Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   2001 3.0 engine (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1531661-2001-3-0-engine.html)

needs2bsedated 03-10-2018 05:29 PM

2001 3.0 engine

Hello guys
I picked up a 2001 ranger needs an engine. It is "U" code (non flex). I can't seem to put the correct words together, and I'm sure it has been asked before. I am looking for what will be direct fit engine/ year/ compatibility.
Also how new could I get if I used my accessories? Example intake and exhaust manifolds. I found a little info that claimed up to 2009.
Not sure what all is involved with front wheel drive engines, but I feel it is not worth it to go down to replacing head gaskets, and more.

mfp4073 03-12-2018 04:06 PM

I dont have a definitive list for you. But I just replaced my 2004 3.0 with a 2006 3.0 from a Taurus and am very happy I did. I reused EVERYTHING from my old motor except for the heads and block and you do have to change the head gaskets out (not a hard job). What you get from the Taurus motor is much lower mile motors are available and generally better treated than in the rangers. Flex/non flex are the same as far as you are concerned. The fuel injectors from them are not swappable (as I found out accidentally thanks to rockledge). The rest that is different from flex/non flex trucks is in the fuel system/computer. all things you would keep from your old truck.

Things get tricky when you want to use all of the accessories from the new engine. The more you want to use, the more chance of something like a sensor, etc not being the same.

Any junkyard should be able to get you this information. The info on the Taurus motor is not something they can tell you, but I can call in my source tomorrow and get the years that work.

What you also get out of doing the head gaskets/pulling the head is you get to inspect the new motor/heads much better to stave off problems later AND you get freshly installed head gaskets and bolts so the worry of a blown head gasket down the road goes to almost zero.

I hope that helps some. Feel free to ask away.

mfp4073 03-12-2018 04:07 PM

OH and welcome to the forum, I just noticed you are a fairly new member!

needs2bsedated 03-12-2018 07:51 PM

Thank you for the reply. I was beginning to give up.
I picked up the truck for my grandson. First vehicle and beater. We all know how new drivers take care of their first car.
I know the easiest would be direct fit. I am trying to confirm what I believe is 1999/2001 is direct fit.
I have two 77 highboys that I want to restore, and also a 92 f150 4x4 that needs some work.
Plates kind a full. Summers are short.
Thank again for the reply and welcome.

mfp4073 03-13-2018 04:28 PM

no problem!

Yeah, the more specific you get the less choices you will have. I had a very hard time finding something that was exactly like mine and most of the ranger motors I could find were either $1400 and/or 150-200k miles. The decision for the Taurus motor was based on finding a clean 90k mile motor (i probably could have found a 50k mile motor if I waited) and paid 600$ for it. the extra work actually gave me a lot more motor for a lot less money.

I would also recommend at the very least replacing the oil pump. It cant be done in the truck and is fairly easy/cheap.

As far as direct fit stuff goes, call up your local junk yard and ask if they have a motor for you, what it will take to make it fit, and such. You might be able to get them to give you the specifics of what will fit in the midst of the conversation even if you dont really intend on buying a motor from them.

Rockledge 03-13-2018 06:09 PM

I am trying to confirm what I believe is 1999/2001 is direct fit.
Yes, a '99-'01 motor (3.0L Vulcan) from a Ranger would be the best "drop it right in" option in your case, but as noted other years and models can work well, too. A lot depends on how much time you want to spend and how much thinking you want to put into it.

mfp4073 03-13-2018 07:37 PM

I would also add to what rockledge said, that it will give you more options of motors to pick from. I would hate for you to only find a 1400$ 200k motor and think its your only option.

spooktn 03-13-2018 09:35 PM

I agree with mfp post 2,,,being this is his first truck new head gaskets are a great idea,,,,you know first time owners are hard on cars and trucks and new gaskets might save you some headaches down the road !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mfp4073 03-14-2018 04:43 AM

Head-ache...I see what you did there!

but whatever you do DONT GET FELPRO HEAD BOLTS...i dont even want to think about that nightmare again.

needs2bsedated 03-17-2018 10:31 AM

Appreciate the replies.
Iwould not have a problem doing the engine work to go Taurus route. Just trying to go the least expense. Really don't feel the truck is worth the added expense (rust).

The engine that was in it has a hole in the pan you can just about put your fist in it. Pretty sure cam synchro issue.

That being said if I go with cost of Taurus engine and convert to truck I don't think the cost to repair original engine will be that much more expensive. Keeping in mind run able repair and not a rebuild to new condition engine.

Seems to me I should passed and not have bought this project.

needs2bsedated 03-25-2018 04:16 PM

Swap 01 ranger 3.0 with 02 ranger 3.0

Looking at a 02 3.0 engine for my 01 ranger. Does anyone know what I'll need from the 01 to make the 02 work being the 02 is not a direct fit.

racsan 03-25-2018 04:39 PM

i dont know much about interchangeabilty of 3.0's but i have a 97 3.0 still in (whats left) a ranger chassis, 2wd auto, no 1st gear. has 185,000 on it, did run before i tore truck down, i even drove it some with no 1st gear. im in central ohio (marion) would take 200 for the whole thing, not that its much, a/c is still intact and did work also.

when it still ran last-ranger roadster

as a flatbed

when i first got it

Rockledge 03-25-2018 04:53 PM

Looking at a 02 3.0 engine for my 01 ranger. Does anyone know what I'll need from the 01 to make the 02 work being the 02 is not a direct fit.
I've never swapped out a 3.0L Vulcan engine myself, but everything I know about them leads me to conclude that an '02 motor will work just fine in your '01 application. If there are any differences from one year to the next, they are negligible. The fact that you will have the '01 motor to take parts from means that you should be good to go. One thing to keep in mind that a 3.0L from a flex fuel Ranger uses different size fuel injectors than a regular gasoline Ranger.

mfp4073 03-25-2018 06:32 PM

about the 02/01 swap. It should be easy. But in the event there is a dependency between the two, use the parts from the truck its being installed in to make it work.

needs2bsedated 03-26-2018 03:57 PM

Thank you racsan for the offer. I really appreciate it. But that is kinda going backwards for me and it's also the two hour drive that is a negative for me.