Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Car/truck Buying Advice (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum22/)
-   -   Ford restriction on export (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1525692-ford-restriction-on-export.html)

F150-Stuttgart 01-26-2018 05:07 AM

Ford restriction on export

Hello everybody.
I want to buy a F150. Unfortunately they are not being sold here in Germany so I have to buy it with a third person that will import it for me.
Since I want the CNG/LPG Prep Package I possibly need to let Ford build this truck for me. Now the imports man told me that Ford says that a car has to stay in the USA/Canada for at least six monthts after I buy it before it can be exported. Is that correct?
Thanks for your help and sorry if my english isn't 100% correct

F150-Stuttgart 01-30-2018 10:27 AM

Does no one know about it or have an idea where I can get this information?
Greetings from Germany

Olds64 01-30-2018 12:11 PM

Who did you contact about purchasing a CNG/LPG f150? Since you can't buy a new f150 locally, have you inquired with your government about registering and driving this truck in Germany? I would think your easiest course of action would be to purchase the truck while in the U.S. and have it shipped to Germany (or have a trusted friend or company do it for you). Of course, maybe a CNG/LPG f150 is available in the UK too. Perhaps it would be easier buying it there... :confused:

Schau mal :eek:

https://www.wcshipping.com/

Ich hab in 2001 in der Naehe von Schwaebisch Gmuend gearbeitet. Ich war Praktikanbt bei TRW in Alfdorf.

F150-Stuttgart 01-30-2018 04:07 PM

Edit: Sorry for double post

F150-Stuttgart 01-31-2018 07:36 AM

Thank you for your answer! Actually its not a LPG F150 but a F150 with the "CNG/LPG Gaseous Engine Prep Package." which you can choose as an option when building your own truck in the configurator. This package prepares the engine to run on gas (hardened valves and valve seats as far as I know). I'm in contact with a company that is spezialized on Mustangs here in Germany. He is importing Mustangs and F150s from Canada. I'd prefer to install the LPG system in the US or Canada because I know that there are some companies working together with Ford. But in the EU the gas tanks have to be tested, certified and marked with a specific code that only exists in the EU (it sucks...). So I dont have a choice here.
Meanwhile I found out that the automakers in the US/Canada tell their dealers to not sell cars for export. I think thats why the company here in Germany sais I will have to wait 6 months after I bought the truck. Have you heard of that "rule" ?

PS: cool! How did you like Schäbisch Gmünd? Its about 40km away from where I live

seventyseven250 01-31-2018 07:42 AM

I'm not sure if this is a Ford restriction or a government one. Canada ships a lot of used trucks to the USA because of the currency difference and I know those trucks need to be six months old regardless of brand.
Might be part of the NAFTA or WTO trade agreements?

F150-Stuttgart 01-31-2018 07:52 AM

If this is a restriction by government i would have to wait 7 to 9 months before the truck will be shipped to Germany. Thats a whole lot of time to pay in advance. I wrote Ford a mail about it. I hope they will answer soon. I will let you know what they wrote.

Olds64 01-31-2018 08:06 AM

I know CNG cars in OK have to get inspections on the tanks every 5 years or so. You often see used Ford Crown Vics and a few f150s with CNG engines that sell for cheap because the certification on the tanks is expired.

It's a bummer you're having difficulty purchasing a truck for export. My wife and I recently bought a Kia in Houston, TX and ended up not paying sales tax on it in TX because we had to pay taxes on it in OK.

Hopefully you can find a company to act as your legal representative in the U.S. or Canada. They could purchase the vehicle and export it without telling the dealership anything about its intended use. It seems wether you drive a new vehicle, use it in a demolition derby, export it to the moon or set it on fire it isn't any business of the dealership selling it. I hope you can figure it out. :-X22

seventyseven250 01-31-2018 08:23 AM

Might be easier to just find a lightly used fleet truck. I think that gaseous fuel prep is common for some fleets. Find some of the industrial leasing companies and see if they can do the legwork for you.
Might want a Canadian truck too, since 8tll already be in kilometres.

Jim Pattison lease is a company here that does that near me. Driving force is another. I'm sure there are lots of others.

F150-Stuttgart 01-31-2018 02:16 PM

I already got an answer. Really fast!

"Ford and Lincoln dealerships are independently owned and operated; and therefore may set their own sales and business practices. I cannot say as to whether you would be able to order a 2018 F-150 and have it exported to Germany.

Thank you for contacting Ford of Canada. "

For me it sounds like they don't want to give a clear answer here. I read about dealers being punished by the automakers for selling cars for export.

Olds64 02-01-2018 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by seventyseven250 (Post 17765263)
Might be easier to just find a lightly used fleet truck. I think that gaseous fuel prep is common for some fleets. Find some of the industrial leasing companies and see if they can do the legwork for you.
Might want a Canadian truck too, since 8tll already be in kilometres.

Jim Pattison lease is a company here that does that near me. Driving force is another. I'm sure there are lots of others.

Both good ideas. I suppose you probably wouldn't have a Ford warranty on a slightly used truck. But, would a Ford dealer in Germany honor the warranty on a car that was purchased in the U.S. / Canada? :confused:

seventyseven250 02-01-2018 12:00 PM

Nobody in Europe is giving a warranty on a North American market pickup anyway.

F150-Stuttgart 02-02-2018 07:12 AM

Thank you for your answers!
You are right. There are no guarantees in both directions. All i get here are recalls.
The leasing companies might be a solution. The last two years Ive been checking autotrader every week, searching for the truck with the equipment that I want. Never found it. I guess its too specific.
I want the XLT, V8 with CNG/LPG package, Supercrew, the 6,5' Bed, big screen, heated seats and the front bench. I dont know why, but looks like nobody is buying this combo.
The salesman here in germany told me that there is a way to bypass the 6 months waiting time, but that its not possible to get the Tax back. In Toronto thats 13% if Im not wrong.

seventyseven250 02-02-2018 08:08 AM

Well no reason to buy from Toronto. Tax varies across the country.

F150-Stuttgart 04-13-2018 04:49 AM

To give you guys a little update. Meanwhile I bought a 2015 XLT, Supercrew, 6.5 bed and V8 with around 75k km.
As soon as I have the truck here in Germany I will take some pictures and I will introduce it in the correct section.
Thanks for your time and advice.
Greetings from Germany.