Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   How would I know if my ‘18 F350 needs a rear sway bar? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1532877-how-would-i-know-if-my-18-f350-needs-a-rear-sway-bar.html)

Larrymac52 03-19-2018 07:34 PM

How would I know if my ‘18 F350 needs a rear sway bar?

I thought about putting this question in the adding a sway bar thread, but with 172 posts I feared it might get lost. So here is another rookie question.

So I’ve had my truck for 3 weeks and 700 miles.
That is my total experience driving a Ford Superduty and with the 6.7 PSD.

I ordered the 3.31 rear axle and 18” A/T tires and therefore did not have to order a heavy duty front suspension or a camper package that is required of the 3.55. But I also don’t have the sway bar that comes with the camper package. As I mentioned, in reading the adding a sway bar thread, quite a few have added the sway bar many opting for the Hellwig big wig.
My question is how will I know if I needed this anti sway bar? In my brief time with this truck, it really rides nice. ( I did add the Rancho 9000 xl’s with the front set at 5 and the back at 4. Tires are at 60 psi in front and 75 in the rear.) But what are the circumstances or the issues that may happen to make me consider that. Right now, I feel like, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
But again, I’ve only got 700 miles and most have been on decent highways. But because of my inexperience, I’m not sure what to look for that would make that a necessity.
Does it help with towing a trailer or fifth wheel?
What are the symptoms that tell you a sway bar is needed?

wrvond 03-19-2018 08:04 PM

No, it isn't needed, but it might be desirable.
A sway bar reduces body roll whenever the truck changes direction. The faster you are going and the more abrupt the direction change, the more you'll notice the body roll. Fast enough and sharp enough it will eventually reach a point where the handling will be degraded enough to let the truck roll over. A very extreme situation to be sure. On the other hand, if you drive on curvy highways, for example, a roll bar, still not necessary, will improve the handling and make the truck feel more planted - more under control. So it is nice to have, for sure.
When towing, changing directions (turning, curves, etc) are even more pronounced under load, so again, while not absolutely necessary, a roll bar will make the driving experience better.

UGA33 03-19-2018 08:28 PM

Find you a nice winding road or a sharp curve and hit them with a little speed. Do it again after you install a Hellwig sway bar. One of the few mods where you can actually feel a "night and day" difference. I actually put one on my 2012 because it liked to sway with our bumper pull camper. It really shined empty by significantly cutting down body roll. Don't need one, but they do make a difference.

Larrymac52 03-19-2018 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by UGA33 (Post 17873410)
Find you a nice winding road or a sharp curve and hit them with a little speed. Do it again after you install a Hellwig sway bar. One of the few mods where you can actually feel a "night and day" difference. I actually put one on my 2012 because it liked to sway with our bumper pull camper. It really shined empty by significantly cutting down body roll. Don't need one, but they do make a difference.

ok I see the need. Will the sway bar make the “normal ride” stiffer? This truck right now is very responsive. My BIL who has had an F250 for years can’t believe it is a one ton truck. I’d hate to lose that in my daily driving Also how much weight am I adding with the Hellwig sway bar?

Alaskan_Warbird 03-19-2018 08:42 PM

Get a dually. No sway bar needed. :-innocent

UGA33 03-19-2018 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Larrymac52 (Post 17873432)

ok I see the need. Will the sway bar make the “normal ride” stiffer? This truck right now is very responsive. My BIL who has had an F250 for years can’t believe it is a one ton truck. I’d hate to lose that in my daily driving Also how much weight am I adding with the Hellwig sway bar?

I didn't notice any loss of ride quality. I actually never had any to begin with as the truck was equipped with 6k factory front springs. :D The Hellwig had 3 settings. I set it on the middle set of holes. I would say it added 20-30LBS to the truck. They are pretty beefy compared to a factory bar.

wb6anp 03-19-2018 09:38 PM

I installed one on my F250 night and day difference, on one morning commute, there is a interchange with a sweeping curve, before the sway bar I had to slow to about 50 to 55 or it would start drifting to the right, now I can take it at full speed (65-70) and it holds the curve very well. I haven't towed enough yet to see the difference.

64f10 03-19-2018 10:31 PM

There's very little downside to a sway bar for highway travel, however it's a different story if you off-road or often travel rough uneven surfaces. Basically the downside is a bump on the right is torque transferred to the left through the bar. Things like hitting manhole covers will be amplified with a sway bar and dirt roads will be considerably more harsh. Washboard surfaces result in greatly reduced traction so if you travel dirt roads, consider a sway bar disconnect so you can have the best of both worlds.

nuctrooper 03-19-2018 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird (Post 17873454)
Get a dually. No sway bar needed. :-innocent

That’s a misconception. Same impact on a dually as a SRW. SRW without sway bar will roll exactly the same as a DRW without a sway bar (as long as all wheels stay on the ground).

HRTKD 03-19-2018 10:47 PM

With the rear sway bar it's like a rocket sled on rails.

In my prior truck I had to do an emergency lane change at highway speeds. It had the Hellwig Bigwig sway bar. The maneuver was very controlled. The rear followed like it was supposed to without coming around too far. The experience in the post above by wb6anp is very similar to another way I describe the positive effect of the rear sway bar.

Can the rear sway bar cause a harsher ride. Probably a bit, but not as much as if you put a front sway bar on a truck that didn't already have one.

If my truck didn't have the OEM sway bar I would go with the Hellwig for sure.

Larrymac52 03-19-2018 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by 64f10 (Post 17873778)
There's very little downside to a sway bar for highway travel, however it's a different story if you off-road or often travel rough uneven surfaces. Basically the downside is a bump on the right is torque transferred to the left through the bar. Things like hitting manhole covers will be amplified with a sway bar and dirt roads will be considerably more harsh. Washboard surfaces result in greatly reduced traction so if you travel dirt roads, consider a sway bar disconnect so you can have the best of both worlds.

sway bar disconnect?

HRTKD 03-19-2018 10:58 PM

A disconnect allows you to leave the sway bar in place but effectively disable it. Sway bars can make offroading a bit more difficult.

There are two types of disconnects. Manual: Usually involves a pin and you have to remove the pin. This may also require securing the sway bar so it doesn't flop around. Generally not a good way to go. Electronic: There is a electronic "pin" in the sway bar that connects and disconnects the sway bar in the middle. This is a sweet setup if you can get it. The Dodge PowerWagon has this from the factory on both the front and rear.

svtride 03-20-2018 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Larrymac52 (Post 17873257)
I thought about putting this question in the adding a sway bar thread, but with 172 posts I feared it might get lost. So here is another rookie question.

So I’ve had my truck for 3 weeks and 700 miles.
That is my total experience driving a Ford Superduty and with the 6.7 PSD.

I ordered the 3.31 rear axle and 18” A/T tires and therefore did not have to order a heavy duty front suspension or a camper package that is required of the 3.55. But I also don’t have the sway bar that comes with the camper package. As I mentioned, in reading the adding a sway bar thread, quite a few have added the sway bar many opting for the Hellwig big wig.
My question is how will I know if I needed this anti sway bar? In my brief time with this truck, it really rides nice. ( I did add the Rancho 9000 xl’s with the front set at 5 and the back at 4. Tires are at 60 psi in front and 75 in the rear.) But what are the circumstances or the issues that may happen to make me consider that. Right now, I feel like, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
But again, I’ve only got 700 miles and most have been on decent highways. But because of my inexperience, I’m not sure what to look for that would make that a necessity.
Does it help with towing a trailer or fifth wheel?
What are the symptoms that tell you a sway bar is needed?

I had a Hellwig rear SB in my 2011 SD CCSWB 6.7. Few times a year, I carry a Lance slide in camper and it made a world of difference in roll control with high CG loads especially in curves and turns. It just gave the truck a much more planted feel.
I did not get camper package specifically due to the harsher higher front spring rates (98% driving w/o camper) and the small EO SB that come with the package in my 2018. The Ford EO SB is a bit anemic, looks to be maybe a 20 mm cross section. I did add a Hellwig Big Wig (p/n 7320) to my 2018 which is 33.25mm cross section plus it's adjustable. Normal driving, I don't notice the SB nor any change in ride quality. I have not had the camper in the bed yet but I expect it to do the same as it did for the 2011.

Larrymac52 03-20-2018 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by HRTKD (Post 17873827)
A disconnect allows you to leave the sway bar in place but effectively disable it. Sway bars can make offroading a bit more difficult.

There are two types of disconnects. Manual: Usually involves a pin and you have to remove the pin. This may also require securing the sway bar so it doesn't flop around. Generally not a good way to go. Electronic: There is a electronic "pin" in the sway bar that connects and disconnects the sway bar in the middle. This is a sweet setup if you can get it. The Dodge PowerWagon has this from the factory on both the front and rear.

First after reading a few posts here— especially the effect off road— I’m not sure I want to add it yet.
I’m not an off road guy just for the sake of going off road. But I have some cattle at a family ranch and some of the gates getting in and around in the pastures have some drop offs that you need to take slowly so I’m not sure how a sway bar will react in those cases. Or an occasional unseen bull hole at night.
But I did look for about 20 minutes on the internet and could not find an electronic rear anti sway bar for my F350. Anyone know if that exists.

BillyE 03-20-2018 08:45 AM

I can't see how you'd want it unless you had a lot of weight up high over the rear wheels, like a slide-in camper. Maybe if you hauled pallets of bricks or something, but I'd put that on a trailer...