Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   Wanted to introduce myself..... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1527737-wanted-to-introduce-myself.html)

F100-1969 02-10-2018 08:25 AM

Wanted to introduce myself.....

3 Attachment(s)
Proud new owner of a 1969 Ford 100. Not sure which model it is, vin# F10YKF36946. I seems that someone had started a mild restoration on it 5-10 years ago, possibly sooner. It was repainted to a maroon color and the weather stripping on most of the truck is in good shape. The suspension, engine, and brakes on the other may need a lot of work.

This is not going to be a show truck by any means, I am heading towards a dependable and safe driver for when I want to head to the local hardware store or one of my sons baseball games. I have had the truck for about a week now and went to the DMV to have the title transferred over. I was not able to get the truck registered or inspected yet due to it needing new tires and having an issue with the turn signals. I would like to get some ideas from yall on where I may want to head next. The truck does start right up when I turn the key, the issue is that when I step on the gas the truck dies. So i'm thinking that the carburetor may need a good cleaning with carb cleaner or a rebuild. I know the brakes need work, definitely need new brake lines, rotors, and pads for the front discs. The rear are drums so I guess i need to get a drum brake kit for them.

HIO Silver 02-10-2018 08:50 AM

Welcome aboard.

Do a bumper to bumper evaluation, some of which appears ya may have done already. Make three lists of have to do, nice to do, and a watch list.

Give it a tune up and rebuild the carb to establish a base line on those items.

... brakes, steering, safety, and reliability should be your first priorities.

.. order up some free catalogs from Summit Racing, National Parts Depot, LMC Truck, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, and Dennis Carpenter so ya know what is available and the cost points.

... create a mini library of reference materials.

... laminated wiring diagrams are nice!

MTB17 02-10-2018 08:54 AM

Good looking truck. Good find with pws, pwb, and A/c. Chrome looks great. Sounds like your on the right track with mechanical trouble shooting. It’s an F100 and if you post the data plate on drivers door we can tell you more about it.

ultraranger 02-10-2018 10:32 AM

Nice looking truck with plenty of potential. The head light bezels are for a '69 Ranger. The grille itself is from a '67.

If the truck has front discs, someone has swapped them on. All '67-'72 F100s would originally have come with 4-wheel drums. The power brake booster is from a Dentside truck (the front discs likely came from the same donor the brake booster came off of).

JEFFFAFA 02-10-2018 11:28 AM

Welcome to FTE and the Bumpside Kingdom.:-wink
Nice looking truck. I like the color. :-X22
While I agree you ought to rebuild the carb, a full tune up should be done to give yourself a baseline. I mean the full on boogie. Cap,rotor,wires,plugs,points,condenser (if it still has a points Dizzy), filters,PCV, and rubber. Belts and hoses. If it does still have points instead of a pertronix points delete, get ONLY GENUINE FORD (MOTORCRAFT) points and condenser. There is a bunch of junk made in china condensers out there.
Points.....part number B8Q12171A (DP12)
Condenser....part number C9AZ12300A (DC13A)
Yes, still available from Ford. Set the points at .017. Better at 30 degrees of dwell if you use a dwell meter. Then check the engine's timing. Set it at 10 degrees BTDC. If it gives you a hint of spark knock on the test drive, pull the timing back to 8 degrees.
Now, along with the tune up, part of your stalling problem may be that cobbled together PCV hose I see. May be a vacuum leak. Go here, www.dennis-carpenter.com and buy a new repro PCV hose part number C7TZ6A664B. And get one of their catalogs as Hio suggested.
Some other things I noticed. The A/C is add on. Not factory Ford. The heater core is by-passed. The P/S may have been added like the disc brakes were. I've never seen a cobbled P/S pressure hose like that before.
You having T/S problems? Don't know what they are but I'd bet you need a new T/S switch. You might buy that and the PCV hose together. Let us know when you are ready to install the T/S switch. You'll need a steering wheel puller. But also there's a trick to feeding the wires down the inside of the column.;)

F100-1969 02-10-2018 11:54 AM

Plate

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the plate from the drivers side door.

F100-1969 02-10-2018 12:10 PM

yes

Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA (Post 17789097)
While I agree you ought to rebuild the carb, a full tune up should be done to give yourself a baseline. I mean the full on boogie. Cap,rotor,wires,plugs,points,condenser (if it still has a points Dizzy), filters,PCV, and rubber. Belts and hoses. If it does still have points instead of a pertronix points delete, get ONLY GENUINE FORD (MOTORCRAFT) points and condenser. There is a bunch of junk made in china condensers out there.
Yes, still available from Ford. Set the points at .017. Better at 30 degrees of dwell if you use a dwell meter. Then check the engine's timing. Set it at 10 degrees BTDC. If it gives you a hint of spark knock on the test drive, pull the timing back to 8 degrees.
Now, along with the tune up, part of your stalling problem may be that cobbled together PCV hose I see. May be a vacuum leak. Go here, www.dennis-carpenter.com and buy a new repro PCV hose part number C7TZ6A664B. And get one of their catalogs as Hio suggested.
Some other things I noticed. The A/C is add on. Not factory Ford. The heater core is by-passed. The P/S may have been added like the disc brakes were. I've never seen a cobbled P/S pressure hose like that before.
You having T/S problems? Don't know what they are but I'd bet you need a new T/S switch. Also available from Dennis Carpenter. Their part number C9TZ13341C. You might buy that and the PCV hose together. Let us know when you are ready to install the T/S switch. You'll need a steering wheel puller. But also there's a trick to feeding the wires down the inside of the column.;)

You couldn't be more correct about the t/s switch, I'd guess that I need a new turn signal switch as well seein how they don't work. Just out of curiosity, how do you know which t/s switch to buy, there are 2 different versions? Wasn't sure where to start looking for that one yet. I was thinking that I may need the t/s flasher as well. it's hanging below the dash on the drivers side i believe.

F100-1969 02-10-2018 12:13 PM

interior

1 Attachment(s)
Picture of the interior.

JEFFFAFA 02-10-2018 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by F100-1969 (Post 17789164)
Picture of the interior.

Woah! I deleted the part number I had originally posted above for the T/S switch. Good thing you posted a pic of the interior. That is a column out of a 78/79 Dentside truck. Takes a different T/S switch. Also it leads me to believe your PO did add the P/S. Your T/S prolly don't work because the installer of that later column prolly didn't hook the column's wires to the truck's wires correctly. It may or not be a Tilt Column. Push the T/S lever forward towards the dash. "If" it is a tilt column the steering wheel will jump upwards. It's spring loaded so keep your chin away.
You can go here How to Install a Tilt Steering Column - FORDification.com to see how the wiring is to be connected correctly. This is info about a tilt column. Even if yours isn't, the info in that article is the same.

You might also consider buying this from Dennis Carpenter.

Instrument Cluster Bezel
Black & Chrome

http://cdnll.dennis-carpenter.com/im...TZ-10876-A.jpg

MakeModelBody StyleNotesYearFordTruckF100/350except Ranger 1967-72

Our Low Price:$124.95
<h1>Instrument Cluster Bezel
Black & Chrome
1967 - 72 </h1>C9TZ-10876-A
4.5 Star
Black & Chrome
  • Cluster Lens not included. Order separately
Dennis Carpenter proudly carries parts, like our 1967-72 Instrument Cluster Bezel, that are Official Licensed by FORD. Made in USA.

Official Ford Licensed goods are produced to quality and safety standards set by Ford Motor Company.
StatusIn Stock

.imgBox:hover { -moz-box-shadow: 0 0 10px #ccc; -webkit-box-shadow: 0 0 10px #ccc; box-shadow: 0 0 10px #ccc; }

http://cdnll.dennis-carpenter.com/im...nusabadge3.png http://cdnll.dennis-carpenter.com/im...ficialford.png

ultraranger 02-10-2018 01:13 PM

The column looks to be a tilt. Push forward on the turn signal lever and the wheel should swing upwards.

The steering wheel will have 5 position settings if it's a tilt: wheel set in the center position, 2 positions above center and 2 positions below center.

If it is a tilt wheel, it'll require a (more expensive) TSS specific to it --fixed column TSS not the same.

F100-1969 02-10-2018 01:18 PM

I can see already that the hardest part of this build is going to be figuring out what the people before me have done to this truck.

willowbilly3 02-10-2018 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA (Post 17789097)
You having T/S problems? Don't know what they are but I'd bet you need a new T/S switch. You might buy that and the PCV hose together. Let us know when you are ready to install the T/S switch. You'll need a steering wheel puller. But also there's a trick to feeding the wires down the inside of the column.;)

All good stuff but first things first and do a compression test to make sure you have a tunable engine. The first place to look for lighting problems is up under the rear. I'd say over half the time it is a taped up mess with cracked and petrified original wireing and a lifetime of hack repairs.

NumberDummy 02-10-2018 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by F100-1969 (Post 17789132)
Here is the plate from the drivers side door.

Pic doesn't appear when post is quoted, so I had to type the info.

Warranty Number: F10YKF36946 / WB: 131 / COLOR: V / MODEL: F100 / BODY: 181 / TRANS: B / AXLE: 08 / MAX GVW LBS: 05000 / CERT NET HP: 172 / RPM: 4000 / DSO: 62
However the truck is red, while the original color was light aqua. The grille is from a 1967, the headlamp doors are from a '69 Ranger that would have come w/upper & lower body side mouldings.

Compare the VIN on the title/registration to the VIN on the Warranty Plate to see if they match. If they do not, none of the following info will be correct.

F10 = F100 2WD

Y = 360 2V

K = Kansas City MO Assembly Plant.

F36946 = 1969.

131" Wheelbase.

V = Light Aqua.

F100 2WD, 5,000 lbs. GVWR

181: 1 = Dark Blue Corinthian Vinyl & Dark Blue Shetland Check Cloth / 81B = Custom Cab or Ranger.

B = Borg-Warner T-85N 3 Speed Manual with Overdrive.

08 = Ford 9" Rear Axle / 3.50-1 / 3,300 lbs. Rear Axle Capacity.

5,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

175 net HP @ 4,000 RPM

62 = Houston TX Ford District Sales Office, where the original selling dealer ordered the truck from.

GaryKip 02-11-2018 03:06 AM

Welcome to THE Forum. Your truck looks very nice. It appears that the Previous Owner (PO) did quite a bit of work for you already. All of us have had a few (or more) things to fix from our PO's work. So you're not alone there. Read the stickie notes"Read this First" stuff at the top of our forum page, it will help a bunch.

F100-1969 02-11-2018 06:24 AM

Will do, thanks guys.

Another questions?? Since the column has been changed out and is from a 78/79 truck and is now automatic.....it would be obvious that the old T85-N manual transmission has been changed out to a different transmission? Where would I look to see what the newer trans is?