Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   '06 E150 4.6 noise/oil pressure (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1526697-06-e150-4-6-noise-oil-pressure.html)

JaxJim 02-02-2018 02:30 PM

'06 E150 4.6 noise/oil pressure

I've got a 4.6L with 190k that has been sitting for a couple of months. Thought it best to fire it up and get the juices flowing and when I did it made an unusual noise that I can't explain but it was enough to make me shut it down. Waited a few minutes and tried to start it again and all I got was a single dull clunk coming from the starter area. Thinking the starter may have decided to give up the ghost, I took it to Autozone for testing. Failed first test but passed the second, I still opted to get a reman and put it in. Starter made same noise next start attempt. Called Autozone and was told they think the bendix had gotten misaligned from the flywheel. Got an 18mm socket and 12" breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley nut and spun the engine counter-clockwise just slightly and tried to start it again. Same noise from the starter. Took off the flywheel inspection cover and spun the engine enough to almost completely check the entire flywheel. (teeth were all good) I was able to spin the engine with some effort but without taking out the plugs which doesn't seem right to me. Back to Autozone with the "new" starter and after testing both it and it's replacement I am back under the van and installed the starter. (in between all of this I had the battery tested just in case)
Now, this time the van starts right up but is making a noise that I first thought was a cracked header but it had a more metallic sound to it. The noise sped up with engine speed and remained at the same pitch. After 15-20 seconds the CHECK GAGES light comes on. The oil pressure "idiot light" gauge was half of what it would normally run at and suddenly went to zero. Shut it down needless to say. All fluid levels checked out.
All of this is completely out of the blue as it was a daily worker for me without any issues until I parked it the first part of December. I am in the northern part of Florida so it's not really cold.
Was told the crankshaft rotates clockwise and to prevent from loosening the pulley nut that I should spin the pulley counter-clockwise. If this was wrong did I mess up something internally? I have time to spend but not too much $$.

JaxJim 02-05-2018 02:13 PM

Took a short video of the dash and posted it on YouTube. Here is the link.
The audio isn't true to the ear. It is definitely a metal on metal noise. Sounds fuzzy in the video. Don't know if this will help someone give me an idea what might be wrong.
Thanks!

JaxJim 03-03-2018 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by JaxJim (Post 17771135)
I've got a 4.6L with 190k that has been sitting for a couple of months. Thought it best to fire it up and get the juices flowing and when I did it made an unusual noise that I can't explain but it was enough to make me shut it down. Waited a few minutes and tried to start it again and all I got was a single dull clunk coming from the starter area. Thinking the starter may have decided to give up the ghost, I took it to Autozone for testing. Failed first test but passed the second, I still opted to get a reman and put it in. Starter made same noise next start attempt. Called Autozone and was told they think the bendix had gotten misaligned from the flywheel. Got an 18mm socket and 12" breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley nut and spun the engine counter-clockwise just slightly and tried to start it again. Same noise from the starter. Took off the flywheel inspection cover and spun the engine enough to almost completely check the entire flywheel. (teeth were all good) I was able to spin the engine with some effort but without taking out the plugs which doesn't seem right to me. Back to Autozone with the "new" starter and after testing both it and it's replacement I am back under the van and installed the starter. (in between all of this I had the battery tested just in case)
Now, this time the van starts right up but is making a noise that I first thought was a cracked header but it had a more metallic sound to it. The noise sped up with engine speed and remained at the same pitch. After 15-20 seconds the CHECK GAGES light comes on. The oil pressure "idiot light" gauge was half of what it would normally run at and suddenly went to zero. Shut it down needless to say. All fluid levels checked out.
All of this is completely out of the blue as it was a daily worker for me without any issues until I parked it the first part of December. I am in the northern part of Florida so it's not really cold.
Was told the crankshaft rotates clockwise and to prevent from loosening the pulley nut that I should spin the pulley counter-clockwise. If this was wrong did I mess up something internally? I have time to spend but not too much $$.

***UPDATE*** Decided to verify oil pressure first. Went to Harbor Freight and got an oil pressure test kit and hooked it up to the sending unit port. Started her up and the needle on the gauge didn't budge. Now I am in the middle of the tear down needed to get to the oil pump. Got the valve covers off and noticed the chain on the passenger side has a lot of slop in it. Drivers side is tight. I am guessing that when the timing chain cover comes off I'll find a broken tensioner (I hope)

JaxJim 03-19-2018 11:51 AM

***UPDATE*** Not sure about the slop in timing chain. Decided to put a whole new timing set in while it was accessible. New oil pump was primed and put in. Bolted everything up, fired it up and have the same conditions that existed before I tore it down. Same noise and no oil pressure (as seen on dash gauge) Took oil sending unit out again and hooked up analog gauge, removed fuel pump relay, put the gas pedal to the metal and spun the engine and got zero on the gauge. Took gauge off of the hose and rigged up a pesticide sprayer to the hose and pumped 4 quarts of oil into the engine. Reconnected the gauge and spun the engine again and got a measly 6 psi oil pressure. Has ANYBODY seen or heard of these issues?? I don't want to junk the van if I don't have to! ANY ideas are welcome!!

Im50fast 03-19-2018 08:23 PM

6 Psi while cranking the engine actually seems normal to my judgment. I don’t know, but it seems OK.

JaxJim 03-20-2018 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Im50fast (Post 17873397)
6 Psi while cranking the engine actually seems normal to my judgment. I don’t know, but it seems OK.

Seeing some pressure made me feel good enough to start it up. I only saw 10 psi with the engine idling.

JaxJim 10-11-2018 07:31 AM

I wanted to put a cap on this thread so that this mysterious, unsolved issue can be explained for historical reference. Basically what I had was an unknown blown head gasket. It must have been failing within a few days of me parking it for an extended time. Coolant leaked into #1 cylinder and when I started it, after sitting for a month, the connecting rod for #1 cylinder piston snapped, thus giving me the metallic noise I was hearing. I didn't discover this until I dropped the oil pan and saw small metal pieces and a little water. I am still not sure as to the reason for the loss of oil pressure. I have been told that might be due to a spun bearing. Either way, I have sold the van as-is.