Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   19mpg??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1531846-19mpg.html)

CPTMidnight 03-12-2018 10:08 AM

19mpg???

I have a 2016 F350KR (3.55) and have had it since new. It now has 53k miles.

So far when driving I am getting 13-13.5/mpg in the city, 14.5-15mph on highway, 12.5-13/mpg with the lance truck camper, and less if towing something heavy.

Last Friday I was headed up to northern Minnesota. Calm sunny day and I stopped into a truck stop to refuel because I was down to a quarter tank . The only pump available was for #2 diesel and I was in a hurry so I filled it. Normally I would have #1 in it during the winter months. On the way up I watch my mileage climb on the lie-o-meter up to 18, then 18.2 and then end up on 19mpg. I reset it several times and chose the 30 minute calculation vs. the 5 minute. The entire 4 hour trip averaged over 18.5mpg. Weird - I have never gotten this good of mileage ever with the 6.7.

On the way back it was down to a quarter tank so I filled it back up with #1 diesel and this time averaged about 17.5mpg.

Both days were calm and half of it is freeway at about 75mph and the rest is highway at about 63mph.

Im not complaining but what has changed? Is the engine wearing in and giving me better mileage? Is the #2 diesel really making that much of a difference? Tires are almost needing a change changing the final drive ratio? I'm puzzled but happy. 19mpg seems great and I have not even deleted yet. Any thoughts?

Sparky83 03-12-2018 10:52 AM

#1 diesel is a bit more volatile than #2 diesel mainly because its pretty much straight diesel fuel with very few additives other than Kerosene to help prevent gelling. which because #1 lacks some of the additives that #2 has so it flows a little more freely though the fuel system. but it has some drawbacks to it as well.. it doesnt provide the same lubricating effects you get with #2.. also youll get greater torque from #2 than you will #1.. #2 is supposed to have the better fuel economy. but every trucks different just as not each fuel mix is perfect either.

something else to consider is the Cetane rating.. many dont bother to look for this on the pumps (ntm often the pumps are incorrectly marked alot of times too).. fuel mixed to a cetane rating of 55 will run more efficiently than one with a 40 cetain rating. some stations will carry fuel in a certain rating depending on who their primary clients are.. for instance when the 6.0's were first designed they were programed to run what was supposed to be the new federal minimum mandate of 50cetane. This was supposed to be done to meet stricter emissions mandates meeting the European standards. When the measure didnt pass the stations continued with the 40 cetane and trucks had to be reprogrammed. about the equivalent of programming a sports car to run on 93 then forcing them to run on 87.. or in the eco cars programming it to run on 87 and then fulling up with 83e fuel. they just dont like it.. the higher the cetane the more efficient they can run.

the pump you probably filled up was most likely carrying a higher cetane rated fuel being that it was a truck stop.

Superdave71 03-12-2018 11:10 AM

So what does 19mph have to do with any of this?

CPTMidnight 03-12-2018 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Superdave71 (Post 17857585)
So what does 19mph have to do with any of this?

Lol - screwing up the subject line is my speciality. Fixed

Lawrencew 03-12-2018 03:10 PM

Heading from cold Canada to AZ this winter my mileage improved by 20% while towing once I started burning southern fuel, the lighter grade up north is better fir cold weather issues but does not provide the same level of power , see similar issues if we start on the land in spring and still have lighter fuel in storage

CPTMidnight 03-12-2018 03:19 PM

It would appear that fuel makes a huge difference - #2 is cheaper also. The problem is that it would definitely gel in the deep winter.

Would strait #2 plus a healthy shot of Power Service Products Winter Supplement work to stop the gelling when it gets down to -10? Any other risks in running #2 all the time?

Painted Horse 03-12-2018 03:31 PM

Yes #2 with additive usually works at -10

dirthawg 03-12-2018 07:17 PM

Here is what #2 looks like straight from the pump at a Loves truck stop in Kansas during the January arctic blast. I ran out of Anti-Gel so this tank didn't get treated until I got back home.

https://s20.postimg.org/l1mvpgf9p/20180116_081516.jpg

https://s20.postimg.org/lr5o1tnj1/20180116_081714.jpg

Geno C 03-12-2018 07:24 PM

Since that was from Loves in winter, I highly doubt it is straight #2. The big national chains almost always blend fuel in the winter because trucks go all over and a long ways between fuel ups.

Pocket 03-12-2018 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky83 (Post 17857527)
#1 diesel is a bit more volatile than #2 diesel mainly because its pretty much straight diesel fuel with very few additives other than Kerosene to help prevent gelling. which because #1 lacks some of the additives that #2 has so it flows a little more freely though the fuel system. but it has some drawbacks to it as well.. it doesnt provide the same lubricating effects you get with #2.. also youll get greater torque from #2 than you will #1.. #2 is supposed to have the better fuel economy. but every trucks different just as not each fuel mix is perfect either.

Actually... this is incorrect.
  • #2 has more BTU's than #1.
  • The amount of additives doesn't contribute to volatility.
  • #1 has a lower cloud and gell point than #2.
  • You won't get straight #1 at any fuel station pump. Diesel fuel is either winterized (#2 with winter additives), or blended (a combination of #2, a small portion of #1, and winter additives).

Because #2 has more BTU's, that's what gives the better fuel economy. Adding #1 (blended fuel) typically causes a drop in fuel economy because there is less energy content (BTU's).

dirthawg 03-12-2018 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Geno C (Post 17858712)
Since that was from Loves in winter, I highly doubt it is straight #2. The big national chains almost always blend fuel in the winter because trucks go all over and a long ways between fuel ups.

I agree it was treated or blended to some degree. As the image shows it was just starting to cloud, I always add additional anti-gel just to be safe. We don't have the option to pump #1 diesel down here in the southern states like those of you up north.

Sparky83 03-12-2018 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pocket (Post 17858822)
  • #2 has more BTU's than #1.
  • The amount of additives doesn't contribute to volatility.
  • #1 has a lower cloud and gell point than #2.
  • You won't get straight #1 at any fuel station pump. Diesel fuel is either winterized (#2 with winter additives), or blended (a combination of #2, a small portion of #1, and winter additives).

Because #2 has more BTU's, that's what gives the better fuel economy. Adding #1 (blended fuel) typically causes a drop in fuel economy because there is less energy content (BTU's).

i was just going off the differences i found across several sites that compared #1 and #2.. they were they ones saying #1 was more volatile, along with being a straighter diesel fuel mix compared to all the additives they put into #2..

Painted Horse 03-12-2018 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pocket (Post 17858822)
(BTU's).

Some of the northern states do actually sell straight #1.. I've seen many pumps in Montana and North Dakota that are labled at #1, and right next to it are #2 pump as well as many that offer different percentages of #1 just like chosing Octane ratings on a gas pump. ie 100% #2 70/30 % 50/50%

Geno C 03-13-2018 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Painted Horse (Post 17859161)
Some of the northern states do actually sell straight #1.. I've seen many pumps in Montana and North Dakota that are labled at #1, and right next to it are #2 pump as well as many that offer different percentages of #1 just like chosing Octane ratings on a gas pump. ie 100% #2 70/30 % 50/50%

you hit about highway 8 in WI and you can find #1 pretty easy. You get crap mileage but never have to worry about cold starting.

As a kid I remember some of the old timers would mix about 1:100 gas to diesel in their tanks when it got really cold. Tractors still started no matter how cold it got

remhaust 03-13-2018 11:29 PM

I would have say it’s a combination of #2 fuel, which is always the best for power ect, and most likely the fact that it was calm or little to no wind. I can gain 3+ mpg when i go somewhere with no wind. Funny thing is, every time I go to MN I gain a lot because most of the time all the trees block the wind. And we up here have #1, 75/25, 50/50, 25/75, #2 at a lot of places but most will have #1, 50/50, #2.