Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   exhaust brake (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1535740-exhaust-brake.html)

17f2fiddy 04-10-2018 06:48 PM

exhaust brake

17 f250, i realize it has an "on and auto mode" for the exhaust brake, is there any harm running the exhaust brake all the time loaded/unloaded? this is my daily driver. iv been running in auto pretty much all the time since i got this truck a few weeks ago, not sure if there is any harm to the engine or transmission long term? i am used to driving my work truck (98 peterbilt) which is totally a different engine braking system, i also understand that its done thru the vgt on the this truck and most of the new diesel pickups

69cj 04-10-2018 06:51 PM

When pulling heavy in the mountains I set the cc when on level ground and then set the engine braking while in tow haul. The system works flawlessly.

Just Strokin 04-10-2018 07:19 PM

There have been a few report they got the Turbo Overboost DTC when running the EB on at all times.

Tom N OH 04-10-2018 09:03 PM

No harm in using the engine brake 99% of the time, but just like in your Pete, don't use it in times of low traction (snow, ice, etc). The "on" setting is the more aggressive of the 2 settings.

dirthawg 04-11-2018 04:39 PM

Did they change the exhaust brake in the 17's? My 16 is either off or on no auto setting.

69cj 04-11-2018 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by dirthawg (Post 17920249)
Did they change the exhaust brake in the 17's? My 16 is either off or on no auto setting.

15’s and 16’s have a button to turn on.

17f2fiddy 04-11-2018 08:36 PM

i have a button and it goes to manual on all the time then an auto setting then off on my 17

HRTKD 04-11-2018 09:07 PM

The 2017+ has the Exhaust Brake button that is (M)anual (one press), (A)utomatic (one more press), and off (a third press). Automatic does just what it say, it takes care of things automatically, including changing gears. Manual requires you to shift the gears manually with the switch on the gearshift lever or by shifting to 2/1. My experience with the M setting is that if you don't change gears manually then the turbo won't engage.

I mostly use the automatic setting with tow/haul also engaged. There have been only a couple of times where I needed to take over and use the manual mode.

nuctrooper 04-12-2018 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by HRTKD (Post 17920727)
The 2017+ has the Exhaust Brake button that is (M)anual (one press), (A)utomatic (one more press), and off (a third press). Automatic does just what it say, it takes care of things automatically, including changing gears. Manual requires you to shift the gears manually with the switch on the gearshift lever or by shifting to 2/1. My experience with the M setting is that if you don't change gears manually then the turbo won't engage.

I mostly use the automatic setting with tow/haul also engaged. There have been only a couple of times where I needed to take over and use the manual mode.

I'd tweak that description a bit.
In Auto EB mode, the truck will use the EB and shift (if needed) to either a) maintain your cruise control speed) or b) maintain the speed the truck was at when you let off the throttle (or let off the brake). I've found that with cruise control, it maintains pretty close to the exact speed. If you just let off the throttle (no CC) while going down a hill, the truck will gain a few (about 3) mph before the Auto exh brake kicks in to maintain speed. Once vehicle slows to its previous speed, the EB will ease up and let you coast, and regulate to maintain that speed.
In manual, the EB will engage when you touch the brakes and establish maximum braking pressure (for the given engine RPM) until you get back on the throttle or stop. The truck will downshift naturally as you slow (EB gives a stronger kick each time) until you stop. In T/H mode, the truck more aggressively downshifts, thus the EB is a little more aggressive. (or, shift manually to bump up RPM)
No issue with running the EB all the time. I prefer Auto as it maintains the speed I tell it to. In manual, you sometimes have to end up adding throttle going downhill to keep from getting too slow, then add brake to slow back down.

HRTKD 04-12-2018 12:46 PM

My experience with the Manual mode is that unless I manually changed gears there wasn't a blip out of the turbo gauge. If I hit the top of the hill at 45 and just let off the accelerator (in D) the truck would speed up and the turbo gauge showed no activity. Once I manually downshifted the turbo gauge would show activity. Obviously, by gearing down the engine RPM went up. The cause and effect could be argued. My point is that it doesn't appear to me that the turbo is doing anything unless I manually change gears when the exhaust brake is in Manual mode. So I stand by my descriptions.

One issue I have with the whole process is when I get to the bottom of the hill. The system doesn't seem to want to come out of the lower gear without a fight. If I accelerate a bit it just brings up the RPM of the engine but the transmission stays in the same gear. I have to turn everything off (tow/haul and the exhaust brake) to get it to come up a gear. In my opinion, if the accelerator is being pressed then the system needs to release.

nuctrooper 04-12-2018 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by HRTKD (Post 17922039)
My experience with the Manual mode is that unless I manually changed gears there wasn't a blip out of the turbo gauge. If I hit the top of the hill at 45 and just let off the accelerator (in D) the truck would speed up and the turbo gauge showed no activity. Once I manually downshifted the turbo gauge would show activity. Obviously, by gearing down the engine RPM went up. The cause and effect could be argued. My point is that it doesn't appear to me that the turbo is doing anything unless I manually change gears when the exhaust brake is in Manual mode. So I stand by my descriptions..

I agree 100% with your description. In manual mode, you crest a hill, let off, and the truck will accelerate (gravity) while off the throttle. Boost (and load) will show 0%. If you press the brake pedal for a second, though, the EB will kick on in full (for the gear you're in). Or, manually downshift activates it was well. Then, it stays engaged until stopped or back on the throttle.
I agree with your discussion of getting back on the throttle. Sometimes the truck makes you go to 3500+ rpm back on the throttle to shift down to the next gear. Weird looks from the wife when you wind it up that far in first gear...

HRTKD 04-12-2018 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by nuctrooper (Post 17922068)
I agree with your discussion of getting back on the throttle. Sometimes the truck makes you go to 3500+ rpm back on the throttle to shift down to the next gear. Weird looks from the wife when you wind it up that far in first gear...

Thanks for the confirmation that's it not just me (or my truck). It sounds like they could tweak the programming a bit to make it work better.

Rick Cargo 04-14-2018 02:07 PM

Must be nice to have an on/off button for the exhaust brake. On my 2011 you usually have to hit the brakes twice to set the exhaust brake.

lynnmor 04-15-2018 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rick Cargo (Post 17926053)
Must be nice to have an on/off button for the exhaust brake. On my 2011 you usually have to hit the brakes twice to set the exhaust brake.

You need to apply the brakes enough to slightly reduce speed. The number of applications is not the deciding factor.

2017F250131 04-19-2018 03:54 PM

My 17 F250 exhaust brake is no where as good as my 2012 rams...Imho fords is a joke