Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 - 2020 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   4x4 clunk (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1532652-4x4-clunk.html)

mrollings53 03-18-2018 10:38 AM

4x4 clunk

I was backing up a trailer yesterday, and put the truck in 4x4 low. After the shift message went away I gave it some light throttle then heard a load clunk sound. The steering was turned pretty far to the right before I put it 4x4 L, and when I started to backup. Didn't like what I heard, looked under the fenders for anything wrong, put it back in 2wd, and pulled around the block to get a better angle backing up. Put it in 4x4 auto, and backed the trailer into my driveway. I felt some odd thumps when the wheel was turned close to full travel. Finished playing musical chairs with the trailers in the yard without further incidents.

Truck is a 2016 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 3.5L eco 6 speed auto w/tow mod 3.55 elect lock RR axle lifted on 325/60R20 tires. Truck was lifted by the selling dealer, and has been back to the local dealer for 4x4 problems before. Odd thumps and noises have been felt and heard before while turning sharply in both 2wd and 4x4. Truck is my mother's. I'm not familiar with 4wd trucks, or newer ones; I've only owned 2wd old trucks.

alloro 03-18-2018 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by mrollings53 (Post 17870117)
put the truck in 4x4 low. After the shift message went away I gave it some light throttle then heard a load clunk sound.

Were you in neutral before shifting into low? If not the gears probably didn't fully seat until you started moving, hence the clunk.

JKBrad 03-18-2018 11:56 AM

If you were on dry ground with the wheels turned you also would get drive line binding which would cause a clunk. You probably should shift into 4x4 with the wheels staight. And, as stated above, 4 low requires the transmission to be in neutral (N) prior to engaging.

mrollings53 03-18-2018 02:34 PM

I was on loose gravel, small less than 1" diameter smooth round stones 6-8 inches deep, and snow covered grass. Would the drive line binding cause damage?

I'm aware of the neutral requirement, the dash tells you to shift into neutral.

JKBrad 03-19-2018 03:36 AM

You should be good on the surfaces described. Occasional binding happens and won’t hurt if you correct it right away by straightening the wheels or shifting back to 4x2. When there’s binding you can usually feel it in the steering wheel.

if there is a clunk, and you don’t feel it in the steering wheel, you may need to lube the splines on the front driveshaft.

I’ve also found that the shift to 4x4 isn’t immediate, going in or out. When I shift out of 4x4, I do it before I park so there is time for it to fully disengage.

Tom 03-19-2018 05:51 AM

Clunks and lurches going in and out of 4WD are almost normal for these kind of systems. Because they're not fully engaged all the time like an AWD system, gears have to mesh and parts have to come up to speed if the truck were moving.

Shifting to 4-low from a dead stop makes for a tough shift in the transfer case because the gears may not be lined up to mesh when you turn the switch. When you apply power, the gears probably meshed suddenly and engaged hard. Hard turns are harder on the system, as is engaging the system from a dead stop. Next time try shifting to 4-low with the wheels straight before the traction is needed, and do so with the truck slowly rolling from 1-3 MPH. The owner's guide should say this as well.

Terryd91 03-19-2018 08:30 AM

Between the increased gear ratio of L, the tcase and IWE's locking in, and having the wheel turned was probably enough to cause a less than smooth engagement. If you start to notice it more often, in more idea conditions i would worry then but it doesn't seem like an issue.

mrollings53 03-20-2018 01:17 PM

Thanks for the input. The manual does say to be going less than 3mph before shifting into 4L.

ecoboost12 03-21-2018 06:36 PM

4x4 Shifting

mrollings53,One other thing make sure the Trans is in Neutral rolling 3-5 Mph to mesh gears.
Than put in 4L I don't think you did any damage, So now you know the Procedure

Carnivore 04-01-2018 09:47 PM

I thin’ it s normal. I have had this happen to me as well