Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Crossovers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum219/)
-   -   2018 US market EcoSport external spare carrier question. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1535306-2018-us-market-ecosport-external-spare-carrier-question.html)

Michael Mosbey 04-07-2018 01:14 PM

2018 US market EcoSport external spare carrier question.

Hi there. First post here. Searching the forums had me thinking this would be the logical forum of choice as EcoSports start to roll out in the USA, and without an EcoSport specific subforum, I went with Crossovers. I hope this is correct.

Looking at the EcoSport, it seems you can't get the external spare carrier on the higher trims. You can't get the Android Auto/Carplay on the low trims. Anyone know, or know where I could find out for myself, what would be involved in retrofitting one of those things to my EcoSport? Ideally, I'd want to get the good head unit into the base model to completely avoid leather, but I'm guessing adding the tire carrier is easier to add.

Thanks in advance.

6door74 10-18-2018 11:52 PM

Sorry i can't answer your question but what did you end up doing? I would want a rear tire carrier but i don't want the S model. I'm considering getting one for my wife. Any input you can offer on it?

Thanks

Michael Mosbey 11-14-2018 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by 6door74 (Post 18258043)
Sorry i can't answer your question but what did you end up doing? I would want a rear tire carrier but i don't want the S model. I'm considering getting one for my wife. Any input you can offer on it?

Thanks

I ended up not buying anything. I've started seeing them in the wild. I suspect they're not selling that well. A few reviews I've seen have mentioned this oddity of specification - maybe Ford will get it and shuffle the equipment list for 2019.

Michael Mosbey 11-14-2018 06:50 AM

Also, I remember spending time in Ford's parts site before giving up. I'm not certain, but it looked to me like the camera module was the same, and googling the part number came back with a bunch of FoMoCo applications. Other markets get both the big screen and the carrier, but radios have to be localized with language and frequencies. While I'm not certain, I don't think there is an electronic reason the rear carrier mounted camera can't talk to the big head unit.

Michael Mosbey 11-14-2018 06:54 AM

One last thing on the carrier and cameras. The carrier camera mount shoots between spokes in the wheel. Just looking at the wheel choices, they all look like they'd work, but you should be aware of possible compatibility issues with spoke size and spacing if you try to swap parts between trims.

​​​​​

6door74 11-14-2018 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Mosbey (Post 18305242)
I ended up not buying anything. I've started seeing them in the wild. I suspect they're not selling that well. A few reviews I've seen have mentioned this oddity of specification - maybe Ford will get it and shuffle the equipment list for 2019.

We didn't end up buying one but I'm starting to see a lot of them out and about. It wasn't bad but it was smaller than we wanted in the end.

guyina4x4 03-10-2019 09:34 AM

I just bought one yesterday S 4wd
it is small but I love it

I was disapointed with the lack of tech available on the S but it'll have to do