Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Early 99 V Late 99 ( sorry if repost) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1528179-early-99-v-late-99-sorry-if-repost.html)

riverslandscaping 02-13-2018 03:58 PM

Early 99 V Late 99 ( sorry if repost)

Hello, Im sure there is a good thread in here some where but since this is my second time posting, I cannot find a post through here.

Currently looking at buying a 99 F-350 DRW cab and chasis ( has a flatbed on it) Build date of 5/98 so early 99. It says it has 140k on the clock. What are the main differences between the E99 and L99s? A link to another thread would be just fine! Ive found another thread on a differnt site but I have a set of my own questions.

I own a Landscapng company in Montana. I currently have a 2000 7.3 F250 XLT supercab short box, my daily driver. I do quite a bit of towing and plow snow with it ( a ton of snow this year) I also have a 2006 F250 with the 5.4 that my crew drives. Ive really learned a lot about the 7.3s since I bought my first one ( the 2000) 2 years ago. So as my business grows and my fleet expands, I would like to find a few more 7.3s for ease of maintenance between the fleet. Plus ive been realtivily happy with the 7.3 ( quite a few little issues came up this winter, but Ive put nearly 15k on it since November, mostly with a plow on the front)

Getting back to my prospective purchase. 1999 F350 DRW with flat bed. 140k on the clock. From what I can tell, this has been in a fleet its whole life. It comes with a BOSS plow ( one of the reasons I want to buy it) Supposedly had regular maintenance. Hes replaced the HPOP ( dont know if it was upgraded) and also #3 and #5 injectors ( wish he woulda done all of them) Not looking to really upgrade it much at all. Its just gonna be a tow rig and plow rig.

For my uses, anything I should be leary of between my current 2000 7.3 and this E99? Will the maintenance generally be the same? Transmission cooling is a concern for me with plowing and towing. From what I know it dosnt have the same cooling system as my 2000? A temp gauge will be added immediately after i buy the truck if I do. I found the thread on what to look for when buying a 7.3 ( thanks for that), So im mainly just looking for some input on the E99 v 99.5+ specifically for my uses ( boring truck not really needing to upgrade it) Thanks In advance! Sorry if im dragging up an old thread

Walleye Hunter 02-13-2018 04:20 PM

The differences are minuscule and, for the most part, will be unnoticeable except when buying a few parts. They will ask for your VIN and you should keep in handy. You are correct, the transmission does not cool through the radiator as the later versions do and you may want to upgrade that. Mine does not have tranny cooling through the radiator but I do have a larger pan on it, I don't know if it makes a difference or not but for my applications it makes no difference. The other differences are in the turbo and intake parts that are really insignificant except when you need parts for that. There are some differences in the front suspension and the front hubs and brake rotors are different. Your front sway bar end links and mounting brackets are different and probably the splines on the steering box, should it need replaced. Passenger's side rear brake caliper is different and it will have a Dana 50 rear in the front, not a 60. No cruise control light and no passenger's side air bag. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Colorado350 02-13-2018 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a list of things I came across and kept for reference.