Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 - 2020 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   Android Auto- What am I doing wrong? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1531212-android-auto-what-am-i-doing-wrong.html)

SJMaye 03-07-2018 05:53 AM

Android Auto- What am I doing wrong?

I just bought a 2016 F-150 w/ Sync 3 and navigation. I have attempted to connect Android Auto now twice with no results. My phone is Android 5.0.1. I cannot remember my Sync 3 version, I have Android Auto running on my phone and connected via bluetooth. No USB charging cable connected. I have Android Auto enabled in Sync 3. The phone appears to be running AA fine. I check settings and it shows no vehicles connected. I see no way to manually connect to the Sync 3.

If it helps, I do remember the first time I tried to connect Sync 3 showed the warning that some apps would no longer work while AA was running. That worried me and I cannot remember what I did. All I know is no matter what i do I don't see that warning anymore no matter what I do. Did I do something to scuttle the connection and now it will no longer try to connect?

GABAR 03-07-2018 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by SJMaye (Post 17846831)
I just bought a 2016 F-150 w/ Sync 3 and navigation. I have attempted to connect Android Auto now twice with no results. My phone is Android 5.0.1. I cannot remember my Sync 3 version, I have Android Auto running on my phone and connected via bluetooth. No USB charging cable connected. I have Android Auto enabled in Sync 3. The phone appears to be running AA fine. I check settings and it shows no vehicles connected. I see no way to manually connect to the Sync 3.

If it helps, I do remember the first time I tried to connect Sync 3 showed the warning that some apps would no longer work while AA was running. That worried me and I cannot remember what I did. All I know is no matter what i do I don't see that warning anymore no matter what I do. Did I do something to scuttle the connection and now it will no longer try to connect?

You must have your phone connected to USB to use Android Auto with SYNC and it`s also critical to use the USB cable provided by the manufacturer of your phone.

SJMaye 03-07-2018 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by GABAR (Post 17847095)
You must have your phone connected to USB to use Android Auto with SYNC and it`s also critical to use the USB cable provided by the manufacturer of your phone.

Now I am confused. I thought the whole point of connecting via bluetooth was to avoid the need for a cable. What is the bluetooth doing vs the usb cable?

By now I am not really sure I have the original LG cable. Will need to look.

GABAR 03-07-2018 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by SJMaye (Post 17847105)
Now I am confused. I thought the whole point of connecting via bluetooth was to avoid the need for a cable. What is the bluetooth doing vs the usb cable?

By now I am not really sure I have the original LG cable. Will need to look.

Bluetooth will still work but you just can`t use it through the SYNC system.

The cable enables Android Auto to work within the SYNC 3 System and the compatible apps.

Just type in connecting Android Auto with SYNC 3 in your browser on your computer and it`ll take you to YouTube videos showing you how to get it to work for you.

SJMaye 03-08-2018 04:47 AM

OK. I have not tried it yet, but it appears my whole problem was not using a USB cable. I still do not understand what part bluetooth plays in Android Auto, if any. Or is bluetooth just for connecting for using your phone through the truck controls?

JKBrad 03-08-2018 05:58 AM

I can play music off my phone and get video audio through bluetooth. I have the antiquated MFT/Sync2 though.

SJMaye 03-08-2018 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by JKBrad (Post 17849205)
I can play music off my phone and get video audio through bluetooth. I have the antiquated MFT/Sync2 though.

Telling my age here, but can you listen to books on "tape" through Android Auto or some other way? I like these for trips.

JKBrad 03-08-2018 06:11 AM

Download them in to your computer or laptop, then upload them into your phone, just like music. If they are on CD its a lot easier. If they are still on tape you can take them to a place that does media transfer and have them put on a CD. Less pricey would be a tape player with a USB output. Then you can download it into your computer as an MP3 file, then upload them onto your phone. Very time consuming if you have a lot of them.

SJMaye 03-08-2018 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by JKBrad (Post 17849235)
Download them in to your computer or laptop, then upload them into your phone, just like music. If they are on CD its a lot easier. If they are still on tape you can take them to a place that does media transfer and have them put on a CD. Less pricey would be a tape player with a USB output. Then you can download it into your computer as an MP3 file, then upload them onto your phone. Very time consuming if you have a lot of them.

Thanks for the thought, but I wasn't speaking literally. I have no books to have transferred. I was really wondering about how Sync 3 may be used with Amazon books or similar, Can I buy or rent a book on Amazon and listen to it somehow?

JKBrad 03-08-2018 06:35 AM

Oh, yeah. Buy then with your phone then they will be there in your audia files. Select the Bluetooth button on your entertainment screen and it will play through your truck.

SJMaye 03-08-2018 07:18 AM

Cool. Thx.

Still farting around with AA. I could not find the OEM phone USB cable yet. With a generic usb cable I connected up with AA. I went through the disclaimers etc all OK. I checked AA on my phone. Now it showed accepted connections as my truck. I see AA showing on my phone, but my truck does not. It shows a screen with Navigation on left, connection to phone on right and something else. The entire background of this screen is black. Definitely different from regular operation, but no reference to AA. I checked and the AA function is enabled on Sync 3. Think it is the cable?

GABAR 03-08-2018 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by SJMaye (Post 17849240)
Thanks for the thought, but I wasn't speaking literally. I have no books to have transferred. I was really wondering about how Sync 3 may be used with Amazon books or similar, Can I buy or rent a book on Amazon and listen to it somehow?

Yes.

If you download or rent "audio" books via Amazon books or any downloadable audio books source via an app, you will be able to listen to those books via bluetooth in your vehicle and no, the USB cable will not be required.

GABAR 03-08-2018 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by SJMaye (Post 17849361)
Cool. Thx.

Still farting around with AA. I could not find the OEM phone USB cable yet. With a generic usb cable I connected up with AA. I went through the disclaimers etc all OK. I checked AA on my phone. Now it showed accepted connections as my truck. I see AA showing on my phone, but my truck does not. It shows a screen with Navigation on left, connection to phone on right and something else. The entire background of this screen is black. Definitely different from regular operation, but no reference to AA. I checked and the AA function is enabled on Sync 3. Think it is the cable?

Remember, you can`t use a generic USB cable.

Believe it or not, there is a difference between the OEM USB cable and a generic one that can be picked up at a gas station or even a Dollar Store.

SJMaye 03-08-2018 08:52 AM

yep!! I found the OEM cable. It was labeled "data cable". Plugged it in and it worked fine. Thanks for the help. I think I am on my way.

GABAR 03-08-2018 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by SJMaye (Post 17849623)
yep!! I found the OEM cable. It was labeled "data cable". Plugged it in and it worked fine. Thanks for the help. I think I am on my way.

Awesome....Glad to hear things are looking up for you.

Have a great day.