Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   New gen F150 vs New gen F250 6.2 (gas vs gas) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1531856-new-gen-f150-vs-new-gen-f250-6-2-gas-vs-gas.html)

2012Coyote 03-12-2018 11:26 AM

New gen F150 vs New gen F250 6.2 (gas vs gas)

Hello all, I’m sure this has been discussed in the past, and I have read similar topics, I wanted to get some fresh opinions on it. Has anybody here gone from an F150 to an F250? Particularly the 6.2? I am going to be looking for a replacement for my 2012 F150 5.0 regular cab, will need a crew cab for more space (plan on having kids) and 4x4. No need or interest in the diesel. I plan on keeping this new truck until it falls apart, and will likely have a boat/camper to tow within a years time or so. I really like the rugged simplicity of the F250, and my job requires that I be in my truck for most of the day, cruising job sites. I have found that I can get an STX package F250 4x4 6.2 crew for not much more than a similarly equipped F150. Has anybody here made the switch from F150 to an F250 and had regrets? I know gas mileage will be worse, as well as ride etc. But just how bad is the difference? Livable day to day as a daily driver? My current F150 already gets somewhat lousy gas mileage due to the conditions it runs in, lots of stop start/idling at job sites.

MadeInDade 03-12-2018 11:58 AM

I'm in a similar boat as you. I currently have a 2015 F-150 5.0, and I will be switching to a 6.2L F-250 probably a 2019. I fell in love with the Alumiduties when they were first released and have been doing my research on them for a couple years now. For me, the cab is the same, and I love the F-150 cab and all the room it has, and you'll love the upgrade in space.

I was also impressed with the torque and seat-of-the-pants feel that the 5.0's have and thought I might be disappointed by the 6.2L. I test drive the 6.2's Super Duties every time I see them at a local dealer just to get a feel for them. I plan on ordering my 6.2L with 4.30 gears, but every one I've driven has 3.73's and I haven't been disappointed by the power in them. The F-250 ride is slightly, and I mean slightly, rougher than my F-150, but it is still very quiet and smooth. And will likely be smoothing and quieter than your 2012.

I know gas mileage is the main downfall of the 6.2L, but it doesn't matter to me because my truck is my grocery getter/weekend errand runner. I have a work vehicle so I don't drive my truck but once or twice a week. My F-150 gets 18mpg in the city, I only expect 10 - 12mpg from the 6.2L.

Just for *****s and giggles, I've built F-150's and F-250's online to compare prices. And by the time I load out a Lariat F-150 with the options I want, it actually comes in about $1k more than a Lariat F-250 loaded the way I want.

fleming23 03-12-2018 12:09 PM

Going from a 2016 F150 5.0 to my 2017 F250 6.7, I don't know I would recommend the F250 unless you are towing/hauling heavy... It is more difficult to park and the ride is objectively more harsh, compared to a newer F150. The interior is 99% identical so you don't gain anything by going to the "bigger" truck. I only upgraded as I tow a 24' fully optioned/heavy enclosed car hauler around the country and the 150 was not quite up to the task. You do gain quite a commanding presence sitting in the 250 compared to a 150 though, as you almost feel like you are in a big rig looking down on the plebs beneath you. It sounds as though your decision will, or should, come down to buying the one you want and maybe not necessarily what you need (depending on the trailer/boat weight in the future.)

KiloWhiskey 03-12-2018 12:59 PM

I am also in the same situation as the op. I know I want to make the step up from my current 2017 F150 5.0 but I am currently (and perhaps hopelessly) locked into analysis paralysis. I am constantly back and fourth between 6.2 and 6.7. I plan on ordering this truck so I am taking my time.

wildcard30 03-12-2018 01:01 PM

Went from a 2006 F-150 to a 2017 F-250. I did not do much towing with the 150. But I plan on towing a travel trailer with the 250. I also haul a lot of stuff in the bed.

With the 150 I would have to make multiple trips for some loads. With the 250 I should be able to load it once and be done.

I also went from a Super Cab to a Crew Cab. The dogs have more room and that makes them more comfortable on longer trips.

marobrown 03-12-2018 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by MadeInDade (Post 17857746)
And by the time I load out a Lariat F-150 with the options I want, it actually comes in about $1k more than a Lariat F-250 loaded the way I want.

I was in the same boat, I could not find an F150 Lariat with a comparable price, especially in the build and price since I was probably going to have to order an F150 to get the 8 foot bed and center front seat options as they are even less common in F150. The super duty was always cheaper. Plus I had my old F150 for 10 years, plan to have this truck longer since it isn’t my daily driver and who knows what camper I will wind up with in a couple years, much less 5 years. I didn’t want to be as limited in my options with a half ton truck, or have to upgrade my truck to match the camper.

HRTKD 03-12-2018 01:24 PM

In many cases, an F-250 isn't a good fit if you plan to use a slide-in camper or a gooseneck/fifth wheel trailer. It doesn't have the cargo capacity that the F-350 does. An F-350 isn't that much more than F-250.

Gary E 03-12-2018 01:30 PM

I haven't made the switch, but yes it seems to me you get alot more for the money with a f250. I buy some 1/2 tons for business and the ram is so much cheaper i go with them. I would think resale would be better on the 250, and they look much more beefy, its a nice big truck that everyone will think you spent 60-80k on. You will get used to parking it and fuel costs won't be significantly different. The ride is just fine on the big truck especially with lower tire pressures.

psdxohio 03-12-2018 02:06 PM

I have an F150 SCREW 5.0/3.73 that I’m trading for an F250 CCSB 6.2/4.30 in about two weeks. Since my current truck is what the OP has, I can comment on the difference from the test drive. The new F250 is MUCH quicker than the 2012 F150 - torque is quite a bit more and the transmission behaves much better. And the test drive was with 3.73 gears. I’m looking forward to pulling my 7k TT later this spring. I think you’ll find it very comparable in terms of comfort, although parking and maneuvering will be different. Good luck with your decision!

SubNukeELT 03-12-2018 02:08 PM

I went from a 2014 150 XLT SCREW to a 2017 250 Lariat SCREW. The 150 just barely had enough capacity to tow our travel trailer; 250 is more than enough. I use it for daily driver and while not quite as comfortable, I'm really glad we made the switch. Would do it again (and sooner)!

Yes, gas mileage stinks, but I think it is a good trade-off.

Alaskan_Warbird 03-12-2018 03:15 PM

I just made the switch 7 months ago. I had a 2015 F150 crew cab with 6.5' bed and the 5.0L engine. Upgraded to a brand new 2017 F350 crew cab, 6.2L gasser, long bed, dually. I LOVE IT!! It's rides nicer, I can carry WAY more, it has tons more torque and power. It was like going from a pinto to a REAL truck. They're sort of incomparable, honestly. Yes, we get way less fuel mileage but you know what? It's worth every extra penny we spend on fuel. This truck does anything I will ever need to do with a truck until I retire. You should have a similar experience going from F150 to F250.

Let's briefly mention gas vs. diesel - I also made the choice to stick with gas. We do a lot of winter camping and I need my rig to start out in the boonies, even at subzero temps, w/o having to be plugged in our otherwise warmed up first. Also maintenance on the gas engine is way cheaper. Sp much cheaper, it doesn't make up for the much better fuel mileage the diesels get. That said, if you plan to be towing more that 12,500 pounds, do yourself a favor, bite the bullet and go ahead and get the diesel now. It adds on about $9,000 to the initial price, and you eat it for maintenance. When I retire in 10-15 years, we plan to tow a 5th wheeler and tour the country visiting family. So I'll probably go diesel at that time. For now, gas is a no brainer. Quiet, cheaper to run, cold starts no problem, plenty of power, and the 6.2L is a proven top performing engine with a history of win.

Hope that helps? Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

giant futon 03-12-2018 03:25 PM

Hey, i've got a thread in the 6.2 sub forum: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ng-thread.html. I came from a 2012 5.0 Screw Lariat Short bed with 3.55 gears. I wrote up on the performance of the 6.2 with 4.30 gears and I also have a youtube channel linked in that thread where you can watch some video if you like. I pull out here in the Sierras a lot and have been across the country twice in the new setup and its been nice.

All the best!

GF

TCNashville 03-12-2018 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 2012Coyote (Post 17857660)
I plan on keeping this new truck until it falls apart, and will likely have a boat/camper to tow within a years time or so. I really like the rugged simplicity of the F250, and my job requires that I be in my truck for most of the day, cruising job sites. I have found that I can get an STX package F250 4x4 6.2 crew for not much more than a similarly equipped F150. Has anybody here made the switch from F150 to an F250 and had regrets? I know gas mileage will be worse, as well as ride etc. But just how bad is the difference? Livable day to day as a daily driver? My current F150 already gets somewhat lousy gas mileage due to the conditions it runs in, lots of stop start/idling at job sites.

I just purchased an F-250 CCSB gasser with the STX package. I came from a '12 F-250 6.7l PSD CCSB. Just got tired of the maintenance I guess. The STX package doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles and vinyl floors and I like it. Less to break. It's a comfortable truck to drive but you do feel the bumps. I'm getting 14+ mpg in mine and if you're gonna tow, it'll be night/day difference from an F-150. This is a solid truck and you should go and test drive one and you'll be convinced. Just make sure you get one with the fold down middle console.

2012Coyote 03-12-2018 03:57 PM

Thanks for all of the input. I guess it will boil down to the test drives and final costs out the door. My current 2012 Regular cab is a rocket ship with the 5.0. I know that a new F250 won’t quite compare, but it seems that these 6.2’s aren’t the dogs that most gas 3/4 tons are as well. As mentioned before, I don’t plan on trading this truck in 4-5 years down the road, it will be driven for much longer than that. I know that a properly equipped F150 would probably suit me just fine, but with both being similar in price you have to take the F250 into consideration right? The main thing I need is more space, the regular cab isn’t cutting it anymore. One thing I hate about many of the F150 crew cabs are the 5.5 ft beds. Basically useless. I do haul things in the bed every week and my current 6.5 ft bed is the bare minimum of what I need.

ThirdsACharm 03-12-2018 05:08 PM

This is a great thread OP - I'm in the same situation on pulling the trigger going from 11 F150 eco to F250 CCSB 6.2, so its helpful to hear opinions.

I have 2 questions -
First @TCNashville - Just curious, why the fold-down middle console?

Second - I'm strongly leaning going XL. There is a local dealer that frequently stocks the XL with everything I want. Would probably do minimal mods, but would like to drop the standard 17 in wheels in favor of something moderately bigger while maintaining stock ride height. I've been following the threads here and browsing sites like Customoffsets, etc. Any thoughts on whether to go 20in wheels vs 18? I've been leaning towards 18s because I thought with more sidewall I could get a little bit of a softer ride unloaded, but dont know if that theory is flawed.

Side note @Giant Futon - enjoyed your videos, I've found them helpful as I've done my research. Still on the fence on the rear axle ratio but you make a solid case for the 4.30s.