Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   How to make cab quieter and where to find upholstery? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1531497-how-to-make-cab-quieter-and-where-to-find-upholstery.html)

ford_fan_59 03-09-2018 11:42 AM

How to make cab quieter and where to find upholstery?

Hey all.. I've been on the site for quite a while but I've never really been active. I was working on my '59 F100 and getting it ready to drive, but it got postponed because I managed to score 4 different Rancheros. Now I'm fixing it up for my dad as he has no truck to drive. It has the 223 L6 with the 3 on the tree. It was sitting 28 years and i got it running again about a year and a half ago. Now I'm in the process of putting it on the road. It is VERY loud and shaky inside. What is the best thing to insulate the interior with? Also, the seat is trashed, but it has been re-covered in the past, so I will tear out the cloth re covering and I want to find something temporary to cover it with (like a red velvet colored cloth). But I can't seem to find anything.

NumberDummy 03-10-2018 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by ford_fan_59 (Post 17852217)
Hey all.. I've been on the site for quite a while but I've never really been active. I was working on my '59 F100 and getting it ready to drive, but it got postponed because I managed to score 4 different Rancheros. Now I'm fixing it up for my dad as he has no truck to drive.

It has the 223 L6 :-huh with the 3 on the tree.

L6 is a flat head aka L head engine. 223 is an OHV engine, usually identified as an I-6

ford_fan_59 03-10-2018 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 17853389)
L6 is a flat head aka L head engine. 223 is an OHV engine, usually identified as an I-6

Ywp, thatís what I meant. And I see you have a 2017 Fusion. Me too, Titanium Hybrid. Itís a great car

NumberDummy 03-10-2018 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ford_fan_59 (Post 17853864)

Ywp, thatís what I meant. And I see you have a 2017 Fusion. Me too, Titanium Hybrid. Itís a great car

Fusion has the 2.5L 4 banger, I set the trip odometer to zero, then drove R/T from Simi Valley to San Diego: 38.7 MPG .. the best I ever gotten with any vehicle and I've owned over 300 since 1956.

This is my second Fusion, had a 2008 w/the 2.3L 4 banger. There's pics of me and the '17 Fusion in the SoCal Chapter forum, July 29, 2017 breakfast GTG post #27. I had only had it 3 weeks.

ford_fan_59 03-10-2018 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 17853895)
Fusion has the 2.5L 4 banger, I set the trip odometer to zero, then drove R/T from Simi Valley to San Diego: 38.7 MPG .. the best I ever gotten with any vehicle and I've owned over 300 since 1956.

This is my second Fusion, had a 2008 w/the 2.3L 4 banger. There's pics of me and the '17 Fusion in the SoCal Chapter forum, July 29, 2017 breakfast GTG post #27. I had only had it 3 weeks.

we'e only had ours about 2 weeks. It's the replacement for our 2009 Focus SE which was totaled after some complete idiot ran a stop sign and T-boned us. He took off and was never seen again. Nevertheless our fusion gets 38 MPG in town but hasn' been taken on the HWY yet

economan 03-11-2018 09:17 AM

Back on the matter at hand:
an easy and relatively inexpensive way to sound insulate the cab is a sheet of chipped foam, available off bulk roll at most carpet stores or in a small ish roll at box store building supply places. (likely enough to do 2 or more trucks with).
it takes to gluing reasonably well if you are intending on putting it upright walls (behind gas tank & firewall area) much cheaper than commercially available products like dynamat I believe provides better overall sound deadening characteristics. Over top the headliner however it is wise to put something a bit lighter to avoid making the headliner sag under the weight, For this i use fibreglass (yes that's the Canadian spelling of it) sheets, these semi rigid sheets are most easily and inexpensively acquired by purchasing a couple of those acoustical white drop 2x4 ceiling tiles. Simply peel off the white plastic decorative outer layer cut to shape and wrap them in a plastic bag (garbage bags work good) and tape the bag well closed (box closing or tuck tape) as they will create dust with the natural vibrations going down the road.
if you really wanna get fancy you can even wrap the outer headlining with a layer of fleece cloth ( i used a printed one black with orange and red flames) by spray gluing it on the existing liner. Carpet on the floor also helps, use one with a nice tightly woven nap to make keeping clean easier. apparently there is now trim available to finish around the step well.
These are the techniques I used in the cab of my panel truck and I am forever getting compliments about "how quiet it is in here" and btw the stereo sounds amazing Lets not forget about a fresh set of door and vent window rubbers.
So far as the seat goes the cost of a quality reupholstering of a seat can be staggering, if you are not going for total originality a seat out of a 88-99 GM truck complete with mounting brackets (cheap and plentiful) is a perfect size & height you just have to drill 4 holes in the floor.
"Shaky inside"?? shaky "inside" generally comes from the "outside", make sure wheels balanced, good tires with no broken/shifted belts. good king pins, tie rod ends, tight steering box, proper alignment, and Universal joints in good order.
Mikie
Near Ottawa Canada
58 M-100 panel & 64 Econoline p/u

sifton 03-13-2018 09:57 AM

I went to an upholstery shop and bought some underlay for vehicles. I lined the floor, rear cab, roof and inside of the door panels. Mine has the fuel tank removed so I made a rear cab panel the wraps around the cab corners. I also covered the headliner. It is very quiet now.