Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   Need some help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1534014-need-some-help.html)

thebigtruck 03-28-2018 02:05 PM

Need some help

I've found a 61 F350 dually flatbed sitting in a guy's yard down the road. I talked to him on the phone today and it's a 292 Y-block. I'm going to look at it closeup tomorrow. The help I need is what's a value on this thing? He said to make him an offer, and I didn't want to offend the old guy by throwing out $500 since I don't know anything about it. He says the engine is free and not locked up, and that it needs a windshield. I'm not sure what kind of rust I'll find, but all things considered from a 55/50 appraisal (55 mph 50 feet off the road) it looks like it's in fairly decent shape. Sorry for the lack of info, what I've said is about all I know. I've been seeing this thing sitting for the past few years and just have gotten the gumption to call him up about it. Any things I need to look out for would also be appreciated. Thanks!

willowbilly3 03-28-2018 04:14 PM

It's his and he should price it. "Make an offer" means he is in some lala land that you will offer a huge price. I guarantee he has some idea what he'd like to get.

NumberDummy 03-28-2018 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by thebigtruck (Post 17891261)
I've found a 61 F350 dually (DRW) flatbed sitting in a guy's yard down the road. I talked to him on the phone today and it's a 292 Y-block. I'm going to look at it closeup tomorrow. The help I need is what's a value on this thing? He said to make him an offer, and I didn't want to offend the old guy by throwing out $500 since I don't know anything about it. He says the engine is free and not locked up, and that it needs a windshield. I'm not sure what kind of rust I'll find, but all things considered from a 55/50 appraisal (55 mph 50 feet off the road) it looks like it's in fairly decent shape. Sorry for the lack of info, what I've said is about all I know. I've been seeing this thing sitting for the past few years and just have gotten the gumption to call him up about it. Any things I need to look out for would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Is there a specific reason why you'd want an '61 F350 (one ton truck) with DRW? Personally I wouldn't pay one cent for it and here's why.

All 1953/66 F350's have a solid front axle with leaf spring front suspension, so they ride and steer like oxcarts. No P/S or power disc brakes were available.

These trucks also have 6 lug wheels on a 7.25" bolt circle and most of the wheels are split rim "widow makers" so most tire shops won't touch them.

1980 was the first year that F350's with DRW were available with a pickup bed (Styleside only). 1953/79 F350's with DRW were only available as a Cab & Chassis, or with factory installed flat and stake beds.

If you want to swap in P/S and/or power disc brakes, no parts from any other year Ford truck can be used, so you have to buy expensive aftermarket kits. Swapping engines is another PITA

1979 was the first year that F350's were available with 4WD, all 1953/78 F350's were only available as 2WD .. If a 1953/78 F350 has 4WD, it's an aftermarket conversion.

However, if you buy a 1965/66 F100 2WD, you can swap in P/S and power disc brakes from 1973/79 F100/150 2WD's. Swapping these parts and engines is basically a bolt on operation.

These trucks have Twin-I-Beam front suspension with coil springs, so they ride and steer a lot smoother than any 1953/66 F350.

There's something else to consider, how tall and heavy are you? 1961/66 cabs are tight for 6+ footers, the steering wheel is very close to the chest.

thebigtruck 03-28-2018 06:17 PM

Thanks for the thoughts. I agree that he’s probably got a price in his head but I’m not sure it’ll match up with my pocket.

Numberdummy - thanks for the blunt honesty. I knew some of that info about issues but it was so far back in my gourd that it got displaced by initial excitement (my wife actually helped me find out who the old guy is, so that’s pretty much a seal of approval right? :D ). Your point about the steering wheel has me concerned as I’m not the smallest guy. I’ll still go look at it and if I can get it for $500 it’ll be fine for a farm/hunting truck just to beat on. If not, I’ll keep hunting and hopefully roll this seal of approval into an F100 that I can turn into a daily driver and keep miles off my 17 F350.

1960fordf350 04-06-2018 12:39 PM

Any progress about the 350?

thebigtruck 04-09-2018 07:20 AM

No, nothing going on with it. I looked at it, but ended up deciding to wait a bit for something else. There was more rust in the cab than I wanted to tackle.