Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Non-Death Wobble, Wobble (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1530527-non-death-wobble-wobble.html)

Large 03-02-2018 09:00 AM

Non-Death Wobble, Wobble

My search yielded little results in the non-death wobble steering wheel shake, so I hope this post will help someone out who has the same symptoms. If your truck is stock and doing this, I would take it to the dealer and make them fix it. My truck is lifted so I am on my own for now. Cheers!

Truck: 2017 F-250, 6.7L, Crew Cab short bed, Platinum trim. 6" Super Lift suspension, King coil over conversion, blocks and kings in the rear, stock wheels and tires until I can fix the issue.
Symptom: Steering wheel will shake left to right for a few seconds after a noticeable bump in the road or highway. Speed doesn't seem to matter, size and 'aggression' of the bump does, however. The larger the bump, the longer the wobble persists.
Solution 1: Alignment may be out of whack. Left the install shop, steering wheel was a bit off and if straightened out - the truck would pull left. Made an appointment, got an alignment (without a print out nonetheless), wobble persists.
Solution 2: PMF Steering stabilizer. Have it in the box, will install it this weekend hopefully and report back.
Solution 3: If the last solution doesn't work, here is where I will need help from y'all. Where do I go from there? The truck isn't dangerous to drive, just a little unsettling to me.

Any and all input is welcome. If I can't find a solution, back to stock I go and maybe do a mild level.

Tricon 03-02-2018 09:08 AM

It's called bump steer, pretty common on solid axles. Your new stabilizer should definitely help. If it doesn't, what track bar do you have installed?

tony m 6.7 03-02-2018 09:11 AM

I would think an upgraded steering stabilizer should do the trick. Let us know after you install yours. I've had good luck with both Bilstein ( on my 2012 ) and Fox (on my 2017) steering stabilizers.

rfbrain 03-02-2018 09:35 AM

The main culprit for Bump Steer is the Track Bar and Steering Drag Link are NOT Parallel to each other. This causes the Drag Link to input to the steering knuckle as the suspension moves up and down when hitting bumps..

Hackenbush 03-02-2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by rfbrain (Post 17836127)
The main culprit for Bump Steer is the Track Bar and Steering Drag Link are NOT Parallel to each other. This causes the Drag Link to input to the steering knuckle as the suspension moves up and down when hitting bumps..

Correct.. Thats why I use the track bar relocation bracket, Instead of the adjustable track bar to pull it back over to stock location,
It lowers the track bar back down almost parallel with the drag link. Anything over 2 1/2" lift I'd use both Bracket & adjustable track bar. No DW on any of my trucks.

Tricon 03-02-2018 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hackenbush (Post 17836169)
Correct.. Thats why I use the track bar relocation bracket, Instead of the adjustable track bar to pull it back over to stock location,
It lowers the track bar back down almost parallel with the drag link. Anything over 2 1/2" lift I'd use both Bracket & adjustable track bar. No DW on any of my trucks.

It looks like Super lift just uses a huge drop bracket and drop pitman arm. OP, is this your lift? https://www.superlift.com/6-inch-kin...ear-shocks-4wd

I would check and make sure the pitman arm is tight (and actually installed) and that the drop bracket is tight and track bar is torqued to 406 lb ft. That's the problem with 6" lifts, they change so much of the geometry up there, you never know what you're going to get.

Large 03-05-2018 11:11 AM

Alright guys, reporting back in! We will have to change the name of the thread .... After driving the truck for a bit, worried about the bump steer and making this post, I decided to do a longer drive.

At the time I made this post, the truck had not gone over 40 mph. After making this post, I went for an hour long drive and twice I got the full on death wobble. Truck shook violently, not to mention I was doing 70 MPH both times it happened. Pretty scary stuff to say the least.

Installed PMF stabilizer, no death wobble and bump steer is pretty much non-existent. This was 250 miles or so after the death wobble accidents.
Yes I drove a lot this weekend, purposely trying to get the truck to do the death wobble but I couldn't get it to. if it had done it again I would have taken it back to the shop
and made them put the truck back to stock.

Alright tricon says pitman arm is 406 ft. lbs, anyone else have more torque numbers? When I went to pick the truck up from this 'reputable' installer, I asked if they torqued anything, his exact words were, 'no we just tighten the **** out of it'. Yeah .. no more business from me. When I installed the stabilizer, I followed all instructions to a T, and PMF kindly gave a PDF doc with all the torque specs.

Large 03-05-2018 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tricon (Post 17836311)
It looks like Super lift just uses a huge drop bracket and drop pitman arm. OP, is this your lift? https://www.superlift.com/6-inch-kin...ear-shocks-4wd

I would check and make sure the pitman arm is tight (and actually installed) and that the drop bracket is tight and track bar is torqued to 406 lb ft. That's the problem with 6" lifts, they change so much of the geometry up there, you never know what you're going to get.

Yes sir! That's the one. Will do.

Buliwyf 03-05-2018 11:15 AM

Noone torques that bolt. Just hit it with a known powerful impact until it stops. LOLz, don't ax them just cause of that.

Large 03-05-2018 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Buliwyf (Post 17842336)
Noone torques that bolt. Just hit it with a known powerful impact until it stops. LOLz, don't ax them just cause of that.

Not plannin on axing anyone because of one bolt, but they didn't torque any bolts. It is what it is.

Tricon 03-05-2018 11:23 AM

Its the track bar that's 406lbs, Pitman arm I'm not sure about, but when the front end feels loose its almost always the trackbar has worked itself lose.

Every offroad shop I know around here knows this and definitely torques to spec. Not sure about around you, but one guy with a 2 ft breaker bar probably isn't going to get it to 400 lbs.

Large 03-05-2018 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tricon (Post 17842365)
Its the track bar that's 406lbs, Pitman arm I'm not sure about, but when the front end feels loose its almost always the trackbar has worked itself lose.

Every offroad shop I know around here knows this and definitely torques to spec. Not sure about around you, but one guy with a 2 ft breaker bar probably isn't going to get it to 400 lbs.

Ehh went through a divorce, lost my garage and all my tools are in storage. I can swing by and grab my torque wrench and do it myself. It's 4' long and I'm about 230 lbs so we will see.

Tricon 03-05-2018 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Large (Post 17842380)
Ehh went through a divorce, lost my garage and all my tools are in storage. I can swing by and grab my torque wrench and do it myself. It's 4' long and I'm about 230 lbs so we will see.

You should definitely be able to with a 4ft bar, that's only about 100 lbs of force needed.

FONRDAY 03-05-2018 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Large (Post 17836038)
My search yielded little results in the non-death wobble steering wheel shake, so I hope this post will help someone out who has the same symptoms. If your truck is stock and doing this, I would take it to the dealer and make them fix it. My truck is lifted so I am on my own for now. Cheers!

Truck: 2017 F-250, 6.7L, Crew Cab short bed, Platinum trim. 6" Super Lift suspension, King coil over conversion, blocks and kings in the rear, stock wheels and tires until I can fix the issue.
Symptom: Steering wheel will shake left to right for a few seconds after a noticeable bump in the road or highway. Speed doesn't seem to matter, size and 'aggression' of the bump does, however. The larger the bump, the longer the wobble persists.
Solution 1: Alignment may be out of whack. Left the install shop, steering wheel was a bit off and if straightened out - the truck would pull left. Made an appointment, got an alignment (without a print out nonetheless), wobble persists.
Solution 2: PMF Steering stabilizer. Have it in the box, will install it this weekend hopefully and report back.
Solution 3: If the last solution doesn't work, here is where I will need help from y'all. Where do I go from there? The truck isn't dangerous to drive, just a little unsettling to me.

Any and all input is welcome. If I can't find a solution, back to stock I go and maybe do a mild level.

ITS PROBABLY THOSE LITTE TIRES YOUR RUNING WITH THAT BIG OF A LIFT ,YOUR SUSPENSION IS TO STIFF KINGS ARE MADE FOR BIG TIRES THAT WIEGH A LOT

Gary E 03-05-2018 03:48 PM

Has the change in caster angle been addressed?