Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   1950 M-H Ranger on ebay (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1531961-1950-m-h-ranger-on-ebay.html)

abe 03-12-2018 10:38 PM

1950 M-H Ranger on ebay

1950 Marmon-Herrington Ranger for sale on eBay for Buy It Now $28,500. All there except the front drive shaft he says. Not running.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Ford-O....c100010.m2109
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...28c316d253.jpg

Stu, did you know about this one?

truckdog62563 03-12-2018 11:20 PM

Oh yeah, and I’ve swapped emails with Mark Mossell about it. I had checked my copy of Mark’s registry and didn’t see one listed in Carmel, CA. That’s because Mark didn’t know about it. It’s a new one to his records. It’s a pretty nice truck, seems complete, and even has its rear benches. That front drive shaft, though, isn’t there for a reason. Sure would suggest a front axle problem. For that kind of money I’d be scared and would need to know there weren’t thousands more to spend on the axle.

The seller compares the truck to the ‘51 that he claims sold for $250k. If it sold for that the restorer lost money. The way I heard the story there was that much spent on it BEFORE they did the non-original woodie interior. Stu

abe 03-13-2018 10:48 AM

Yes, I did think it looked pretty solid and not beat up like a lot you see from their years of being a workhorse. So you think the front drive shaft broke because something is wrong with the front axle, huh? Makes sense. This is one you'd have to see in person before buying.

truckdog62563 03-13-2018 12:36 PM

Or removed to allow the truck to function as a 2wd. Having it inspected by an experienced M-H mechanic would make sense. Stu

petemcl 03-13-2018 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by truckdog62563 (Post 17860145)
Or removed to allow the truck to function as a 2wd. Having it inspected by an experienced M-H mechanic would make sense. Stu

That would seem likely. Although a bad U-joint or damaged shaft causing a vibration is possible too. How many experienced M-H mechanics are their Stu? You and who else 😉

truckdog62563 03-13-2018 02:09 PM

Nope, not me. I’m an okay parts guy, but make no claims as a mechanic. Chuck would be the obvious best person to inspect the truck, but he has a business to run. And is on the wrong end of the map. He has written a good number of posts with things to watch for when buying a M-H. Chuck may know someone in CA that he would recommend, or could certainly talk a mechanic through key issues to look for while the truck is up on a lift. Stu

abe 03-13-2018 04:26 PM

Stu, is this true from the ebay ad? "Ford sent new F-1 panel trucks to Marmon-Herrington to modify them. To do this, Marmon-Herrington installed their AWD/4WD drivetrain, cut openings for two windows on each side leaving enough material to neatly roll the sheet metal into the glass..."

I thought an aftermarket coach builder like Siebert would have put in the windows and the seats.

truckdog62563 03-13-2018 05:51 PM

Right, the first stop after leaving the Ford factory, probably Highland Park, was the Indianapolis M-H factory. They lifted the body off, modified the frame to accept the transfer case, moved the gas tank back to make room for the transfer case, installed the axle, etc, then reassembled. Then the panel trucks that were destined to become Rangers were shipped to Siebert in Ohio where the cab modifications were made. Side wall modifications, windows and inner structure installed, seats, etc. Then a repaint. Mine started life as a Sheridan Blue panel truck, and became a Silverton Gray Ranger. That’s a lot going on. Mark Mossell is the guy who has done the digging on history. As I recall him saying, Siebert neglected to include the cost of the repaint in their pricing to Ford. So for that reason, along with all the others related to the amount of work done, transportation, etc, they were not profitable. Most were built in 1950, then fewer each year through end of the run in 1956. Mark has no record of any 1956s having actually been converted making his 1955 the last known. The total number is unknown. I’ve seen 50ish for the whole run. Maybe Mark or Chuck will add their insights.

I have two reference sources with pricing citations. I have several editions of the Branham Automobile Reference Books that give pricing that looks to be pricing to the dealer. I also have a 1953 Marmon-Herrington sales folder with “List Price” and “Net Cost to Dealer” citations. So using the 1953 figures, Branham shows the cost to the dealer of a base panel truck to be $1572. The M-H option added $1345. Dealer cost of a M-H panel was $2917. Those numbers closely align with the M-H sales folder. It shows dealer cost of that M-H panel to be $3028 with list price to the customer to be $3613. The Ranger option took the price to the dealer up to $3571 with list price up to $4275. Expensive vehicles. Stu

abe 03-13-2018 07:07 PM

The seats in this Ranger on eBay.... I have a suspension they are just pickup truck bench seats. Wouldn't the second seat have been shorter (or less wide) to allow passengers to get the the rear seat which would have been full length. And the passenger front seat would have been the optional panel truck seat that flips front, right?

truckdog62563 03-13-2018 07:22 PM

Right. Your probably correct about those seats. Apparently mine didn’t come with two bench seats when new. There are special floor inserts that the seats mount to. Mine has only the forward set of inserts. And I’m missing my bench, but I have both buckets. Stu

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...pslmclonh0.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps1ay5av4y.jpg

pineconeford 03-13-2018 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by truckdog62563 (Post 17860656)
..... The Ranger option took the price to the dealer up to $3571 with list price up to $4275. Expensive vehicles. Stu

Cool history, Stu. Thanks for sharing this about the MH's.
I just did a calculation of what $4275 meant back in 1950, and it is $39,892 in today's dollars.
A brand new F150 Lariat is now priced at $48,000 and a base Expedition is $52,000. Of course today's trucks have safety and comfort features stuffed all throughout them that the Rangers never had.
I'm surprised they didn't build more of them at that price.
Tom

abe 03-13-2018 07:33 PM

So your Ranger was like the one in the small picture? Was your second seat a full width seat since there was no third seat? I have seen that picture of the hunting Ranger before, I think in a Ford Truck Clues magazine. And I see those bench seats were not anything like Ford seats.

truckdog62563 03-13-2018 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by pineconeford (Post 17860849)
Cool history, Stu. Thanks for sharing this about the MH's.
I just did a calculation of what $4275 meant back in 1950, and it is $39,892 in today's dollars.
A brand new F150 Lariat is now priced at $48,000 and a base Expedition is $52,000. Of course today's trucks have safety and comfort features stuffed all throughout them that the Rangers never had.
I'm surprised they didn't build more of them at that price.
Tom

Agree, the money was all connected to labor. Nothing fancy about them. I think the early 1950s was a tough time when Chevy Suburbans were established as production line vehicles, and a cheap 4x4 equivalent was a war surplus Dodge Carryall.

Originally Posted by abe (Post 17860856)
So your Ranger was like the one in the small picture? Was your second seat a full width seat since there was no third seat? I have seen that picture of the hunting Ranger before, I think in a Ford Truck Clues magazine. And I see those bench seats were not anything like Ford seats.

Yes, the bench seats were like school bus seats. Chuck has a company that will reproduce both the frames and spring sets. Mine would be full width. Stu

CHUCK48-50 03-13-2018 08:18 PM

This is Bill Ginter's Ranger, from right here in Hamden, CT. Not a new find, unfortunately. The guy bought it from him on Ebay, and spruced it up a little.
Chuck

truckdog62563 03-13-2018 08:21 PM

Ahhh, the rest of the story. Thx. Stu