16-2018 02:05 PM

It is a bag looking thing. I just don't think it can be replaced. Have you tried testing the fuel pressure on the rail? That's how I determined mine was faulty. If it's really bad, you can do it at an idle or just by giving it a little gas while sitting still. I have had fuel pumps That won't show signs until they are "under load" though. I think it's 40lbs at idle.

hermancm 04-16-2018 08:53 PM

$237 shipped is best price I could find for a Motorcraft PFS-389

Warren89 04-17-2018 06:50 AM

Mine cost $200 and that was my mechanics cost. Sounds like a good deal to me. I can see if my receipt says what the manufacturer is.