Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Has anyone put a NP 242 in a bullnose? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1533393-has-anyone-put-a-np-242-in-a-bullnose.html)

bpimm 03-23-2018 09:46 AM

Has anyone put a NP 242 in a bullnose?

As the title says, I would like to have the option for full time 4WD as well as part time. I find the need to drop out of 4WD while plowing and turning around on either gravel or asphalt where the traction is to high, it would be nice to have a full time option for those times. The only transfer case I've found that may do it is the NP 242. Are there others that would have the same ability and are strong enough? I will be upgrading to a ZF5 as well but I haven't found any examples of the 242 being mated to a ZF5 yet. time to get back to the shop, it's snowing and I have the dash torn apart chasing electrical gremlins.... situation normal..

Franklin2 03-23-2018 11:01 AM

What about the NP203? If you find one from a Ford pickup, it should bolt right up to the transmission. They were popular in the 70's trucks.

New Process NP203 Transfer Case Specs

bpimm 03-23-2018 11:31 AM

The NP203 is full time only no 2wd setting, I did find that a conversion kit was available to give it a 2wd setting but it looked like the locked setting was gone with the kit. the 242 has 2wd 4WD high and low locked and full time. I'll do some more research on the conversion kit to see if the locking mechanism still works.

Shift pattern for the 242
  • two-wheel-drive, high (direct-drive)
  • four-wheel-drive, high (48/52 differential torque-biased-drive)
  • four-wheel-drive, high (locked, part-time)
  • neutral
  • four-wheel-drive, low (locked, reduction-drive)

Franklin2 03-23-2018 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by bpimm (Post 17881598)
The NP203 is full time only no 2wd setting, I did find that a conversion kit was available to give it a 2wd setting but it looked like the locked setting was gone with the kit. the 242 has 2wd 4WD high and low locked and full time. I'll do some more research on the conversion kit to see if the locking mechanism still works.

Do you use the truck for other chores such as travel and that is why you do not like the full time feature? It does use fuel.

I am not too familiar with the transfer case you asked about and if there is a version that bolts to a Ford 4x4 transmission. I did some reading on it, and it's supposed to be simple and surprised everyone how it holds up.

bpimm 03-23-2018 12:08 PM

Yes I use the truck year round and don't use as an off road toy so maintaining the 2wd is important, fuel is spendy.

Nothing Special 03-23-2018 12:15 PM

I'd suggest checking with Advance Adapters or Novak Conversions. If there's a way to put it on a Ford trans I'm sure they know about it.

Another option if you're swapping transmissions anyway would be to use an NV3550. I know it's possible to adapt those to the back of a Ford engine (I have one on the 302 in my Bronco), and the Jeep NV 242 came attached to NV3550s from the factory. If you want a stouter trans (or lower gearing), an NV4500 might be easier to adapt to than a ZF5.

bpimm 03-23-2018 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nothing Special (Post 17881687)
I'd suggest checking with Advance Adapters or Novak Conversions. If there's a way to put it on a Ford trans I'm sure they know about it.

Another option if you're swapping transmissions anyway would be to use an NV3550. I know it's possible to adapt those to the back of a Ford engine (I have one on the 302 in my Bronco), and the Jeep NV 242 came attached to NV3550s from the factory. If you want a stouter trans (or lower gearing), an NV4500 might be easier to adapt to than a ZF5.

The ZF5 doesn't need to be adapted, it came on the 6.9 and 7.3's.

Advance and Novak seem to focus on light weight jeeps not 7000 lb trucks, haven't looked at the nv4500 yet.

Nothing Special 03-23-2018 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by bpimm (Post 17881746)
The ZF5 doesn't need to be adapted, it came on the 6.9 and 7.3's.

The engine that a transmission came on has absolutely nothing to do with whether a particular transfer case can be attached to that trans. My point was that if you can't put the transfer case you want on a ZF5, you probably can put it on a different trans that you could put on your engine

Originally Posted by bpimm (Post 17881746)
Advance and Novak seem to focus on light weight jeeps not 7000 lb trucks, haven't looked at the nv4500 yet.

The NV 242 is a light weight Jeep transfer case, so even if you want to put one in a 7000 lb truck, the people that do light weight Jeep stuff are probably the people to talk to. And people put at least NV4500s in Jeeps, so Advance and Novak certainly deal with that trans and probably have a way to attach an NV 242 to it. I don't know about the ZF5.

And you hadn't said you had a 7000 lb truck with an IDI diesel before or I wouldn't have suggested an NV3550.

bpimm 03-23-2018 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nothing Special (Post 17882067)
The engine that a transmission came on has absolutely nothing to do with whether a particular transfer case can be attached to that trans. My point was that if you can't put the transfer case you want on a ZF5, you probably can put it on a different trans that you could put on your engine

My understanding is the ZF 5 for the 6.9 doesn't have a removable bell housing to adapt something else to, sometimes I tend to get to focused and not see the forest for the trees, I could use the T19 bell housing to adapt the NV4500 to DOH.

The NV 242 is a light weight Jeep transfer case, so even if you want to put one in a 7000 lb truck, the people that do light weight Jeep stuff are probably the people to talk to. And people put at least NV4500s in Jeeps, so Advance and Novak certainly deal with that trans and probably have a way to attach an NV 242 to it. I don't know about the ZF5.

A variant also came in the H1 Hummer and 3/4ton and 1 ton Chevy's which is how I stumbled on it, I didn't know that it started out as an AMC unit.[/QUOTE]

And you hadn't said you had a 7000 lb truck with an IDI diesel before or I wouldn't have suggested an NV3550.

My bad there I thought I had mentioned it. I need to set up a sig file with that info in it.

Nothing Special 03-23-2018 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by bpimm (Post 17882301)
....A variant also came in the H1 Hummer and 3/4ton and 1 ton Chevy's which is how I stumbled on it, I didn't know that it started out as an AMC unit....

I wasn't aware of a heavy duty version, but when I Googled it now I found both NV 242 and NV 242HD. I'm guessing they are completely different animals. But still, if you can't adapt the HD one to a ZF, I'm sure you'd be able to using an NV4500, and (with a separate Ford bellhouising) I'm sure you can adapt an NV4500 to your diesel. Not saying you can't use the ZF, just that there are options.

Franklin2 03-24-2018 07:47 AM

I did some searching, so far it seems Ford used a 31 spline input shaft. According to this link https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledg...r-cases/np242/ the 242 was available in 21, 23 and 32 spline inputs. So if the Fords are 31 spline, this transfer case is a no go behind the ZF. Changing the tranny would be your only option.

grumpin 03-24-2018 10:48 AM

How about the NP205 with "lunchbox lockers" in the front and rear differentials? The NP205 is strong and sought after, may be hard to find.

Which transfer case do you have now? I assume it's full time.

bpimm 03-24-2018 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by grumpin (Post 17883090)
How about the NP205 with "lunchbox lockers" in the front and rear differentials? The NP205 is strong and sought after, may be hard to find.

Which transfer case do you have now? I assume it's full time.

I have the BW 1356 in it now, I'm trying to get the full time feature without loosing the part time or 2wd modes. It has a factory lsd in the back that probably needs a rebuild.

bpimm 03-24-2018 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Franklin2 (Post 17882835)
I did some searching, so far it seems Ford used a 31 spline input shaft. According to this link https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledg...r-cases/np242/ the 242 was available in 21, 23 and 32 spline inputs. So if the Fords are 31 spline, this transfer case is a no go behind the ZF. Changing the tranny would be your only option.

I found that last night also, I think the NV4500 might be looking better if the 242 can mount to it.

grumpin 03-24-2018 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by bpimm (Post 17883127)
I have the BW 1356 in it now, I'm trying to get the full time feature without loosing the part time or 2wd modes. It has a factory lsd in the back that probably needs a rebuild.

I had a limited slip put in a 1994 F250 I used to have and did not like it. The way I understand it is, if both wheels are on a slippery or a dry surface, both wheels get power. If one is on a slippery surface and the other is not, the wheel on the slippery surface gets the power.

If I was plowing like you are, I would go with what you have and "lunchbox lockers", they are a sort of inexpensive weak point if you will, and from what I understand easier to change. I would think with all four wheels pushing you would do well.

I bet you keep busy, plowing is rough on equipment!

The last company I worked for had a 1990's Chevy heavy half, I convinced my boss to put a Boss plow on it that fully articulated. Nice plow, needed more truck! :eek: