Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   would you by a 6.7 with 170k ? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1533498-would-you-by-a-6-7-with-170k.html)

samsdad02 03-24-2018 07:55 AM

would you by a 6.7 with 170k ?

Hi all

Had a 6.0 powerstroke for a while, currently have a 6.0 other brand now and am not satisfied with it.

Looking at a 2014 f350 Lariat with 170k on it asking $33k . Never plowed and doesn't look like it's ever been worked hard and a one owner.

Are there any issues to worry about with the miles on it like on the old 6.0? I will be plowing and towing a camper with it and need it to be reliable.

hondapro 03-24-2018 08:18 AM

Imo the price seems high,also a truck with that many miles will start to need other repairs as well.
If the owner can provide records of all service being done and you can get the price down.( maybe) consider it.
Myself I would keep looking.

samsdad02 03-24-2018 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by hondapro (Post 17882872)
Imo the price seems high,also a truck with that many miles will start to need other repairs as well.
If the owner can provide records of all service being done and you can get the price down.( maybe) consider it.
Myself I would keep looking.

Thanks for responding.
The price is too high. I wouldn't pay more than $28ish. I expect the usual brakes, unit bearings, ujoints etc.

Are there high mile wear items like my old 6.0's injector oring or hpop type issues?

tmacc 03-24-2018 09:09 AM

FWIW, we bought a '15 350 6.7 CCLB XLT w/ 39K miles for $38,700 last July. It took me 2 months to find something in our budget range which was $40K max. There are a lot of trucks out west that came out of the canadian oil fields that I was warned were probably beat pretty bad. Carfax reports will tell you where they were originally registered. Good luck!

One of our neighbors bought '15 F350 6.7 SCLB Lariat w/ 89K miles for about $32000 last Spring.

170k is more miles than I want to pay for. IMO

senix 03-25-2018 06:40 AM

It will need, if it has not been completed, New serpentine belt, differential gear lube changes, transfer case and trans changes.

New oil and fuel filter changes. If the owner is not using oem filters, pass on the truck.

Records are important.

If the owner would let you tow with it, then I'd hook up to the heaviest item you have and run it hard up the steepest hill you have. That should tell you sometime.

Scan it for codes as well.

GregWork 03-25-2018 06:55 AM

I bought mine with 275K on it...

Check engine hours and idle hours. Should be less than 6800 hours with about 15% idle time to be 'normal'. (the lower the better on both) [1 engine hr is equiv to 25 miles driven]

Maint records are key, one owner is good: ask him to see the records.

Overall wear patterns are also indicative of use vs. abuse. Worn steering wheel or very worn seats will indicate hard use. Check for oil and coolant leaks (primary rad, water pump, turbo coolant lines, etc)

So, if it looks clean inside, the bottom is dry, you don't smell coolant after driving it, it has like 4,000-5,000 hours with 500 idle, and he can show a pattern of good maintenance, then I wouldn't be afraid of it.

Painted Horse 03-25-2018 08:32 AM

I sold my 2011 F350 Lariat in March 2015 for $26,000 with 150,000 miles on it. It had no major problems, But did need the occasional maintenance repairs. Brakes, Batteries, Front Bearings etc. But I still considered the truck very reliable. We are seeing lots of these engines with 300,000 miles on them. So I would not be afraid of the truck lasting, But just your willingness to deal with the little issues that come with age.

UGA33 03-25-2018 11:10 AM

Yes. If the truck appears to have been cared for, I would. 6.7s have a very good track record for reliability as the miles increase.

I have run this scenario through my head a couple times if the need of buying a higher mileage 6.7 arose and the things I would do to prevent a possible nightmare secenario. I'm mechanically inclined, so I would delete the truck and replace the high pressure fuel pump and call it a day. In the grand scheme of things, a HPFP is cheap when you consider its importance and complexity.

samsdad02 03-25-2018 11:32 AM

Thanks for the opinions and info. Still on the fence and looking at other trucks

samsdad02 03-26-2018 04:36 PM

Went and drove the truck today.

For the miles, it was mint. Looks like nobdy ever sat in the back seat. Ran and drove fine altough it does need a def heater which he would replace.

the only flaw I found was a couple of paint runs on the bed fender wheel. Couldn[t see any evidence of body work. He didn't seem like he was going to move much on the price.

I am pretty sure I'm going to pass on it. for a $100 more a month I can get something with 100k miles less.

Thanks for the input!

wrvond 03-27-2018 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by samsdad02 (Post 17882850)
Hi all

Had a 6.0 powerstroke for a while, currently have a 6.0 other brand now and am not satisfied with it.

Looking at a 2014 f350 Lariat with 170k on it asking $33k . Never plowed and doesn't look like it's ever been worked hard and a one owner.

Are there any issues to worry about with the miles on it like on the old 6.0? I will be plowing and towing a camper with it and need it to be reliable.

I understand what you are asking, and no, I wouldn't buy one. In fact, this is precisely why I bought new. The 6.7 is a fantastic engine, but it is also very sensitive to maintenance (or lack thereof). Failure to change the fuel filters can result in water contamination, which will lead to high pressure fuel pump failure. Without service records you have no idea how this truck might have been neglected.

jimmystoys 03-30-2018 12:55 PM

Hey samsdad02. I agree with the other guys on here too. If maintained regularly it will last well. Unlike the 6.0L I also had. By the time I had 200K miles on it even with regular maintenance I spent thousands on it till it finally became reliable. With the 6.7L is like nite and day, very reliable! Haven't even had a wheel alignment adjustment done yet. I've tried but all is well! Have almost 180k on it now and still feels new to me. Never skips a beat. :-jammin