Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Rebuild an F4 in 60 Days (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1534251-rebuild-an-f4-in-60-days.html)

acl9865 03-30-2018 09:49 AM

Rebuild an F4 in 60 Days

Carryover from my F4 build log which for the past 3 days now I've been unable to add to as it just times out..

So anyways I've made the decision to have the whole truck done by June 1. 63 days from today but I'll be out in Joshua Tree + Easter so lets say 60 days flat.

First picture is where I started when it moved into my garage, second picture is where I'm at today.

Front axle removed and prepping for paint.
New main leaves coming from Eaton Detroit Springs.
Front half of frame POR15'd, second half shortly.
New clutch and conrod bearing coming, as well as transmission gasket set.
High build primer, platinum body filler, and 50 lb of sand paper inbound.
Paint ordered.
Paint booth reserved.
New tires ordered.
Last 2 wheels dropped out for sandblasting and powdercoating.
New glass all around in the mail.
New bench seat kit ordered.
New grille ordered.
New lower grill valance ordered.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...126da34aa.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...85ca92b9bb.jpg

tip49 03-30-2018 10:23 AM

Ambitious schedule

Remember to breathe. That will be like one of those TV shows; are Foose and his boys waiting in the wings? :-missingt

The frame is looking shiny! Love that POR.

Good luck with your project, and make lots of coffee. :-X22

acl9865 03-30-2018 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by tip49 (Post 17895021)
Remember to breathe. That will be like one of those TV shows; are Foose and his boys waiting in the wings? :-missingt

The frame is looking shiny! Love that POR.

Good luck with your project, and make lots of coffee. :-X22

Luckily I have the Amazon Red Bull button for quick ordering haha. I wish Foose was nearby, just my puppies and I and the occasional garage visit from my girlfriend.

I'm cheating slightly and taking 4 weeks off of work too.

Jolly Roger Joe 03-30-2018 01:28 PM

I want to watch this. I didn't do nearly what you have planned to my F4, and it took me 5 1/2 years.

Good luck.

Aloha-boy 03-30-2018 03:33 PM

I'm definitely pulling for you! Wish I could lend a hand. Good luck!

acl9865 03-31-2018 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe (Post 17895355)
I want to watch this. I didn't do nearly what you have planned to my F4, and it took me 5 1/2 years.

Good luck.

Thanks, 62 days to go and I'm still buying parts.

Originally Posted by Aloha-boy (Post 17895593)
I'm definitely pulling for you! Wish I could lend a hand. Good luck!

Stop on by! Beers for everyone.

Marauder2004 03-31-2018 08:58 PM

Hat's off to you!

acl9865 04-05-2018 09:17 AM

Update: 57 Days Remaining

All I've managed to do is prime the fenders. Have some major work deadlines to hit and free time has been at an all time low.

On the upside my last bearing, motor mounts, more POR 15, new 10" clutch, transmission gasket set, and new throwout bearing are here now too. Goal for this weekend is to finish the motor and transmission and drop them in.

Pending the workload of course..

Alex

FortyNiner 04-05-2018 01:18 PM

As you are racing toward your goal, you may want to ensure you've got all the replacement rubber items that will be needed. Since you are painting, I'll assume that you'll need weatherstripping for the doors, bumpers/seals for the pedals, a shifter boot, .....and so it goes. Often, these items just need to be on hand for the reassembly to not get delayed. Going back to install after the right time window wouldn't seem to be in your project schedule.

Dennis Carpenter is a solid source with Steele Rubber the gold standard. IMHO

What are you doing for wiring?

acl9865 04-05-2018 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by FortyNiner (Post 17907629)
As you are racing toward your goal, you may want to ensure you've got all the replacement rubber items that will be needed. Since you are painting, I'll assume that you'll need weatherstripping for the doors, bumpers/seals for the pedals, a shifter boot, .....and so it goes. Often, these items just need to be on hand for the reassembly to not get delayed. Going back to install after the right time window wouldn't seem to be in your project schedule.

Dennis Carpenter is a solid source with Steele Rubber the gold standard. IMHO

What are you doing for wiring?

Thanks for pointing that out. Ya I have a spreadsheet I made on day one, a comprehensive BOM to completion. I have suppliers locked down for all my rubber items and I'll probably order them the week before I go into paint.

I think DC was actually my chosen supplier for rubber but I'll double check. Thanks for the recommendation.

Doing all my own wiring from scratch.

abe 04-05-2018 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by acl9865 (Post 17907638)
Thanks for pointing that out. Ya I have a spreadsheet I made on day one, a comprehensive BOM to completion. I have suppliers locked down for all my rubber items and I'll probably order them the week before I go into paint.

I think DC was actually my chosen supplier for rubber but I'll double check. Thanks for the recommendation.

Doing all my own wiring from scratch.

Buying a ready made harness would save you time.

acl9865 04-05-2018 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by abe (Post 17907659)
Buying a ready made harness would save you time.

Ya I'm sure, but wiring is one of my favorite parts. Maybe it's the engineer in me. I've already ordered all my wiring, loom, and breaker boxes. Already printed all the grommets and conduits I'll need as well.

abe 04-05-2018 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by acl9865 (Post 17907663)
Ya I'm sure, but wiring is one of my favorite parts. Maybe it's the engineer in me. I've already ordered all my wiring, loom, and breaker boxes. Already printed all the grommets and conduits I'll need as well.

Good for you! Wiring is some guys least favorite thing to do. You'll save money this way.

acl9865 04-07-2018 07:50 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...ed263bd673.jpg

How much of a tight spot am I in?

Also, how much rotational play should the gear stick have? I can rotate the level between 6 and 7 oclock freely before it reaches the end of its travel. Is that normal?

Jolly Roger Joe 04-07-2018 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by acl9865 (Post 17912061)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...ed263bd673.jpg

How much of a tight spot am I in?

Also, how much rotational play should the gear stick have? I can rotate the level between 6 and 7 oclock freely before it reaches the end of its travel. Is that normal?

Well, that's not good. IIRC that is cast iron. I know cast iron can be MIG welded, but the bearing retainer is critical for the correct alignment of the trans to the drive shaft. Is it just the angle of the pic, or is that bearing shot?